GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Different rules for under age 18? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=227224)

naraht 03-10-2017 11:16 AM

Different rules for under age 18?

With the comments in other threads about 18 being the age of Majority, I'm reminded that on the initiation forms for Alpha Phi Omega, a signature of a parent was required if the initiate was not yet 18. I turned 18 the day that Initiated so that wasn't an issue for me (I pledged first semester freshman year and was born in December) (I was active 1986-1990)

Are there other GLOs out there that have this or have other special rules (or even won't pledge!) students who haven't reached age 18?

Kevin 03-10-2017 11:26 AM

It is so rare that this really hasn't come up. The exposure on our end is pretty minimal. Maybe they don't pay their dues and we can't sue them? There aren't a lot of legal remedies you'd need against members aside from financial, so I'm not sure it's that big a deal. It's never come up though. Interesting question.

ETA: Now that I think about it, the Omega Fi forms we have does have a line for a guarantor to sign if we ask them to. If it came up, we'd just require someone to act as a guarantor for the dues debt.

honeychile 03-10-2017 03:05 PM

I was 16 when I pledged ADPi, and I received the dreaded, "You didn't get a bid" call on Bid Night. Actually, neither ADPi nor Kappa had realized that I was under 18, and they required parental consent for me to pledge. Granted, it was back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, and things could be different now. Also, Pennsylvania has some freaky laws.

It was somewhat funny at the time. I was commuting at the time, and my mother had answered the phone. She talked to the Greek Advisor, assured her that she & my daddy would sign off on any necessary papers, then demanded, "Did Honey get a bid or not?!" (*Cringe!*) Obviously, I had, but they didn't tell me to which sorority until I went back to campus to get my bid with the other PNMs.

jolene 03-10-2017 11:50 PM

I don't know if it's changed, but DPhiE could take NMs under 18. My old roomie was a sister and mentioned it to me. They took a 17 year old that fall.

Titchou 03-11-2017 08:05 AM

Yes, we require a co-signer if the woman has not reached the age of majority in the state where the chapter is located.

Happy Alum 03-11-2017 09:09 AM

One of our sisters was 16 when she pledged. We liked that she was the same age as two of our founders.

DoctorD 03-11-2017 09:30 AM

My daughter was 17 when she joined her chapter a few years ago. So were a few others in her pledge class.

DGTess 03-11-2017 09:58 AM

Also from the dinosaur era (I pledged in '73) - I had just turned 17 when I pledged, and was not yet 18 when I initiated, and no questions were asked.

AZ-AlphaXi 03-11-2017 11:02 AM

DGTess .. your experience sounds just like mine. I was 17 years and 2 months when I pledged in fall of 1970 and initiated 6 months later. No questions were ever asked that I know of. There were 6 of us from my high school that had graduated a year early that pledged that year. I pledged Alpha Xi Delta, 1 pledged ADPi, and the others pledged Chi Omega.

Titchou 03-11-2017 01:54 PM

When I was ATC in 91 we had an underage NM and had to get her parents to sign her dues and fees contract.

AGDee 03-11-2017 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctorD (Post 2428746)
My daughter was 17 when she joined her chapter a few years ago. So were a few others in her pledge class.

I think they knew you were ok with it :)

aephi alum 03-11-2017 06:28 PM

AEPhi requires a parent to co-sign financial obligation forms for new members who are under 18 (at least, we did back in the day - I'd be surprised if that's not still policy).