GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   from the author of Pledged (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=49385)

robbins 04-12-2004 10:32 AM

from the author of Pledged

Hi GCers,

(Sorry this is such a long post!)

Usually it’s not advisable for an author to post on message boards, but I wanted to do so in this case because the opinions of members of this board matter to me. (Last year, after a member of this board told me about Greekchat, I requested permission from a moderator to post a query asking if I could observe any of your sororities’ community service events, but I was turned down.)

First, I want to let you know that Pledged is not an attack on sororities, and I am not anti-GLO. The book description that was posted is outdated and should be replaced in the near future (book descriptions aren’t written by authors). Essentially, Pledged involves the following: The narrative threads of the book are the stories of four sisters throughout an academic year – four terrific women whom I hope and intend readers, both Greek and non-Greek, to relate to and root for. I don’t think it spoils anything to reveal to you that by the end of the year, none of the girls deactivated, unlike in the first MTV show. One reason I wrote this book was because my friends in sororities told me that the MTV show was neither accurate nor fair. They told me that the media tends to bash sororities without giving them a fair chance or a truthful, thorough portrayal. So I went into this hoping to come out with a truthful and balanced book, which I (and my sorority friends who have read it) think it is, as much as it could be; the sorority to which three of the main girls belong has successfully cracked down on hazing, for example. Hazing, by the way, is mostly limited to one section of one chapter – it’s not dwelled on – and I specifically state in Pledged things like, for instance, I didn’t want to get into an extended discussion of alcohol abuse because I think that’s a college phenomenon, not a GLO-specific activity, though the media often treats it as such.

The other thread in this book is a journalistic one. I know, from the sentiments expressed on this board, especially, that one cannot base an image of sororities on a few renegade sisters, which I state explicitly in the Introduction. So in addition to following these four sisters, I interviewed hundreds – close to a thousand – sorority sisters. I visited sisters and attended sorority events at schools across the country to get as complete a sense as possible of what sorority life is like. The list of negative aspects in that description didn’t all happen in one of the sororities I followed. In fact, I chose the four girls I most focus on because their sororities were, as the description suggests, “typical.” By typical I don’t mean stereotypical: these were goodhearted, smart, kind girls in a sorority that was fairly middle-of-the-road – a nice, well-liked group not known on campus for any extreme stereotype, that didn’t haze much, cared about spirit activities, had a mix of personalities, etc. This choice was meant to show non-GLO readers that most sorority girls aren’t so different from GDIs.

I do understand why, given the odd subject of my last book, GLO members would view Pledged skeptically before having read it. But I should point out both that Secrets of the Tomb is more of a tame, researched history than a sensationalized expose – and that, unlike the sources in that book, the sources in Pledged are very dear to me.

I can’t control what the print media chooses to extrapolate from the book (and yes I do see the irony in a member of the media who has written on this subject talking about how the media is sensationalizing the work!), but I do tell every interviewer that there are positives to sorority life and that the four main characters in this book are amazing sorority women.

You are totally welcome to email me about the book. I welcome a dialogue, especially from GCers who can tell me what they think of the portrayal of sorority life and the suggestions and ideas in the Conclusion. You can reach me anytime at pledged@hotmail.com. I’m currently working on my next book (“Conquering Your Quarterlife Crisis,” a sequel to my first book that’s intended to help 20 and 30somethings work through various issues), so it might take me until May to get back to you, but I read every email I receive, and I welcome your opinions and comments especially.

Thanks for reading this post, if you’ve gotten this far, and I look forward to a dialogue in May…

Take care,
Alexandra Robbins

kddani 04-12-2004 10:53 AM

I'm sure the flood of emails (i've seen this email address listed many other places) is just giving the author more fodder to use for a sequel.

If you going to email, GCers, choose your comments wisely.

SmartBlondeGPhB 04-12-2004 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by kddani
If you going to email, GCers, choose your comments wisely.
And remember that most GLO's (ours I know for sure) require ALL media comment to go through headquarters.

33girl 04-12-2004 11:11 AM

Re: from the author of Pledged

Quote:

Originally posted by robbins
I can’t control what the print media chooses to extrapolate from the book
You can, however, choose what you say in an interview with People Magazine. In a few of your comments (namely regarding "sister parties", whatever those are) the words "some" and "a few" were conspicuously absent.

If this article isn't what you meant to say, it would serve you well to ask People for a retraction.

moe.ron 04-12-2004 11:37 AM

I ain't often right
but I've never been wrong
It seldom turns out the way
it does in the song
Once in a while
you get shown the light
in the strangest of places
if you look at it right

AchtungBaby80 04-12-2004 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SmartBlondeGPhB
And remember that most GLO's (ours I know for sure) require ALL media comment to go through headquarters.
Yes...everyone needs to be careful about that. Myself, I don't really have anything to say except that I did read the inside jacket of "Pledged," and it didn't sound so nice and balanced. I remember the words "extreme promiscuity" as well as some other lovely descriptions.

Lady Pi Phi 04-12-2004 12:17 PM

It's probably best not to say anything to her.
Instead refer this post to someone at your HQ and if the feel it is necessary to respond they will.

XOMichelle 04-12-2004 02:20 PM

I don't believe you.

Glitter650 04-12-2004 02:29 PM

if it really is you (which I kinda doubt) I'm reading your *cough* journalistic masterpiece right now and I have to say I feel it is very anti-sorority...calling sororities "unviversity recognized cliques" and the like... and although "you" do mention that you can't base fact on a "few renegade sisters" in the book you also attempt to say that these observations are commonplace by stating the other interviews you did besides the ladies that you followed throughout the year as evidence that these observations must be prevlant throughout the greek system. All I have to say to "you" is a somewhat cliche quote but I think it fits "from the outside looking in you never understand it, from the inside looking out you can never explain it". You will never completely "get" greek life unless you truly live it.

chideltjen 04-12-2004 02:45 PM

all this post wants is PR. it's not her... probably just some random publicist trying to give a bad book good press. And the more and more we discuss it, the more successful the book will be because people will get curious, buy the book and then come on here and criticize it. But as you buy it, the more money the author makes.
Everytime something controversal comes around (remember sorority life???), someone joins and posts that they are an INSIDER and know all. how is this any different.

Lady Pi Phi 04-12-2004 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by chideltjen
all this post wants is PR. it's not her... probably just some random publicist trying to give a bad book good press. And the more and more we discuss it, the more successful the book will be because people will get curious, buy the book and then come on here and criticize it. But as you buy it, the more money the author makes.
Everytime something controversal comes around (remember sorority life???), someone joins and posts that they are an INSIDER and know all. how is this any different.

That's why you have to go to the bookstore and read it there :D

But you're right. Most people will be curious as to what she has to say and will probably buy the book. I too am curious, but not enough to buy her book.

Glitter650 04-12-2004 02:51 PM

Get it from the library like I did... :D

damasa 04-12-2004 04:34 PM

Don't buy the book, it's not worth it.

You can't follow "four sisters" and interview "hundreds - close to a thousand" sisters and still be able to get a good grasp of the dynamics behind greek life. Or we could go into the ways in which greek life differs in the many regions of this country.

Furthermore, you attended sorority events that I'm more than sure were "public events' in the sense that they weren't initiation/secret ritual events.

Lastly, out of those "close to a thousand" that you interviewed, how many were members of NPHC orgs or multi-cultural orgs? Lation orgs? Service orgs? You get the poing...

Oh yea, if you aren't truly greek, no matter how many people you interview you'll still never be able to fully understand it...

blahity blah blah.....

Don't buy it anyone, don't support people like this...

Tom Earp 04-12-2004 04:51 PM

One post and zippity do da! Up, Up and away!:(

Bite my butt sweety, you are like all of the rest! BS runs down hill and we arent buying it!:mad:

The gaul of some people is well ignorant! Well, She asked if she could yep right!:rolleyes:

Sorry, I a have a boil on my butt and is hard to sit on!:o

decadence 04-12-2004 06:13 PM

Tom, that last line contained way more detail than we ever needed to know.