GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Events (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Catchy name for pledge dance? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=123243)

Kappakeys 11-22-2011 11:13 PM

Catchy name for pledge dance?

I'm a 15 for kkg and we need to come up with a clever name for our pledge dance. Last year they did "kappa keys over seas" and then everyone dressed according to the theme, any suggestions?

amIblue? 11-22-2011 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kappakeys (Post 2108181)
I'm a 15 for kkg and we need to come up with a clever name for our pledge dance. Last year they did "kappa keys over seas" and then everyone dressed according to the theme, any suggestions?

What is a 15?

lovespink88 11-23-2011 12:12 AM

If it's anything like at my school, '15 is the name of the new member class. Every year the incoming new member classes are named by the year that they will graduate (assuming that the new members are all freshmen and will graduate in 4 years). My brother is freshman, so his pledge class is called '15s when they are referred to as a group. I was a junior when I joined my chapter, so I would have been a '12 (even though I graduated in '10).

Would have made more sense if she said "I'm a Kappa new member".

amIblue? 11-23-2011 10:54 AM

Well, that makes sense. It's probably a thing that varies by campus culture.

Kappakeys 11-23-2011 11:37 AM

Yeah sorry hahaha it depends on the year your pledge class graduates so like my pledge mom is a 14 cause she graduates in 2014, my bad

33girl 11-23-2011 11:56 AM

I know it's campus culture (in other words OP, I am not yelling at you) but I REALLY detest this form of pledge class naming. It creates an inhospitable environment for anyone other than a freshman rushing.

How about Kan Kan with Kappa?

amIblue? 11-23-2011 01:18 PM

Welcome to Kappa, Kappakeys.

I got nothing to help you with themes...we always did our Monmouth Duo with Pi Phi as our pledge formal, and I'm utterly lacking in creativity.

AlphaFrog 11-23-2011 01:27 PM

Kappa Kotillion? (formal)
KKG's Tropical Breeze? (beach)
Fleur de Lis Zzzzz's? (pj party)

TSteven 11-23-2011 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2108287)
I know it's campus culture (in other words OP, I am not yelling at you) but I REALLY detest this form of pledge class naming. It creates an inhospitable environment for anyone other than a freshman rushing.

FYI, Sigma Chi - and I beleive some other GLOs - use the class year in association with their college.

For exmaple:

Warren Beatty, Northwestern 1959
Drew Brees, Purdue 2001
Mike Ditka, Pittsburgh 1961
Woody Harrelson, Hanover 1983
David Letterman, Ball State 1969
Urban Meyer, Cincinnati 1986
Brad Pitt, Missouri 1986
John Wayne, Southern California 1929

MysticCat 11-23-2011 03:16 PM

^^ That's what we would do with individuals, except we would use chapter designation (without school or with school in parentheses) and year of initiation, not graduation. E.g., Andy Griffith, Alpha Rho 1946.

But that's different from what the OP described and from what 33girl reacted to. They're not talking about describing an individual after he or she graduates; they're talking about a designation for a pledge/new member class -- specifically, designating the class by the year its members will graduate (which assumes they are all the same year and will graduate at the same time). In other words, this fall's pledge/new member class would be referred to as the pledge/new member class of 2015. That presumes all members of the class are freshman and will graduate in four years.

We don't have a standard for that. In my experience, most of our chapters will either designate probationary member classes by the season and year of pledging (e.g., the Spring 2012 class) or by Greek letters (e.g., the Gamma PM class, meaning the third in the chapter's history).

TSteven 11-23-2011 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MysticCat (Post 2108340)
^^ That's what we would do with individuals, except we would use chapter designation (without school or with school in parentheses) and year of initiation, not graduation. E.g., Andy Griffith, Alpha Rho 1946.

But that's different from what the OP described and from what 33girl reacted to. They're not talking about describing an individual after he or she graduates; they're talking about a designation for a pledge/new member class -- specifically, designating the class by the year its members will graduate (which assumes they are all the same year and will graduate at the same time). In other words, this fall's pledge/new member class would be referred to as the pledge/new member class of 2015. That presumes all members of the class are freshman and will graduate in four years.

We don't have a standard for that. In my experience, most of our chapters will either designate probationary member classes by the season and year of pledging (e.g., the Spring 2012 class) or by Greek letters (e.g., the Gamma PM class, meaning the third in the chapter's history).

I get what you are saying. My bad.

When Kappakeys said the following …

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kappakeys (Post 2108285)
Yeah sorry hahaha it depends on the year your pledge class graduates so like my pledge mom is a 14 cause she graduates in 2014, my bad

… I passed right over the "pledge class" reference and took that to mean her personal designation is “Kappakeys 15” versus the "15" being associated with her pledge class.

In some cases, pledges and initiated members are described by (lumped by) their (anticipated) graduation year – even during their undergraduate years. So “14s” would simply be another way of saying “sophomores”. Which is what I thought she meant with respect to her pledge mom. :o

DeltaBetaBaby 11-24-2011 12:21 AM

What types of themes are you interested in? I think it is easiest to come up with the theme first, and then work backwards to come up with a name.