GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Schools where you absolutely positively need recs (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=112718)

violetpretty 05-16-2010 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w&lTX (Post 1929762)
Okay, so I'll be headed to Washington and Lee next year, and I just really want to know what exactly i should have/how many recs and which pictures I should send in.

I'm from Texas and I was prepping for UT rush just in case, so now I think that I have way more than is needed. I talked to a person in charge there and she told me that she could always tell the Texas girls from the size of their envelopes...but she didn't tell me what I specifically needed. I'll probably call her later this week, but here's what I have:

Portraits: full length, 3/4 length, headshot, and wallet size professional pictures
Social resume completed
transcripts and SAT/ACT scores on hand
at least three people who will write a good letter of rec for each sorority

any advice? Thanks!

I'd recommend PMing breathesgelatin if she doesn't pop by this thread. She is a W&L alum and now a grad student at UT.

sapphirekey 05-17-2010 04:48 PM

I can't speak for the other UCs, for sure, but recs are not important at Irvine. :)

angels&angles 05-17-2010 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w&lTX (Post 1929762)
Okay, so I'll be headed to Washington and Lee next year, and I just really want to know what exactly i should have/how many recs and which pictures I should send in.

I'm from Texas and I was prepping for UT rush just in case, so now I think that I have way more than is needed. I talked to a person in charge there and she told me that she could always tell the Texas girls from the size of their envelopes...but she didn't tell me what I specifically needed. I'll probably call her later this week, but here's what I have:

Portraits: full length, 3/4 length, headshot, and wallet size professional pictures
Social resume completed
transcripts and SAT/ACT scores on hand
at least three people who will write a good letter of rec for each sorority

any advice? Thanks!

As a W&L alum, my 2c. I went in knowing NOTHING, no recs, nothing. I ended up where I belonged. I'm pretty sure my chapter is one that "finds" recs for people. However, I don't know about other chapters.

I would say that recs are not imperitive but help. My chapter and at least two others do not require them, but we did accept them and look at them.

FWIW I heard a girl from one chapter say "God, we hate recs because it makes more work for us." I don't honestly know how much of this is hyperbole.

ETA -- Also, on closer reading of your post, it's generally way more than you need. Because of Winter Term rush, the girls will know you and your REAL resume (the W&L one) and probably won't even look at your high school resume. Who cares what you did in high school if everyone already knows you as "that girl"? Best Advice: Go out, be seen, be friendly. Join clubs. Go on EVERY rushdate you're offered no matter what you think of the sorority as a whole (the girls who take you may change your mind). DO NOT BE THAT GIRL. Keep yourself under control when you go out.

w&lTX 05-21-2010 08:32 PM

thanks for all of the advice! I kind of assumed that I'm over-prepared, but it's hard not to be with all of the information that's been thrown at me for big southern state school type recruitment, so this is a wonderful relief! I'm not going to include everything I have because I really feel like it's excessive.

I'm really excited about rushing and W&L in general. I can hardly wait! thanks again!

angels&angles 05-21-2010 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w&lTX (Post 1932492)
thanks for all of the advice! I kind of assumed that I'm over-prepared, but it's hard not to be with all of the information that's been thrown at me for big southern state school type recruitment, so this is a wonderful relief! I'm not going to include everything I have because I really feel like it's excessive.

I'm really excited about rushing and W&L in general. I can hardly wait! thanks again!

I would go ahead and submit a rec for every chapter, esp if you already have them. Despite what I heard, I really don't think it would hurt and we definitely DO get girls, esp from the deep south, who submit one or more. But anything else is unnecessary. Greek life at W&L is wonderful and there are great girls in EVERY srat (as you will hear them called). I would love to hear a recruitment story from you when the time comes.

jordang312 05-22-2010 12:17 PM

I didn't see it listed. But, Southern Miss is also a school where recs are required.

SusySorostitute 05-31-2010 01:27 AM

Most of Big 12 yes but you definitely do not need recs at colorado

KSUViolet06 05-31-2010 01:34 AM

My general rule of thumb:

If a school's Panhellenic website has a section dedicated to recs, or has list of addresses telling you where to send your recs, or mentions recs AT ALL--then you need to GET RECS.

If the rec section of their website says anything like "recs are suggested but not required, the chapters will get them for you" the translation is "you better get recs because everyone is going to have them and you have a good chance of being dropped like a bad habit if you don't have them."

You don' know how many girls I've encountered who were not as informed as others and when offered a rec from a family member or something say "oh the website said recs are optional."

If the site tells you not to worry and the chapters will get your recs, IGNORE IT and get them yourself anyway.

As with anything I say, feel free to disagree. lol.

FSUZeta 05-31-2010 08:40 AM

totally agree with you violet!

yesterday i was looking on a few college panhellenic websites and i was shocked to see on a particular sorority's site the following paraphrased statement,"it is our responsibility to find a recommendation for any pnm who does not have one." while it is politically correct to say this, it is so far from the truth it's not funny. on top of that, it is one of the most sought after chapters at that particular college, which has a very competitive recruitment. they should be ashamed of themselves.

pearlbubbles 06-02-2010 12:05 AM

I wanted to add my two cents about CU. They're certainly not mandatory, but they are really really helpful and my chapter tended to get a bunch of them and that was really nice, especially when recruitment numbers are about to hit one thousand or so.

But then again, I worked with reference every year I was active, so maybe that's the only reason I find them so helpful. haha.

beeish 06-04-2010 10:31 AM

How much would it hurt you to not have recs at USC. No one in my family at all has gone greek, and I don't know anyone that has either even outside of my family.

FSUZeta 06-04-2010 11:38 AM

southern cal or south carolina?

exlurker 06-04-2010 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSUZeta (Post 1939217)
southern cal or south carolina?

Actually, FSUZeta, recs are highly desirable / essential at either one, right?

FSUZeta 06-04-2010 04:55 PM

you are right, exlurker.

if the poster will tell us which "usc" she is referring to, she might get better, more specific information.

ellebud 06-04-2010 05:30 PM

Hi Beeish!!!!

(I sort of know her). As you know my daughter went through at USC last fall. She had 3 recs (not the four that I thought she had) going into recruitment. My daughter pledged a house where she did not have a rec. They did get one for her. But she knew a girl in the house already, so that helped.

Do you know anyone from the dorms who can help you? Sometimes they have access to alums who are willing to help. Depending on the house it may be necessary to have them. I know that my daughter went into Pref with one with and one without a rec. She had other options but these were her top choices. She was lucky. But in general, they help.

Email me and I will be more specific. Have a WONDERFUL summer (err, winter) vacation.

Ellebud