GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=185)
-   -   Reading about yourself in someone else's recruitment story (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=243597)

CloverMom 05-10-2018 06:42 PM

Reading about yourself in someone else's recruitment story

New user, but long time lurker.

Have you ever read about yourself in someone else's recruitment story? Albeit not by name, but with enough details that you know it's you the author is talking about.

No, I'm not wearing pink sequins...

APhi2KD 05-10-2018 07:21 PM

No, but that would either be horrifying or hilarious!

CloverMom 05-10-2018 07:48 PM

Oh, no she did not....

Quote:

Originally Posted by APhi2KD (Post 2456349)
No, but that would either be horrifying or hilarious!

It quickly went from "Haha, I know who wrote this!" to "Wait...what? Is she talking about ME??!"

carnation 05-10-2018 09:40 PM

Details!

clemsongirl 05-10-2018 09:47 PM

No, but I have had a couple friends figure out my recruitment story based on googling "Clemson recruitment" and finding it online. It amuses me more than anything else.

ChioLu 05-10-2018 10:29 PM

Oh, CloverMom, I WISH we had a “like” button.

But, when I POSSIBLY may have figured out the 2 universities and sororities from the original pink sequins story, I got really excited! (Oklahoma and Tulsa Universities. Think they both pledged DG.)

carnation 05-10-2018 10:37 PM

A lot of us think they were fake!

CharlieDean 05-11-2018 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChioLu (Post 2456361)

But, when I POSSIBLY may have figured out the 2 universities and sororities from the original pink sequins story, I got really excited! (Oklahoma and Tulsa Universities. Think they both pledged DG.)

ChioLu, that's the thread that got ME hooked! I was inspired to write my own retro rush story after that whole pink sequinned twin fiction.

APhi2KD 05-11-2018 08:16 PM

Quote:

Okay I found and read that damned thing. I can’t believe I read that whole thing with NO satisfaction! Argh!

Sororitysock 05-12-2018 12:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnation (Post 2456362)
A lot of us think they were fake!

Aside from the poor writing and over-the-top pretentiousness, the biggest tipoff to me that it was fanfic was that the daughter of a supposed pageant-obsessed Miss America first runner up couldn't spell the word pageant.

carnation 05-12-2018 09:22 AM

Also that John pmed me and said she had the same IP as someone who had claimed to be a Pi Phi under another name and a Kappa under yet another.

CloverMom 05-13-2018 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnation (Post 2456359)
Details!

It was a fairly small school to begin with, so it was easy to figure out who had written it. I do realize that a lot of retro recruitment stories are embellished for entertainment purposes, but it was disconcerting at first to read about 'this one girl' and realize that it's somehow supposed to be you.

Needless to say, most of it was fiction. I had to sit on my fingers to keep from commenting on a thread from so many moons ago. It was very hard to type after that, but I persevered!

CloverMom 05-13-2018 09:30 AM

Me too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by APhi2KD (Post 2456388)
Okay I found and read that damned thing. I can’t believe I read that whole thing with NO satisfaction! Argh!

I even searched for fanfiction on other sites, just to get some kind of closure.

CloverMom 05-13-2018 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlieDean (Post 2456377)
ChioLu, that's the thread that got ME hooked! I was inspired to write my own retro rush story after that whole pink sequinned twin fiction.

That was a great story too!

FSUZeta 06-03-2018 07:35 AM

Oh clovermom, If only you had been involved in pink sequins rush! But no, some meanies harassed the OP during her posting, instead of waiting until the end of the story. That is why we can't have nice things-or closure.