GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Judge Amy Coney Barrett and Kappa Delta (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=247395)

shadokat 10-15-2020 02:29 PM

Judge Amy Coney Barrett and Kappa Delta

https://www.thecollegefix.com/sorori...rt-nomination/

Thoughts?

carnation 10-15-2020 03:01 PM

People were offended even though it was made clear that it didn't indicate support? What a bunch of loser snowflakes. If I were a KD, I would be burning up the lines to nationals.

bevinpiphi 10-15-2020 04:04 PM

I don't agree with the political ideologies of all of my sisters.
Personally, I feel KD should have left the tweet - a nomination to the Supreme Court is something worthy of congratulations...even if I don't agree with ACB on...a lot. My two KD aunts have different views on ACB and her record, but neither are horrified/ashamed to be in sisterhood with her. Pulled from my response on the previous (locked) thread about her nomination - "Two of my aunts are Southern, Catholic, and KD (sisters twice!) - on opposite ends of the political spectrum - they are both pleased to see a KD sister nominated, but one has had personal experience with the nominee's church and that colors her view of the nomination and ACB as a potential justice. The other is a lawyer and has been encouraging family on both ends of the spectrum to look into her actual ruling history and legal writings, before deciding she'll either be a boon to conservative causes or demonizing her as the end to all rights."

NYCMS 10-15-2020 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevinpiphi (Post 2480905)
I don't agree with the political ideologies of all of my sisters. Personally, I feel KD should have left the tweet - a nomination to the Supreme Court is something worthy of congratulations...even if I don't agree with ACB on...a lot.

Ditto!

The cancel culture is a real issue on college campuses (and beyond) today. Many kids don't know how to tolerate a different viewpoint of any type so they get things cancelled. Happened to Condoleeza Rice a few years ago - she was the graduation speaker at Dartmouth until students pushed back and got her cancelled. Why? The war. I guess her background of growing up in the segregated Deep South, becoming a concert pianist, a provost at Stanford and yes, holding one of the highest offices in our government didn't offer them anything to learn from....

What's worse about this incident, to me, are the officers who fell prey to this cancel mindset. They weren't agreeing with Barrett's policy views, simply acknowledging what it took to achieve the nomination. Geez.

Sen's Revenge 10-15-2020 04:44 PM

Cancel culture isn't real.

Neither Kappa Delta nor ACB lose any significant power or trajectory-altering opportunity by the tweet being deleted.

What's actually happening is criticism and critique, at some turns outrage, and mostly people getting on the internet with an opinion.

People in power are concerned about cancel culture because they don't want to be critiqued. People who are not in power are concerned about cancel culture because they think they are on the same level of the people being canceled.

It's sort of like people voting against their own self-interests.

Further reading: https://time.com/5735403/cancel-culture-is-not-real/

Kevin 10-15-2020 05:04 PM

Kappa Delta should not have deleted the tweet. The organization should be supportive of a sister who is about to reach the pinnacle of success in her profession.

Deleting the tweet was a dumb move as it invalidated the argument that we're just supporting a successful sister and made it about politics. Organizations should avoid politics.

Outrage is premature as ACB has yet to cast a vote from the bench. We really don't know much about her. She hasn't been on the bench that long. She's young. Her views may change completely after settling in.

Benzgirl 10-15-2020 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin (Post 2480908)

Outrage is premature as ACB has yet to cast a vote from the bench. We really don't know much about her. She refuses to answer any questions.

Fixed it for you.

33girl 10-15-2020 06:03 PM

They should have just stopped with the first sentence of the first tweet instead of going out of their way to say they acknowledge all members have a right to their beliefs. That should be a given, but as usual, people don’t know when to shut up.

I’m sure there are AEPhis who didn’t agree with RBG...or A Xi Ds who think Betsey Johnson makes the ugliest clothes imaginable...or Thetas who would rather get a root canal than listen to Sheryl Crow. But when these alumnae are brought up, the groups don’t go out of their way to say everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Why start now? It’s about pride in a member achieving success and being well known outside of the sorority...not agreeing with everything they do.

Being nominated to serve on the Supreme Court is a high achievement. Congratulate her on that. Then drop it.

Kevin 10-15-2020 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benzgirl (Post 2480911)
Fixed it for you.

So that's pretty standard and not answering questions regarding cases which may come before her follows with the judicial canons. My cousin is the Oklahoma Supreme Court Chief Justice right now. I am fine to discuss my own cases with her at family gatherings as whenever I appeal, she recuses, so those cases are definitely not going before her. Literally any other case, I know better than to bring up, even in a private conversation.

And the last Justice appointed by either party who really did answer questions and invited a spirited discussion with the opposing Senators was Robert Bork, and you remember how that went.

I don't like that she is being appointed. I disagree with textualism. I think it's a hoax. They claim these philosophies so they can seem all pure and idealistic, but I've seen the hyper-textualist Scalia do some pretty great mental gymnastics to try and tell us that the interstate commerce clause gave the federal government the power to regulate marijuana grown entirely within a state using implements and materials only from within the state to be sold only within the state because in his view, it would have an indirect effect on interstate commerce and therefore, the feds can list it as a schedule 1 susbtance.

Benzgirl 10-15-2020 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin (Post 2480915)
I don't like that she is being appointed. I disagree with textualism. I think it's a hoax.

IMO, it's Trump's last Hail Mary to either win more votes from a specific demographic OR to get even with all who vote against him.

The sad part about it is Trump doesn't even understand what she stands for. Additionally, deep down probably doesn't agree with much of what she believes.

/lane swerve

AnchorAlum 10-16-2020 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2480913)
They should have just stopped with the first sentence of the first tweet instead of going out of their way to say they acknowledge all members have a right to their beliefs. That should be a given, but as usual, people don’t know when to shut up.

I’m sure there are AEPhis who didn’t agree with RBG...or A Xi Ds who think Betsey Johnson makes the ugliest clothes imaginable...or Thetas who would rather get a root canal than listen to Sheryl Crow. But when these alumnae are brought up, the groups don’t go out of their way to say everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Why start now? It’s about pride in a member achieving success and being well known outside of the sorority...not agreeing with everything they do.

Being nominated to serve on the Supreme Court is a high achievement. Congratulate her on that. Then drop it.

Excellent!

AnchorAlum 10-18-2020 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnation (Post 2480903)
People were offended even though it was made clear that it didn't indicate support? What a bunch of loser snowflakes. If I were a KD, I would be burning up the lines to nationals.

My son's godmother is a KD and she and her sister (also KD) are doing just that.
And they're neither Catholic or hard right in their views.

NinjaPoodle 10-18-2020 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2480913)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin (Post 2480908)
Kappa Delta should not have deleted the tweet. The organization should be supportive of a sister who is about to reach the pinnacle of success in her profession.

Deleting the tweet was a dumb move as it invalidated the argument that we're just supporting a successful sister and made it about politics.

Ditto

kdonline 10-28-2020 02:23 PM

This SCOTUS issue has divided the KΔ sisterhood, that’s for sure. Many on both sides are claiming they’ll turn in their pins or never donate again.

Was KΔ HQ right or wrong with their public statements? Given the political climate, they should’ve held off on saying anything, and wait to see how it played out. Either way, they were bound to be criticized.
In addition, this nomination happened at a critical time for KΔ, because most recently, theyve been touting their new diversity committee.

Anyway, what’s done is done.

Finally, as we all know: if you want to change your organization, abandoning it is not how you do it. Posting on the internet is easy, but it’s slack. Get in, and get involved.

33girl 10-28-2020 02:33 PM

If I had turned in my pin the first time I encountered a sister whose values were different from mine and contradictory to what I expected of an ASA, I would have stopped being Greek around the time Bush the Elder took office. I absolutely fail to see how grown adults with decades of sorority membership can behave in this manner.