GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Same Chapter Names at Same School? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=220554)

celebcj 08-25-2016 02:45 PM

Same Chapter Names at Same School?

I just moved to Gainesville, and noticed that at UF, Alpha Chi Omega, Alpha Delta Pi, and Zeta Tau Alpha all share the same Gamma Iota designation. So crazy! What other schools does this happen at?

DubaiSis 08-25-2016 05:00 PM

It happens A LOT. I just went through updating the database for the rush results spreadsheet and it happens all the time. There are a couple Sigmas at Iowa, as a for instance. But many schools developed Greek systems kind of all at once so especially for the older chapters they will be all pretty close in chapter designation. And true with single letter chapters as well. Cal has a TON of single letter chapters, and if they'd expand they'd have even more since so many sororities had to close chapters there.

ComradesTrue 08-25-2016 06:17 PM

TCU's greek system developed in 1955 with the simultaneous addition of 8 sororities. Both Kappa Alpha Theta and Zeta Tau Alpha are the Gamma Psi chapters.

Iota_JWH 08-25-2016 06:58 PM

At the University of Illinois, there are three Iota chapters: Alpha Chi Omega, Alpha Omicron Pi and Delta Gamma. Also, up until the mid 1960's when Alpha Chi built a new house out on Lincoln Ave, the three sororities were all clustered together near the corner of Mathews and Nevada!

LaneSig 08-25-2016 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DubaiSis (Post 2417095)
It happens A LOT. I just went through updating the database for the rush results spreadsheet and it happens all the time. There are a couple Sigmas at Iowa, as a for instance. But many schools developed Greek systems kind of all at once so especially for the older chapters they will be all pretty close in chapter designation. And true with single letter chapters as well. Cal has a TON of single letter chapters, and if they'd expand they'd have even more since so many sororities had to close chapters there.

Illinois has several.

Alpha Chi Omega, Delta Gamma, and Alpha Omicron Pi are all the Iota chapters of their organizations.

Alpha Xi Delta and Sigma Delta Tau are both the Kappa chapters.

Both Alpha Delta Pi and Alpha Gamma Delta are the Sigma chapters.

The Omicron Chapter name is held by Chi Omega and Gamma Phi Beta.

And to round up, the UofI chapters of Sigma Kappa (closed) and Phi Sigma Sigma shared the Theta chapter name.

I'm sure there's plenty of IFC chapters that also share names on campuses.

Sen's Revenge 08-26-2016 08:27 AM

Howard University has five Alpha Chapters.

Florida A&M has two Beta Alphas, which give themselves the nicknames The Original Beta Alpha (AKAs) and the REAL Beta Alpha (DST).

Morgan State has two Gamma Chapters, the constitutionally bound Phi Beta Sigma and Zeta Phi Beta.

And so on.

Sister Havana 08-26-2016 02:30 PM

At Indiana, Alpha Omicron Pi and Gamma Phi Beta are both Beta Phi chapters.

wsucalsigmakapp 08-27-2016 12:08 PM

I believe at Washington State, both Sigma Kappa and Alpha Omicron Pi are the Alpha Gamma chapters. I know Sigma Kappa is Alpha Gamma! =)

PhoenixAttain 10-29-2017 01:33 PM

At UNC-Pembroke, Phi Mu Alpha and Sigma Alpha Iota are both Eta Beta chapters.

honeychile 10-29-2017 05:22 PM

I don't know if they all have the Alpha chapter designation, but since Alpha Sigma Alpha, Sigma Sigma Sigma, Kappa Delta, and Zeta Tau Alpha were all founded at Longwood College, I would imagine that would make four Alphas.

tcsparky 10-29-2017 07:53 PM

I don't remember what school this was (I'm old) but it had something like the Kappa Delta Chapter of Zeta Tau Alpha, and Kappa Delta was also on the campus (I'm just making these names up, can't remember the real sororities).

I imagine this would be confusing to PNMs!!

33girl 10-29-2017 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeychile (Post 2445989)
I don't know if they all have the Alpha chapter designation, but since Alpha Sigma Alpha, Sigma Sigma Sigma, Kappa Delta, and Zeta Tau Alpha were all founded at Longwood College, I would imagine that would make four Alphas.

ASA is Alpha. It is our only single letter chapter.

*winter* 10-29-2017 09:42 PM

At Slippery Rock University, both Gamma Sigma Sigma and Phi Sigma Sigma were Zeta Nu

mizdove 10-30-2017 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcsparky (Post 2445998)
I don't remember what school this was (I'm old) but it had something like the Kappa Delta Chapter of Zeta Tau Alpha, and Kappa Delta was also on the campus (I'm just making these names up, can't remember the real sororities).

I imagine this would be confusing to PNMs!!

Mizzou has the Theta chapter of KKG, as well as Kappa Alpha Theta. I know lots of people who attended pref at both houses and have heard of many confused PNMs over the years! The Pi Chis are very clear that you should read the WHOLE bid card before you run anywhere!

Deltazeta4ever 10-31-2017 12:38 AM

LIU Post has a chapter of Delta Zeta and the Delta Zeta chapter of Alpha Xi Delta. Much confusion with PNM's too.

DaffyKD 11-01-2017 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeychile (Post 2445989)

KD's chapter at Longwood is our Alpha chapter.

At the time of the founding of the 4 schools, the name was State Female Normal School of Richmond, VA. Later it became Longwood College and today is now Longwood University.

DaffyKD