GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Schools where you absolutely positively need recs (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=112718)

beeish 06-07-2010 11:28 PM

Southern California sorry, I forget there are two

LXA SE285 06-08-2010 04:08 PM

What about Miami of Ohio?

KSUViolet06 06-08-2010 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LXA SE285 (Post 1940644)
What about Miami of Ohio?

I've seen MU alumnae post on here that they are not "make or break" but are very helpful.

If someone asked me if they should get them, I'd say yes.

See this post:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...36&postcount=6

als463 06-10-2010 03:02 PM

Another Thread?
 
This is just a thought so anyone please feel free to shoot down the idea. It won't bother me. Since we have a thread about Schools where you need recs, would it be acceptable to maybe make a thread for PNMs about various schools (in one thread)?

Example:
(A.) School Name / (# of sororities on campus)
(B.) (need or don't need recs)
(C.) For specific information regarding recruitment, please refer to-
(1.) "Specific Current Members/ Alumnae" of Kentucky
(D.) # of Sororities on campus doing Rush (Fall)-possibly names
(E.) # of Sororities on campus doing Rush (Spring)-possibly names
(F.) Anything else of an important nature

We would put it in the same way we do the recruitment dates. I just think it would be helpful to get ideas from members of those schools. For example, if I wanted to learn more about Kentucky recruitment, I would ask Sydney B. If I wanted to know about Florida State, I know I could ask FSUZeta. It just makes sense to know who might have more insider knowledge. That way, people wouldn't be stepping on other people's toes with suggestions. I wouldn't think of giving advice for Ole Miss just as our Ole Miss members wouldn't feel comfortable handing out information about Penn State.

This is just a suggestion. Thoughts?

Drolefille 06-10-2010 03:44 PM

No one would ever search it, they'll just make their own posts anyway and the experts can get paged/showup as they do now.

ComradesTrue 06-10-2010 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drolefille (Post 1941523)
No one would ever search it, they'll just make their own posts anyway and the experts can get paged/showup as they do now.

I totally agree.

Plus, if the young 'uns were wise enough to do a search to find that post then likely they were likely wise enough to just do a search and find their greek life website (which has most of the proposed info anyway).

Drolefille 06-10-2010 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blondie93 (Post 1941545)
I totally agree.

Plus, if the young 'uns were wise enough to do a search to find that post then likely they were likely wise enough to just do a search and find their greek life website (which has most of the proposed info anyway).

But where would they find out who's hot and who's not and who has the best reputation and hangs out with the sexy guys and not the nerds?

CopterDad 06-10-2010 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drolefille (Post 1941553)
But where would they find out who's hot and who's not and who has the best reputation and hangs out with the sexy guys and not the nerds?

At least PNMs would know exactly who to ask for recs...:)...just kidding!

irishpipes 06-10-2010 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CopterDad (Post 1941586)
At least PNMs would know exactly who to ask for recs...:)

Please tell me you are kidding.

33girl 06-10-2010 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by als463 (Post 1941502)
I just think it would be helpful to get ideas from members of those schools. For example, if I wanted to learn more about Kentucky recruitment, I would ask Sydney B. If I wanted to know about Florida State, I know I could ask FSUZeta. It just makes sense to know who might have more insider knowledge.

I'm allowed to say this cause I'm ancient.

Just because I went to XYZ U 20 years ago doesn't mean I necessarily know diddly about what goes on now. This was pointed up by the person's mom (possibly apocryphal) who told her to wait and rush her junior year at a SEC school, because heck, there was no problem for juniors to join when she went to school in the 70s. If we did this, I'm sure a person just like that would get hella annoyed that she wasn't the "go-to."

Older GCers I'm sure can think of some people who while they are very enthusiastic alums of their schools/Greek systems aren't the best to go to for "expert advice."

ADqtPiMel 06-10-2010 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 (Post 1940667)
I've seen MU alumnae post on here that they are not "make or break" but are very helpful.

If someone asked me if they should get them, I'd say yes.

See this post:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...36&postcount=6

Yeah, not essential -- my chapter usually received about 50 recs, with around 900-1100 PNMs. It's a competitive recruitment so it can help you get a leg up, but most do fine without them.

als463 06-11-2010 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drolefille (Post 1941523)
No one would ever search it, they'll just make their own posts anyway and the experts can get paged/showup as they do now.

Alright. I just figured it was a good idea if anyone wanted to start a thread like that. I'm sure everyone knows I couldn't start it because I have no idea how rush works at many of the other schools and as 33girl pointed out (for those of us who have since graduated), I graduated from Penn State a few years ago and I wouldn't be the best person to ask because there are CURRENT PSU students on here.

Nevermind. No worries. It was just a suggestion.

LizzieBee 06-11-2010 11:10 PM

If any veteran GCers could possibly help me find recs for my competitive ACC school, please PM me! (Yes, I have already scoured the Greek Life website, as well as each chapter's local site, and while it does have an address of where to send recs, it offers absolutely no help as to whom I should obtain them from).

KSUViolet06 06-11-2010 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizzieBee (Post 1942072)
If any veteran GCers could possibly help me find recs for my competitive ACC school, please PM me! (Yes, I have already scoured the Greek Life website, as well as each chapter's local site, and while it does have an address of where to send recs, it offers absolutely no help as to whom I should obtain them from).

Best ways to find recs:

*Absolutely EXHAUST ALL of your personal contacts. You never know WHO is a sorority alumna or KNOWS a sorority alumna who may be willing to write recs.

Who should you ask?

Teachers
Coaches
Family members (cousins, etc)
Parents' friends/coworkers (even Dad's friends)
women in your church/temple/etc.
Former camp counselors and such

This isn't an all inclusive list, but it should get you started.

Also:

*Contact the alumnae panhellenic closest to you:


http://www.npcwomen.org/alumnae-panhellenics/directory.aspx

Many of them routinely help with recs (esp. if they are near a competitive school). They will let you know what they need from you (info, resume, etc) in order to help.

PinkPalmTree 06-15-2010 09:09 PM

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is the point of recs? On my school website, it says they are not necessary and we will not be penalized if you don't have them. Yet, on here, it says my school is a place where we absolutely positively need them. Thankfully, I've already gotten recs for almost every sorority, but I was just wondering WHY we need them? Do they help us not get cut or something?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.