GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Recruitment without Houses (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=222753)

flirt5721 10-29-2016 02:23 PM

Recruitment without Houses

Hi everyone. I need some help. NMSU is going through a whole mess of housing issues and are closing the Greek Housing at the end of the school year. So we are trying to come up with a solution for recruitment since there will be 2 chapters without a house and 3 with houses. We are trying to come up with a solution for all chapters. We have suggested the student union bit the advisors for the housed sororities are against it. They are claiming their house is one of their values (I think a house doesn't make the sistehood).

What are some examples of schools that use the student union for recruitment.

3DGator 10-29-2016 02:27 PM

At Stanford all of the recruitment parties are at campus locations: the Union, Campus Center, etc. The sororities that are housed are not allowed to use the houses for recruitment.

Titchou 10-29-2016 03:16 PM

Arizona State, UAB are two that come to mind.

HQWest 10-30-2016 04:31 PM

At Texas State the houses were too far apart and recruitment buses were disruptive in the historic district. They have recruitment in the meeting rooms of an Embassy Suites hotel

carnation 10-30-2016 04:40 PM

Valdosta State has used the Union.

clemsongirl 10-30-2016 05:43 PM

Clemson used the basketball arena concourse with large curtains acting as dividers between each sorority's section before the arena was taken offline for renovations, and during that time used rooms in the student union and basically anywhere else on campus that could host recruitment.

Christopher Newport has recently constructed houses for three sororities and one fraternity, but they are too small to hold recruitment in so sorority recruitment events will again be in the student union this year.

FSUZeta 10-31-2016 06:04 AM

FGCU has no houses, so sororities use conference rooms around campus. The school assigns the rooms.

AZTheta 10-31-2016 06:23 AM

Seems to me there is a Panhellenic issue (problem) going on: the advisors for the housed sororities are against "leveling the playing field" (using the Student Union or a neutral site) for recruitment for the non-housed sororities?

A house as part of a sorority's values? Now that's one I hadn't heard before.

Titchou 10-31-2016 07:53 AM

seems to me that this is an appropriate time to call in your NPC Area Adviser.

DZ_Turtle86 10-31-2016 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZTheta (Post 2421909)
A house as part of a sorority's values?

Hopefully value = selling points, not standards, morals, ideals!

navane 10-31-2016 02:36 PM

Or maybe that having a house is an added value to paying membership dues. ("You get more for your money")

AZTheta 10-31-2016 03:55 PM

Sure guys, I see your interpretations. And I am with Titchou - time to call the NPC area adviser.

Paying membership dues: it costs a lot more to support a facility (regardless of whether a member is living in or out). So it would be a selling point for the non-housed sororities. "Our dues are lower because we don't have the costs of a house, so you get more for your $". But somehow it doesn't quite work like that, does it?

I mean - oh, nevermind. You know.

33girl 10-31-2016 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DZ_Turtle86 (Post 2421920)
Hopefully value = selling points, not standards, morals, ideals!

"Togetherness is one of our values and WE can achieve it since we can all live together in our HOUSE. " (Obviously this is BS but I'm presenting it as something a housed group might say, hopefully a little more subtly. )

I agree with Titchou that it is time to call in some bigger NPC guns. The fact that it's the advisors of the groups - who should be a little more adult and understanding of Panhellenic unity - and not the collegians downing this idea is really problematic.

navane 10-31-2016 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZTheta (Post 2421938)
Sure guys, I see your interpretations. And I am with Titchou - time to call the NPC area adviser.

Paying membership dues: it costs a lot more to support a facility (regardless of whether a member is living in or out). So it would be a selling point for the non-housed sororities. "Our dues are lower because we don't have the costs of a house, so you get more for your $". But somehow it doesn't quite work like that, does it?

I mean - oh, nevermind. You know.

I'm just trying to think of reasons why the housed chapters would come up with that. I'm not saying that I totally support what they're doing. I think 33girl was more on the right track with the speculation that those chapters might say that a house gives them a place to gather and be "together".

Titchou 11-01-2016 07:00 AM

Because they believe having a house gives them an edge in recruitment now but don't want to admit it. So the other statement sounds nicer. In other words,it's a ploy.