GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=185)
-   -   What are ya reading? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=150076)

Alpha O 07-10-2015 09:17 PM

I started The Girl on the Train the other day. I'm not far enough into it to have any real opinion though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills (Post 2320520)
Even though it's been out a while, I'm just now reading Divergent. I saw the movie and liked it so I thought why not? It does seem a little bit like a Hunger Games knock off, but eh, whatever.

I thought Divergent was much more angsty than Hunger Games. The first two books were okay, but the third book was a complete let down in multiple ways. Maybe you'll have a different experience.

jolene 07-10-2015 09:21 PM

Read "The Girl on the Train." Liked it, but it had so much hype and anything with that much hype can never deliver (not a fault of the author's). When I originally put the book on hold at the library I was 500-something in line. O.o Seen the two Divergent movies and need to read the books. A friend's DD was an extra for the second movie.

Alpha O 07-10-2015 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jolene (Post 2320535)
Read "The Girl on the Train." Liked it, but it had so much hype and anything with that much hype can never deliver (not a fault of the author's). When I originally put the book on hold at the library I was 500-something in line. O.o

Wow, that's a huge line! I agree with you about things not living up to the hype many times. Sometimes it happens, usually it doesn't. So I definitely tend to take hype with a grain of salt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jolene (Post 2320535)
Seen the two Divergent movies and need to read the books. A friend's DD was an extra for the second movie.

It's so cool that your friend's DD was an extra for Insurgent!

carnation 07-10-2015 09:51 PM

http://www.bichminhnguyen.com/pioneer-girl/

I love it! It combines the Vietnamese immigrant experience with Little House on the Prairie/Laura Ingalls Wilder!

IndianaSigKap 07-11-2015 12:06 AM

I just finished the Holly Madison book. As I suspected, it was a quick read, but I did enjoy it. She is more perceptive that she always came across on television.

Tulip86 07-11-2015 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap (Post 2320547)
I just finished the Holly Madison book. As I suspected, it was a quick read, but I did enjoy it. She is more perceptive that she always came across on television.

Oooh I heard about that. Might pick it up as well.

Currently reading the newest Steve Berry novel. Very Dan Brown -like, but great summer reading.

FSUZeta 07-11-2015 09:21 AM

Naked by David Sedaris, and Small Gods by Terry Pratchett

jolene 07-11-2015 05:03 PM

I want to read the Holly Madison book too, but not sure if I want to buy it and the library doesn't have it. I usually only buy books if it's something I think I'll want to read more than once. Also tempted by Bobbie Brown's "Dirty Rocker Boys." She's the chick in the "Cherry Pie" video.

Griffins&Quills 07-11-2015 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpha O (Post 2320533)
I thought Divergent was much more angsty than Hunger Games. The first two books were okay, but the third book was a complete let down in multiple ways. Maybe you'll have a different experience.

Well, I wasn't all the impressed with Mockingjay. I liked the series overall, but Catching Fire was probably my favorite of the series.

Truth be told, two of my favorite YA series are The Mortal Instruments and Beautiful Creatures.

So, I like Divergent and Hunger Games, but they pale in comparison to the other two.

I have a whole wishlist on google books, but I'm working on it

Alpha O 07-11-2015 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills (Post 2320598)
Well, I wasn't all the impressed with Mockingjay. I liked the series overall, but Catching Fire was probably my favorite of the series.

Truth be told, two of my favorite YA series are The Mortal Instruments and Beautiful Creatures.

So, I like Divergent and Hunger Games, but they pale in comparison to the other two.

I have a whole wishlist on google books, but I'm working on it

That reminded me that I wasn't impressed with Mockingjay either. Catching Fire was also my favorite of the series.

I've been told by a friend that Beautiful Creatures was very enjoyable. I'll add The Mortal Instruments to my list. :)

The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss is supposed to be really good fantasy series from what I've been told. I have it on my list, but I haven't gotten to it yet. I'll probably start it after the third book comes out so that I don't have to wait between finishing one book and starting the next.

Sciencewoman 07-12-2015 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tulip86 (Post 2320549)

Currently reading the newest Steve Berry novel. Very Dan Brown -like, but great summer reading.

I've read all his books...sometimes he's a bit of a stretch with his imagination vs "real history," but I enjoy his writing and characters.

I just read Day Shift, the second book in Charlaine Harris's Midnight, Texas series. It was really good...better than the first one. They're fun, because they feature minor characters from her previous series (Sookie Stackhouse, etc.)...so everything is tied together.

Right now I'm reading John Grisham's Gray Mountain, about fictional lawyers fighting Big Coal in Appalachia. Also very good.

DaffyKD 07-12-2015 11:01 AM

Currently reading The English Spy by Daniel Silva. It is the latest in his Gabriel Allon series. I love his spy novels and they keep me on the edge of my seat.

I also download books to my phone so I can listen while I'm taking my daily walk. I am not a fan of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series but have found her O'Hare and Fox series. I love them and can't wait for the 4th one to be released in September. If you watched White Collar and enjoyed it, you will love these books.

DaffyKD

Griffins&Quills 07-12-2015 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpha O (Post 2320599)
That reminded me that I wasn't impressed with Mockingjay either. Catching Fire was also my favorite of the series.

I've been told by a friend that Beautiful Creatures was very enjoyable. I'll add The Mortal Instruments to my list. :)

DO IT! They were both really great. The movies totally flopped at the box office (which is a shame cause I actually kinda liked them) but there's so much more to the stories. And ABC Family is making TMI into a tv show à la Pretty Little Liars.

Before Divergent, I read Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge, it had been on sale on google for like $1.99 so I figured why not. A bit slow to start but I liked it by the end.

Sciencewoman 07-12-2015 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaffyKD (Post 2320647)
Currently reading The English Spy by Daniel Silva. It is the latest in his Gabriel Allon series. I love his spy novels and they keep me on the edge of my seat. DaffyKD

I've only read the last two...now I feel like I have to go back and catch up on all the back story on these characters.

kitekat 07-12-2015 10:35 PM

I'm reading the Game of Thrones series. I just started book three today!