GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   last minute recs: possible? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=233698)

mills801 08-20-2017 03:35 AM

last minute recs: possible?

Hello,

I'm in a unique situation. I was ill and out of school for a year, and it took until last Friday for me to get word that I was fully readmitted (no probation) and thus eligible to rush. I would like to get recommendations to put me in the best position possible before recruitment (which starts on Thursday!), but I'm pretty sure this is implausible. HOWEVER, on the off chance there are ways to get recommendations this late, I would love to hear how! Thanks!

Titchou 08-20-2017 07:52 AM

There is only one way to get recs- ask people. If you have your list of people who are members of the groups on your campus, make sure they either can 1) send it electronically or 2) are willing to call their chapter and let them know your rec is in the mail. Good luck!

tds81510 08-20-2017 11:13 AM

What campus and what groups are on that campus???

mills801 08-20-2017 12:15 PM

I'm at UC Berkeley. From the panhellenic website, the sororities are Alpha Chi Omega, Alpha Delta Pi, Alpha Phi, Chi Omega, Delta Delta Delta, Delta Gamma, Delta Sigma (I think this used to be an AOPi chapter), Gamma Phi Beta, Kappa Alpha Theta, Kappa Kappa Gamma, Pi Beta Phi, Sigma Kappa, and Zeta Tau Alpha.

3DGator 08-20-2017 01:37 PM

Cal recruitment is at the end of August.

trymeplease 08-20-2017 03:01 PM

Cal is not a school where recs are a must. I live 20 minutes away and have never been asked for a rec for Cal. That said, it is always good to try to solicit recs if you can. I would blast your social media (and your mom's) to try to scare up some recs. Encourage your rec writers to send electronically. Hopefully you have your resume, photo ready to go to email to rec writers, otherwise get that done today. Panhellenic associations are not really a thing in the Bay Area so that likely won't help you. Good luck!

Loyally Kappa 08-20-2017 07:18 PM

At schools where recs are not a must, but the sorority requires one, the chapters sometimes call folks local to where you went to high school. The chapter that wants you may get the needed rec for you. I've been called late on Friday night before and put in a good word for a pnm ... and this wasn't for Kappa, it was for another GLO. I'd taught the young lady in 7th grade so I knew her and her family from that.

So if you don't start recruitment with a full dance card of recs, things can still work out.

TLLK 08-20-2017 07:38 PM

Check with your elementary, jr. high and high school teachers and administration. You might be surprised at finding a few sorority women or those who know some.

mills801 08-21-2017 02:21 AM

Thanks for the tips! I'm adding a headshot to my resumé now. One more question: Should I get in touch with local panhellenic alumnae groups from my hometown?

Titchou 08-21-2017 07:00 AM

You can try anything.

mills801 08-31-2017 05:38 PM

update

hey folks! So I wasn't able to get any recs in time, but I did get in touch with some super nice panhellenic alumnae from my hometown AND I accepted a bid from Kappa Alpha Theta! It all turned out all right; love my house and my new sisters.

clemsongirl 08-31-2017 05:47 PM

Congratulations! I'm so glad things worked out for you in the end!

FSUZeta 08-31-2017 06:38 PM

Hooray! Congratulations!

stef831 09-01-2017 12:24 PM

I am so happy for you and now your a sister to my daughter who is a theta at Ole Miss. Yay!!!! Welcome to the sisterhood!!! :)

mills801 09-02-2017 11:03 PM

Thanks everyone for the good wishes!