GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Please explain a snap bid? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=80500)

pokey318 09-06-2006 05:37 PM

Please explain a snap bid?

I think I understand the basics of a snap bid, but more information is needed. Can a PNM ask for a snap bid from a house that cut her earlier or can only the house offer the snap bid?

On pref night she has two houses; if she doesn't receive a bid from either of these two houses she would like to try for a snap bid at her very first, first choice house where she was cut after round 3. She knows they gave a snap bid last year, but only one, so she is aware it is a long shot. She likes both of the house where she was preffed, but loved the house she would be interested in a snap bid.

I don't know anything about snap bids other than what I have read here so I don't know how to advise her. I didn't know if she should inform her RC of her thoughts, or of that wasn't a good idea. I wasn't sure what the RC should know and not know. Or does she wait and see if the RC calls her tomorrow and tells her she wasn't offered a bid, and then ask about snap bidding? Or is this something she should take up with the sorority itself or the greek office?

Help a new mother out here!

Drolefille 09-06-2006 05:39 PM

Only the house offers snap bids. The number of snap bids available depends on the number short of quota (or occasionally total). She will be notified if she's going to be snapped up.

Her other option is COB/COR/CR (Continuous Recruitment) It's informal and held by some (not necessarily all, or the one she wants) later in the year.

AChiOhSnap 09-06-2006 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokey318
I think I understand the basics of a snap bid, but more information is needed. Can a PNM ask for a snap bid from a house that cut her earlier or can only the house offer the snap bid?

On pref night she has two houses; if she doesn't receive a bid from either of these two houses she would like to try for a snap bid at her very first, first choice house where she was cut after round 3. She knows they gave a snap bid last year, but only one, so she is aware it is a long shot. She likes both of the house where she was preffed, but loved the house she would be interested in a snap bid.

I don't know anything about snap bids other than what I have read here so I don't know how to advise her. I didn't know if she should inform her RC of her thoughts, or of that wasn't a good idea. I wasn't sure what the RC should know and not know. Or does she wait and see if the RC calls her tomorrow and tells her she wasn't offered a bid, and then ask about snap bidding? Or is this something she should take up with the sorority itself or the greek office?

Help a new mother out here!

Only a house can offer a snap bid, but the ability to extend a snap bid varies from recruitment to recruitment. She could ask her Rho Chi, but she probably won't get more information then she would here. Her Rho Chi can't tell her the specifics of each sorority's snap bidding process, nor can she say whether or not her favorite house will be giving snap bids until after sororities get their new members.

She should not ask the sorority itself, as their snap bidding procedure is part of their private membership selection and her question would likely to be considered bad form. It is up to the house, and only the house, to snap bid someone. There's no way to make oneself available for snap bidding, nor is there really a way to express interest in snap bidding. There's no way for the Rho Chi or Greek Life office to "pass along" her interest to the sorority in question. Honestly, she just has to wait and see. That's the best I can tell you! :)

pokey318 09-06-2006 07:17 PM

The girl my daughter know that received a snap bid in the past actually contacted the sorority herself. She emailed several houses to ask if they had a spot and got a response from this one house. I don't know much other than this girl was cut after round 1 and wanted to be in a sorority. This house offered her a spot, but I don't know how close to bid day this was.

My daughter is interested in the same house if she doesn't get a bid from the two houses she has left. She only knows one girl in that house, and that girl does know that her house is my daughter's first choice. I guess that will have to be good enough.

AChiOhSnap 09-06-2006 07:24 PM

Quote:

My daughter is interested in the same house if she doesn't get a bid from the two houses she has left. She only knows one girl in that house, and that girl does know that her house is my daughter's first choice. I guess that will have to be good enough.

If it does not work out for her during this recruitment and she's still interested in a sorority, she should definitely check out COB. COB is more common than snap bidding (which can be rare). Even if her number one choice did not extend a snap bid to her, they may still participate in COB. This could be a very good way for your daughter to continue in her sorority search if the worst ends up happening.

doubleblue&gold 09-06-2006 07:59 PM

Snap bids are done after bid matching and before bid day. They come from groups that did not obtain quota and are offered to PNM that would not ootherwise get a bid. If a group did not extend a bid to someone that prefs them they probably already made quota and can't offer a bid until COR.If they made quota and it puts them at total, they won't COR.(they can't) Snap bids come from a group that did not make quota and likes the girl but she may have had to cut them because she had too many invites. If the PNM was cut from a group durig recruitment, it is ulikely they will snap bid her. COR might change their mind about her.

pokey318 09-06-2006 09:41 PM

Thanks for the information. It looks like I posted too soon, as my daughter is happy with both houses she visited for pref night. She feels confident that she will get a bid from one of them ( I only hope she is correct!)

doubleblue&gold 09-06-2006 09:47 PM

Best wishes for your daughter!

tcsparky 09-06-2006 10:14 PM

Just to clarify what I think I may have read/interpreted-

snap bids may NOT be used for quoata additions. If a chapter has made quota, they may not issue snap bids.

doubleblue&gold 09-06-2006 11:12 PM

If there are any quota addtions, they are done at the end of bid matching. Snap bids are after the end of bid matching. The groups that make quota may not even be aware that the groups that didn't might be snap bidding.

FSUZeta 09-07-2006 08:32 AM

hope it all works out for your daughter. please let us know!!

pokey318 09-07-2006 03:29 PM

Well I am assuming my daughter will be getting a bid this afternoon since she hasn't heard from her RC that she isn't getting one! Of course, she is still nervous about this afternoon and is wondering if she put the houses in the correct order-kind of a buyers remorse. She is so unsure of which house would be a better fit that she keeps going back and forth. I told her that means she likes both houses equal, so she will be excited to get a bid from either. She went with her gut when she ranked yesterday which I suggested; I hope I was right. :confused: There are things she likes better about one house and things she likes better about the other. It is so hard when you are a new student and don't really know anything about the houses or the members. All she has to go on is what she has seen this last week, and she is afraid some of that was just play acting. There were houses that she knew she wouldn't fit in with, one that she fell in love with (but was cut,) and then these last 2, one of wish has been high on her list all along.

The main thing that keeps her worried is the reputation of the houses. She is concerned that she will be with a group that parties 4 days a week, and that is not her. She likes to go out on the weekend, but doesn't want to feel pressure to go out when all she wants to do is chill in her room with a group of friends watching a movie and eating popcorn. I explained to her that with 150+ sisters, not all of them are partiers even if that is the sorority's reputation. I hope she believes me on that-heck, I hope I believe me.:eek:

I should know something in the next couple of hours; nothing like sitting here watching the clock!

33girl 09-07-2006 03:39 PM

Quote:

The main thing that keeps her worried is the reputation of the houses. She is concerned that she will be with a group that parties 4 days a week, and that is not her. She likes to go out on the weekend, but doesn't want to feel pressure to go out when all she wants to do is chill in her room with a group of friends watching a movie and eating popcorn. I explained to her that with 150+ sisters, not all of them are partiers even if that is the sorority's reputation. I hope she believes me on that-heck, I hope I believe me.:eek:

You are 100% right on this one. With that many sisters, it's not as though they're all joined at the hip 24/7. Plus reputations are often untrue. The guys who were called the "milk and cookie boys" at my school were some of the hardest partiers I've ever seen - ergo the reverse is often true.

adpiucf 09-07-2006 03:54 PM

Quote:

I come from one of those 150+ chapters. You hang out with the people you want to hang out with. Not everyone is best friends. In groups of 20+ it is the same. And no one is holding a gun to your head to go to a party or a social. That's always your choice to go out or your choice to stay in. Every 100+ chapter has its partiers, its homebodies, glamour girls, Plain Janes, honor roll students and girls just barely scraping by, Daddy's Girls, Working Girls (the legal kind), girls who are fashion plates and others who wouldn't wear a stitch of makeup and/or a designer label if their life depended on it. I n a chapter of that many, you can easily find a niche and make friends. Good luck.

pokey318 09-07-2006 07:09 PM

My daughter was given a bid to the house she had first on her list. :D She didn't talk long on the phone other than to say she was happy and that another girl she had befriended was also extended a bid for the same house! I don't expect to here from her tonight as the houses all have big plans for the evening.

I don't think my daughter wants me to share the school or sorority on this board, at least not right now. She still finds it a bit creepy that I chat with people online that I don't know.:( When (and if) she gives the ok, I will share.

Thanks to all that helped comfort me during this rush process.