GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Beta Theta Pi (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=266)

kmullini 02-06-2000 09:07 PM

Beta Theta Pi

I am a Beta Theta Pi alum(George Mason U. '97) and was wondering how people view my fraternity. Even though I consider mine to be the first and best fraternity. Many call us Betas also.

Kevin

SigmaPiUCI 03-08-2000 09:17 PM

betas are pretty good in IFC sports and scholarship at my school, but socially they suck! and there isn't that much representation around campus either.

kmullini 03-10-2000 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by SigmaPiUCI:
betas are pretty good in IFC sports and scholarship at my school, but socially they suck! and there isn't that much representation around campus either.
Of course you'd say that Betas are generally pretty good. Why do they socially suck in your eyes? I gather my chapter there is somewhat smaller? Bigger isnt always better. Especially if your giving everyone on campus a bid. Also, not having representation around campus isnt necessarily a bad thing. It does add a certin mystique. I would have to say though when I pledged I went down with one of my pledge brothers to Virginia Tech. This was back in 94 and we partied with Sigma Pi. Well, my pledge brother's biological brother was the President of Sigma Pi down at VT and we had a pretty fun weekend on the row.

Here's a cool link to look at from my San Jose Chapter
http://www.sjsu.edu/orgs/beta_theta_pi/

awatters 03-12-2000 05:52 PM

Two of my uncles are Betas, but at UCLA they are troublemakers. I personally know two Betas; one of them is a great guy, the other is a pothead. They don't seem like my type, so I didn't check 'em out.

------------------
andrew watters
Theta Chi

kmullini 03-13-2000 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by awatters:
Two of my uncles are Betas, but at UCLA they are troublemakers. I personally know two Betas; one of them is a great guy, the other is a pothead. They don't seem like my type, so I didn't check 'em out.

Where did your Uncles go to school? Thats pretty cool. well, I take it then my UCLA brothers know how to have a good time...Tell my brothers I said Hello. By the way, what is your type? At my school my fraternity was considered a bunch of nice guys, gentlemen, athletes, but we also partied alot too. I guess it just depends on the school....At my school. It is a commuter school, no greek row, and we had 16 fraternities with 6 sororities: Alpha Omicron Pi, Alpha Phi, Chi Omega, Gamma phi beta, Zeta tau alpha, and phi mu and I heard alpha xi delta just got on campus now.
The bigesst was Sigma Chi I think. I didnt really consider it the best though. We hung out alot with Kappa Sigma and Alpha Chi Rho.

Kevin

[This message has been edited by kmullini (edited March 13, 2000).]

kmullini 03-13-2000 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by awatters:
One of my Uncles went to Umich, the other to Ohio State- realize of course that by troublemakers I am only repeating what others have told me.

I consider myselfa gentleman, and my chapter is a collection of gentlemen. I hope that helps!

Andrew, thanks. Yeah, you clear things up for me. I just like to hear what the talk is. I've heard both positive and negative things about my fraternity. Often times the negative ones crack me up when they dont know the real truth. Anyways, WHAT IS MOST IMPORTANT IS THAT I LOVE EACH ONE OF THE GUYS IN MY FRATERNITY AND I COULDNT EVEN IMAGINE BEING A PART OF ANYONE ELSE. i WOULD DEFINITELY MAKE THE SAME CHOICE TWICE.

KEVIN MULLINIX
BETA THETA PI
http://www.betathetapi.org/home.cfm

awatters 03-14-2000 12:10 AM

One of my Uncles went to Umich, the other to Ohio State- realize of course that by troublemakers I am only repeating what others have told me.

I consider myselfa gentleman, and my chapter is a collection of gentlemen. I hope that helps!

SouthernGent 03-14-2000 08:21 PM

I am a Kappa Alpha at Texas A&M. We think pretty highly of Beta here. They are are called the Aggie Cowboys and have one of the best reputations on campus. Like us, most of the guys are very much southern gentlemen and Texas boys. They are probably considered top three. However, they just got in a lot of trouble. They threw an open party last fall before rush started and got reemed by IFC. I believe they are not going to be allowed to participate in Fall 2000 rush because of it. Also, if they get caught violating any more rules, then they are going to have their chapter completely shut down. Our university officials are a bunch of fraternity hating bastards. So I wouldn't be suprised if they got kicked off in the near future.

kmullini 03-15-2000 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by SouthernGent:
I am a Kappa Alpha at Texas A&M. We think pretty highly of Beta here. They are are called the Aggie Cowboys and have one of the best reputations on campus. Like us, most of the guys are very much southern gentlemen and Texas boys. They are probably considered top three. However, they just got in a lot of trouble. They threw an open party last fall before rush started and got reemed by IFC. I believe they are not going to be allowed to participate in Fall 2000 rush because of it. Also, if they get caught violating any more rules, then they are going to have their chapter completely shut down. Our university officials are a bunch of fraternity hating bastards. So I wouldn't be suprised if they got kicked off in the near future.
Southern Gent, I'm glad to hear Beta has a great reputation there. Aggie Cowboys....cool. At our school, 20 minustes south of our nation's capital the "southern gentlemen" are known as the Kappa Alphas. I really rarely saw them around campus, more around intramurals. They are a great bunch of guys. Thats sad.... Hearing those problems with IFC and the campus do sound unfortunate. We had our share of problems at our campus/bad luck. Some of the stuff you talk about sounds familiar. Our stuff centered more around rush/financial debt. in my opinion, Not having a house during rush is a big minus. especially when the campus is anti-greek and has no greek row. I know at my campus. not having Beta is a great loss to the campus community. When I graduated in 97 which was awhile back my chapter closed. From what I have heard we are welcomed back as far as the campus goes, but I dont think it will ever happen again. Extend my regards to the Betas there.

Fraternally,

Kevin Mullinix
Beta Theta Pi Alumni
Epsilon Mu Chapter
George Mason University

[This message has been edited by kmullini (edited March 15, 2000).]

kmullini 03-21-2000 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by SigmaPiUCI:
I also have heard that Betas currently have the best GPA of all IFC at UCI.

Beta199 03-29-2000 02:44 AM

I am glad to see that most of you hold Betas in a high regard. I'm interested to see what more of you guys think about us.

Dave
Beta Theta Pi

Alumnus who cares 04-10-2000 11:39 AM

My school has one of the largest Greek systems in the country, and Betas were one of the biggest chapters on campus. I graduated 4 years ago, so I'm not sure how much things have changed since then. They live in a HUGE house, which at the time was kind of falling apart, but I know they have the resources to fix things up if necessary. Anyway, they had a great social schedule with all of the top sororities, and I went to one of their afterhours one time and there were so many people there that you could barely move.

southern_theta 06-21-2000 04:19 PM

i go to washington & lee univ. in va, where i am a kappa alpha theta. at my school, beta is in "the big 4," which are supposedly the 4 best/oldest houses. its reputation is that it has northerners/lacrosse players. it is definitely a very respectable house. they get some hot chicks.

kmullini 06-21-2000 05:34 PM

Alumnus who cares: What school? Thats awesome that Beta is doing well there. I know back in 95 I visited U of Ilinois which is a huge greek school and I had a great time during fall break at this block party that Beta was a part of. With 2 other fraternities and three sororities...The Beta House there is pretty huge...I mean we never had one at my school so I was in awe. That same weekend I saw the Ohio State Beta House on the way back to Va. and it was pretty big too.

Southern-Theta: Thats cool the W & L Betas are highly regarded and alot of them are lacrosse types..I was a rugby player myself at George Mason. Alot of my Epsilon Mu brothers are northerners too and some played different sports too.. I have never have seen their house at W & L. I have been to the Virginia Tech Betas house four years ago off Main Street in Blacksburg. Just a residential house really.

Kevin Mullinix
Beta Theta Pi Alum
Epsilon Mu Chapter
George Mason University

CanadianGirl 06-21-2000 05:55 PM

I went to the University of British Columbia and the Beta's were my favorite fraternity. They kind of had the reputation as being "milk drinkers" and jocks, but also for being monied and handsome.

To be fair, I did find the most "lookers" in Beta, but they just seemed to be more gentlemanly as well.