GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Kappa Alpha Theta at Harvard Closing (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=244297)

thetalady 07-24-2018 02:25 PM

Kappa Alpha Theta at Harvard Closing

I am absolutely sick at the announcement that the Kappa Alpha Theta chapter at Harvard University is closing due to pressure from the university.

https://www.kappaalphatheta.org/blog...ot-have-chosen

APhi2KD 07-24-2018 02:50 PM

NOOOOOO!!!
That only leaves ΑΦ and ΔΓ, am I right?
This is so wrong. :(

NYCMS 07-24-2018 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by APhi2KD (Post 2458114)
NOOOOOO!!!
That only leaves ΑΦ and ΔΓ, am I right?
This is so wrong. :(

I think someone posted in another thread that DG is closing...so only Alpha Phi.

Kappa's members (or many of them) - now that their chapter has closed - have re-organized themselves as a social club open to all genders. They've named it Fleur de Lis, one of their symbols.

33girl 07-24-2018 03:30 PM

Here’s the whole thing - how are they going to MAKE men join these clubs even if they aren’t single gender? They will end up being a de facto sorority, without national oversight.

APhi2KD 07-24-2018 04:00 PM

Forest. Trees. GAH!!!

PhilTau 07-24-2018 05:26 PM

Harvard did not treat Theta (and other sororities) very well. I would guess that Theta may be glad they no longer have to deal the eccentricities of that school and the people who work there. I do respect Theta's integrity in not letting Harvard push them around or make them become something that they have no desire to become.

Regarding reorganizing the former Harvard sororities into social clubs open to all genders -- there is a well-worn model for this. It may not be very popular to post this, but I recall back in the last century, some fraternity chapters were de facto co-ed organizations. Almost all fraternities had little sister organizations. Some had little sister groups with membership numbers almost equaling the male active membership.

Don't get me wrong, there were and are very good reasons for fraternities eliminating the little sister auxiliary groups. My point is that, from a current student's perspective, multi-gender fraternal collegiate groups have been done before - long ago - and in many instances quite successfully.

Titchou 07-24-2018 05:36 PM

DElta Gamma has left as well.

lake 07-24-2018 09:40 PM

This just makes me angry. I was really rooting for the remaining chapters and was proud of how they stood up to Harvard, but I understand why they chose not to continue.

I guess now that the evil single-gender Greek orgs are leaving, that will make Harvard a social utopia? 🙄🙄🙄

Just dumb.

GreekOne 07-24-2018 10:05 PM

So disappointing! I was so proud of DG, Alpha Phi and Theta for taking a stand. I guess the collegians simply felt the battle was not worth it. The votes to back down came from the collegians, not the HQs.

AGDee 07-24-2018 10:35 PM

This whole thing makes me so sick. Misogyny through and through. Take away all opportunities for women to have a safe space, leadership opportunities without oppression, and being forced to live in the "good ole boys" world without respite. Of course, since women aren't paid equally, I suppose their alumnae withholding donations or the like wouldn't have much of an effect.

thetalady 07-25-2018 02:33 AM

From Vanity Fair: What’s Really Behind the Civil War to End Harvard’s Fraternities?

NinjaPoodle 07-25-2018 02:39 AM

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2...ender-neutral/

more info on the policy
https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2...-stay-mainbar/

Kevin 07-25-2018 02:06 PM

Reading that Vanity Fair article... wow... what a shitshow. I think closing shop is the ethical thing to do for Greek organizations. If they chose to stay and fight the good fight, they are potentially putting anyone who signs up for their cause at risk of losing a Harvard education worth potentially millions of dollars.

shadokat 07-25-2018 04:38 PM

Interestingly, I scoured the internet for information about Fleur De Lis, which is actually on Facebook as The Fleur. There isn't a single guy outside of what looks to be their formal, who I may wrongly be assuming, but are the dates of the women.

I also read that Vanity Fair article, and there is no better word for it than shitshow. And I still don't get what the purpose is. It's a shame that they have forced this issue so far.

33girl 07-25-2018 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilTau (Post 2458124)

Regarding reorganizing the former Harvard sororities into social clubs open to all genders -- there is a well-worn model for this. It may not be very popular to post this, but I recall back in the last century, some fraternity chapters were de facto co-ed organizations. Almost all fraternities had little sister organizations. Some had little sister groups with membership numbers almost equaling the male active membership.

Don't get me wrong, there were and are very good reasons for fraternities eliminating the little sister auxiliary groups. My point is that, from a current student's perspective, multi-gender fraternal collegiate groups have been done before - long ago - and in many instances quite successfully.

Um no. I know I’ve told the story on here of the little sisters who basically ran the fraternity because the brothers were feather heads, but that is an anomaly. Brothers and little sisters have two different pledge programs and two different initiation rituals. It was not, repeat, NOT, anything you could call a “multi gender collegiate group.” Especially since in many cases, the little sisters could also belong to NPC sororities.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreekOne (Post 2458144)
So disappointing! I was so proud of DG, Alpha Phi and Theta for taking a stand. I guess the collegians simply felt the battle was not worth it. The votes to back down came from the collegians, not the HQs.

That’s unnecessarily harsh. These collegians are giving up scholarship money and campus positions that could help them in their future career if they stay in Greek organizations. It would be wonderful if none of the members had to worry about things like that, but probably the only students who don’t are the ones that Harvard administration think all Greeks are - the outrageously rich with family connections who really don’t have to worry about grades. If the chapters ended up being solely composed of such students, Harvard would just point to it as “see, we were right when we said this is what Greeks are about.”