GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Should I drop out of my sorority before recruitment? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=227272)

ASTalumna06 03-12-2017 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titchou (Post 2428848)
OK, here's the deal. If you drop, you can go thru next formal recruitment. However, there is no guarantee you will get a bid to any group. So, what you need to decide is if staying in the current group is better or worse than belonging to no group...because that very well could happen. You have no guarantees. Just trying to shoot straight with you.

Jinx :)

Cheerio 03-13-2017 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by undecided2404 (Post 2428793)
I joined a sorority a couple months ago, and I m not really happy with it, and haven t clicked with a lot of the girls. I chose this sorority for really crappy reasons. A friend of mine suicide bid there which definitely affected my decision, and I also picked it for shallow reasons like popularity and status. There was another sorority that I almost put first but I didn t because I really fit in and felt comfortable there but I felt like being me wasn t good enough. The day of bid day I knew I had made a mistake. But I stayed with it to see if it got better and I still am undecided. Is dropping the right choice? Or should I stay and hope that things get better?

Quote:

Originally Posted by undecided2404 (Post 2428846)
I'm just worried cause there's still a real chance I could be in the other sorority that I didn't pick for bad reasons (I have a lot of friends in it) but if I go through initiation at the sorority I'm currently pledging and drop after I wouldn't be able to rush next year... I'm just worried if I stay already feeling unhappy and a year from now I feel the same and end up dropping then I'll be left with nothing. I guess my gut is telling me to drop but I feel paralyzed by the fear that dropping is a mistake and that I'll regret it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titchou (Post 2428848)
OK, here's the deal. If you drop, you can go thru next formal recruitment. However, there is no guarantee you will get a bid to any group. So, what you need to decide is if staying in the current group is better or worse than belonging to no group...because that very well could happen. You have no guarantees. Just trying to shoot straight with you.

The advice here is genuine, and I hope you come back and let us know how your situation continues.

undecided2404 03-13-2017 11:17 PM

I've decided to drop. It has just been a huge source of anxiety for me lately and honestly I've just decided to go with my gut which tells me that this isn't right. I know that there are a lot of other factors, but at the end of the day I have to make the decision that's best for me, and I've tried really hard to justify the money and time commitment and I just can't. I understand that it will be hard at first but I have really supportive friends that I love who will help me get through this, and I truly believe that it's the right decision. Thank you so so much everyone for your advice it really helped!!!!

FSUZeta 03-14-2017 07:52 AM

Good luck to you.

cudphie 05-05-2017 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSUZeta (Post 2428795)
If you are initiated you can not join another sorority. Ever.

Actually you can, if you are initiated into a NPC then you can't join another NPC - but there is nothing stopping you from joining another orgnization, locals, nationals not on NPC, for example. Whether or not they'll accept someone who dropped is different with every organization

Similarly, if you were in a non NPC you can drop and try to go for a NPC, but it's up to that chapter whether they would like to give you a bid, I know at my school a girl dropped a local then went Phi Sig

33girl 05-05-2017 09:41 AM

You are right of course. We tend tohave a tad bit of NPC tunnel vision on this site (understandable given our membership).

Although if there were local sororities on my campus that were part of the college Panhellenic, participated in formal rush with the NPC sororities, and in general were looked at on the campus the same way as the NPC groups...maybe technically you can drop one of those groups and join an NPC, but in practice, it's kind of a really shady thing to do. And vice versa.