GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Kappa Kappa Gamma (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   fall recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=53350)

kappameg 07-07-2004 10:28 PM

fall recruitment

anyone else been thinking about fall recruitment yet? :) i know it's still pretty early for some, but i'm very excited!

MSKKG 07-08-2004 09:18 AM

Recruitment is one of my favorite times. I'm always excited to see it come around again!!!

TrueBlueKappa 07-08-2004 09:35 AM

I'm looking forward to it too... for all the obviously reasons, but also mostly because it means two weeks off work! Its my only vacation all summer. :)

ILLINIgirl 07-08-2004 09:53 AM

I'm so excited and I can't wait for work week (only about a month away for me). This is my first year being on the other side of rush and I can't wait to have a pledge kid and spoil her :D

LuvUTrulyKKG 07-08-2004 12:59 PM

Lucky girls!! I have to wait until January... it's an eternity away!! Good luck and let me know if you need any of us Eta Alpha girls to help with anything!!

curlygirly 07-09-2004 08:51 PM

only the chosen hold the key

I'm looking forward to Recruitment... and I can't even participate!!!! Since I'm an RA-- Resident Assistant-- I fall under Pi Chi "status" and can't rush girls. I'll have access to a bunch of freshmen girls who are rushing... so it's unfair for me to participate... plus I'll be in RA training and preparing the dorms for people to move in, so I can't participate in spirit week.

Either way... I'm super excited about Bid Day... I already have my outfit picked out and everything!! And this year I plan on sneaking in to Spirit Week at least once to see my sisters... because it sucks to drive by the house and see all the girls under the white tent, and not being able to participate. I graduate in December, so I plan on making the most of this semester with my little and what I hope will become an extended family!!!

On another note... I can't believe it's been 2 years since I went through recruitment... and kept a daily log of it on GreekChat!

<sigh> the memories... :D

Shima-Mizu 07-23-2004 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ILLINIgirl
I'm so excited and I can't wait for work week (only about a month away for me). This is my first year being on the other side of rush and I can't wait to have a pledge kid and spoil her :D
I can't wait to be on the other side too.

We have informal recruitment in the fall, but for the full blown formal recruitment I have to wait for January.

RiaLucia 07-28-2004 11:53 PM

I am very, very excited to see informal fall recruitment roll around! I came in as a fall girl in 2003 and having just been through the recruiting end of the spring formal process, I can tell you that, well, I like fall informal a lot. The laid-back atmosphere is more my speed.

I also serve my chapter as the new member education chairman, so along with the recruitment chair, this is my time to really roll up my sleeves and get to work. I've had all summer to think about what I did in the spring and how I can improve my game. :-) Bring on the new members!

Shima-Mizu 07-29-2004 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by RiaLucia
I also serve my chapter as the new member education chairman, so along with the recruitment chair, this is my time to really roll up my sleeves and get to work. I've had all summer to think about what I did in the spring and how I can improve my game. :-) Bring on the new members!
And I might add she is an AWESOME new member recruitment chair, as I was spring '04 and got to see her work as new member education chair first hand with my class. ^_^

sugrsingr 08-02-2004 04:49 PM

I'm looking forward to it and my school has the same setup as Cat.. COBs in the fall and formal recruitment in the winter.

I am on Panhellenic and I really want to get recruitment out to the incoming girls.. Any suggestions?

The first week of fall term, Panhel throws a "Greek Luau" and it in the past has had poor attendence, so I made the event mandatory for all of the chapters (it is good both ways.. either a lot of girls show up or the chapters get fined, which goes to Panhel!) so I am really hoping for it go well :)
I was also thinking of tabling during midterms and our theme is "don't just wish on a star, reach for one!' and hand out starbursts as a Panhellenic activity.

The guys on IFC think it is corny, but they do not have as much of a problem in getting people to go through recruitment.

RiaLucia 08-02-2004 05:15 PM

Quote:

I'm looking forward to it and my school has the same setup as Cat.. COBs in the fall and formal recruitment in the winter.
Cat and I are in the same chapter and I just wanted to clarify that our fall semester isn't quite COBs. Informal recruitment at our school is still pretty structured and is for a specific week that every sorority participates in at the same time, still with events held at certain times and a bid day, etc.

As for COBs, I know they did one in the spring of 2003 (Cat, though I'm sure you know this, that's how Eleni joined), but haven't done any since. As a general rule we tend not to use that method so much, largely because our numbers during informal and formal recruitment have been quite good.

As for your recruitment, I haven't been a part of the Greek community for quite a year yet, so I'm not as hip to how to get numbers up. However, does your school do freshman move-in? I've heard of some schools that do this, including ours. Basically Greeks sign up to come to school a little early and help the freshmen and their mass quantities of stuff, and the pres. of our chapter says recruitment really starts there. I'm assuming*, then, that everyone wears shirts and letters and basically talks to the people they move in in a way that encourages them to get to know the opportunities they have on campus, including Greek life. As freshmen they can't go through until they've completed one full semester, but it's never too early to plant the seed.

*I say assuming because I was a transfer student last fall and I moved in a little early myself, but it was into an upperclassman hall, so I missed out on freshman move in altogether

sugrsingr 08-02-2004 05:35 PM

We did have a freshman Move In crew two years ago.. I don't know if it was done my freshman year because all that I saw was Lambda Sigma (the sophomore honor society)

Multiple groups came and helped, but it cost too much for the administration because of meals.. with athletes already being there and freshmen, it tooks it's toll. Campus Activities instead started this group called "welcome leaders" which comprised of nine or so students to help the freshmen through orientation week. Seven of the members this year are female and Kappa has about four or five of those women :)

I wish the girls could still help. We made sure to get our panhel shirts early and the girls, well most girls, went united as Panhel and not their individual sororities. We ran into some girls holding tight onto their letters which was in bad taste, but a majority of the girls complied.

Shima-Mizu 08-03-2004 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by RiaLucia
As for COBs, I know they did one in the spring of 2003 (Cat, though I'm sure you know this, that's how Eleni joined), but haven't done any since. As a general rule we tend not to use that method so much, largely because our numbers during informal and formal recruitment have been quite good.
Actually, I did not know that, I just knew she had joined Spring '03.

Cool stuff though :D

kappameg 08-10-2004 08:43 PM

*bump*

just giving this a little bump because Recruitment time is upon us!!!! Day One of recruitment at marist college starts on September 6th... when do the rest of you girls start?

L & L,
Meg :D

LuvUTrulyKKG 08-17-2004 01:50 PM

*bump*

any results?