GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Movies on Bid day (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=245667)

CeresGirl 01-02-2019 04:56 PM

Movies on Bid day

So I'm currently trying to think of something fun for my sisters to do that's out of our house on bid day (we've grown exponentially these last few years and it's getting cramped to host all the members at once)

I was thinking of renting out a room at a local theater but I'm having trouble thinking of good movies that we could all watch with our new sisters and have the majority hopefully enjoy it, any ideas?

PearlGirl13 01-02-2019 05:40 PM

Is watching a movie the best idea for Bid Day? It seems like it might not be a great setting for getting to know your new sisters. Maybe there is something else that could be done away from your house but with more room for socializing?

CeresGirl 01-02-2019 06:07 PM

Ya, I thought about that too, it's just we're in a small town and there isn't much there for a group as large as ours. I didn't plan on having the movie right away, lunch and games would come first.

one spinoff I thought of was since we would have the theatre to ourselves was to make a home movie with highlights of years past and showcase memories to build excitement for what's to come, or use the screen as a large game board of Jeopardy or something. (but after typing that out I realized using a classroom on campus is a cheaper option )

navane 01-02-2019 07:18 PM

I agree - bid day calls for an interactive event and watching a movie is more of a "sit and be silent activity." I understand that being in a small town presents some challenges. Here are a few random ideas:

-- BBQ cook-out

-- Ice cream social (have a sundae bar with all the fixin's!)

-- Karaoke

-- Ice skating/roller skating

-- Bowling

NYCMS 01-02-2019 08:08 PM

I agree with my sister Navane - Bid Day is for interactive events.

I pledged decades ago, but a food event - in our case, it was a bar-b-que - seems popular when I've seen Bid Day pictures on Instagram this year and in past years. Cook-outs, candy/ice cream bars, etc. I've seen pics of chapters in recent years where they used a theme for the food, decor, outfits, etc.

For a food event, you could rotate tables...meaning that girls eat the main meal at one table, then if they have dessert, you have everyone get up and move to another place at the table. That way they interact with more sisters.

I also suggest going on Instagram and looking at various chapters' Bid Day pictures, you might get good ideas there.

phoenix16 01-02-2019 08:26 PM

A bid week activity my chapter did when I was a new member was a "sister scavenger hunt." There were fun facts about sisters around the room and as teams, we had to try to match the facts to the sisters. It got us to talk to all of the sisters and we struck up conversations about common interests and random connections we had. I instantly started to feel connected because I learned about the other new members and the active sisters while playing a game and having fun!

DaffyKD 01-02-2019 09:34 PM

Some things I have heard:

Bunco-- everyone is moving from table to table and able to continually meet new people

Ice cream social

BBQ has already been mentioned

DaffyKD

naraht 01-02-2019 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by navane (Post 2463445)
I agree - bid day calls for an interactive event and watching a movie is more of a "sit and be silent activity."

Well, unless it is Rocky Horror Picture Show...

navane 01-02-2019 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naraht (Post 2463451)
Well, unless it is Rocky Horror Picture Show...

"Hey Ceres! Show us your new members!"

(Triple bonus points if you can pick up that reference!!!)

Titchou 01-03-2019 08:09 AM

I don't know about your groups but Delta Gamma does not allow scavenger hunts. It is considered hazing.

ChioLu 01-03-2019 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titchou (Post 2463458)
I don't know about your groups but Delta Gamma does not allow scavenger hunts. It is considered hazing.

Per NPC, scavenger hunts are considered hazing. And most would think, “why?, Scavenger hunts are fun”. Example: There were cases of scavenger hunts that involved the forced drinking of alcohol to get the next clue. And basically it was requiring a set of people or a person to do an activity that was forced upon them and not their choice. That’s why it’s considered hazing.

I’ve know the person (since college) who helped write the NPC rule and we’ve had discussions about it. The scavenger hunts we had at my university were very tame and fun (it's how we did Big Sis Reveal), but sadly one bad apple spoils the whole barrel.

phoenix16 01-03-2019 03:24 PM

I hope that what we did wasn't classified as hazing since it was a heavily modified "scavenger hunt" (all clues were on the walls already, we were all in the same room and didn't need to leave, etc.). If it was, that makes me really sad! Our chapter was super careful about not doing anything that would make anyone uncomfortable.

Cheerio 01-03-2019 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenix16 (Post 2463449)
A bid week activity my chapter did when I was a new member was a "sister scavenger hunt." There were fun facts about sisters around the room and as teams, we had to try to match the facts to the sisters. It got us to talk to all of the sisters and we struck up conversations about common interests and random connections we had. I instantly started to feel connected because I learned about the other new members and the active sisters while playing a game and having fun!

Your description sounds like a matching game, not a scavenger hunt. :) The game you played connected sisters socially for the betterment of house unity.

Our era featured scavenger hunts where female pledges (remember those?) walked from frat house to frat house requesting very specific items such as their 1970 frat house composite, a used condom or a frat house president's signature on a pledge's bare thigh. THAT'S the type of scavenger hunt the NPC now asks us to avoid.

summer_gphib 01-03-2019 08:49 PM

Depending on the number of girls, what about a game day with a nacho bar? Games where you could have teams, and put girls who don't each other as well on teams together. (Along the lines of Trivia games and other board games.) I'm assuming it's pretty cold up north for a field day or bbq.

CeresGirl 01-04-2019 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summer_gphib (Post 2463480)
Depending on the number of girls, what about a game day with a nacho bar? Games where you could have teams, and put girls who don't each other as well on teams together. (Along the lines of Trivia games and other board games.) I'm assuming it's pretty cold up north for a field day or bbq.

Usually, it's chilly and somewhat wet on bid day, this next year they're talking about moving it up *fingers crossed* a typical bid day for us was taking a ton of photos, then lunch (while everyone is eating we write the new members social media up on the board and people start adding each other) Then we take the new members upstairs to talk about pledge class and other logistics, usually everyone is leaving and cleaning up by then. Our "dining room" only seats around 30% of our chapter and the rest of us take up the floor and stand around the island in the kitchen so it's not really that inviting to want to stick around.

I would like to get the girls to stay longer and interact with their new sisters. Unless we're outside or rent a venue we're going to half to split up into two groups, one upstairs and one downstairs for team building.