GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   pledge class names (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=11850)

alphaxidelta12 11-13-2001 11:45 PM

pledge class names

i was just wondering if any of you out there had to name your pledge class? if you did what did your class name yourselves. ours was "xi dirty dozen" because there were 12 of us!

nicole
alpha xi delta, zeta iota chapter

PenguinTrax 11-14-2001 09:05 AM

Naming new member classes is something that is usually found in the BGLO groups. Most of the NPC groups do not allow such a thing as it creates a division between the new members and the initiated sisters and the purpose of the updated new member programs that everyone uses is to eliminate such divisions and the opportunity for hazing that can (but doesn't always) accompany it.

In addition, most of the new member programs in the NPC are aimed at inclusion of the new members and by giving special names to new member classes, it works against that goal.

Just some words from a (somewhat) wiser alumna.

Barbara

maggieaxid 11-14-2001 09:07 AM

Ok, so maybe its an AZD thing. Each class was assigned a greek letter and that group was called that. (ie. I was a Theta, bc I was in the Theta Class)

PenguinTrax 11-14-2001 09:22 AM

I think there is a difference from identifying a new member class by a 'generic' designation (such as Greek letter) and giving each new member class a special name.

Many chapters designate each new member class by a greek letter name, but most do not assign (or encourage) each new member class to create a name for themselves.

Subtle but important difference.

AOPiLaLa 11-14-2001 09:46 AM

Nope, its not just an AZD thing--my AOTT pledge class is was the NU girls. So we always laugh that we will always be pledges because we are the eternal NU girls. And sadly, even that is being discouraged because it may be a form of hazing--to seperate like that. But I like it!!

AngelPhiSig 11-14-2001 10:18 AM

We dont have greek letters because Phi Sigma Sigma nationals dont really care for it, so we were spring 2000... although the chapter at Slippery Rock uses greek letters... and their spring 2000 were the sigmas Im pretty sure, so the one girl started calling me a sigma also... :) hehe...

My TBSigma MC class was the BE class....

pirate00 11-14-2001 11:26 AM

My chapter has an interesting way of naming pledge classes. We take the names of our Pledgemaster, Vice-Presidents of Service and Membership, and our President and combine them. Example: this semester's pledge class namesake was Delta Alpha Mu. (Delta-Drake[last name of Pledgemaster]) (Alpha-Angie[VP-Service]) (Mu-Morrisette[last name of President]and Michael[first name of VP-Membership). The National Fraternity has a preset namesake for a semester's pledge class, however it is up to each individual chapter on what to name their pledge classes.

-pirate00

Alpha Phi Omega www.apo.org
Kappa Upsilon www.geocities.com/apoku_99
East Carolina University www.ecu.edu

UMgirl 11-14-2001 12:46 PM

We just went thru the greek alpha beta, I think ours was Theta something officially counting all the chapters, but since we recolonized we were Fall Alpha

ladyj39 11-14-2001 02:15 PM

Our chapter went through the Greek alphabet also, but my class called ourselves the "Sigma Bananas". Long story.... :D

alphaxidelta12 11-14-2001 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by PnguinTrax

In addition, most of the new member programs in the NPC are aimed at inclusion of the new members and by giving special names to new member classes, it works against that goal.

we were given the choice to make up a name for our class. it was just a fun thing for us to do. i don't feel like it disrupts the inclusion of the new memeber classes. i just wanted everyone to know that it wasn't like we were forced to do this and there was no hazing involved at all.

AKA2D '91 11-14-2001 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by PnguinTrax
Naming new member classes is something that is usually found in the BGLO groups. Most of the NPC groups do not allow such a thing as it creates a division between the new members and the initiated sisters and the purpose of the updated new member programs that everyone uses is to eliminate such divisions and the opportunity for hazing that can (but doesn't always) accompany it.

Barbara

how does it create division between members from your perspective or even a non-BGLO perspective?

:confused:

33girl 11-14-2001 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by AKA2D '91

how does it create division between members from your perspective or even a non-BGLO perspective?

:confused:

AKA2D '91,

This is instance #42,529 in the "going overboard with anti-hazing rules in NPC groups" songbook. If the pledges are differentiated in any way from the sisters it gets construed as hazing. Plus there are people who seem to think promoting pledge class unity in any form will be the downfall of western civilization.

We never did it (we had enough trouble remembering Fall '89 or whatever) but if it's something the group wants to do I see nothing wrong with it.

AKA2D '91 11-14-2001 08:28 PM

I couldn't help it!

DANNNNNGGGGGGG. You all have alot of instances. LOL

Optimist Prime 11-15-2001 03:32 PM

I was in the beta class. I still am sort of. They are always my pledge brothers. We WERE the beta class. But we're not called beta class anymore. We're all brothers in the fraternity. The next class will be Gamma. Then Epsilon. Screw Delta. Stupid little thing, thinks its so great. Its only a triangle.

aephi alum 11-15-2001 08:07 PM

We just ran through the Greek alphabet. As a chapter founder I was part of the Alpha class. Kind of boring :)