GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   A Fake PMN Just to Write an Article (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=121886)

ZetaPhi708 09-12-2011 10:44 PM

A Fake PMN Just to Write an Article

A University of Tennessee @ Chattanooga student newspaper editor/reporter goes through Recruitment just to write an article...

http://www.utcecho.com/features/edit...ment-1.2570395

( In the print edition of the 9/8 issue, there are 2 Letters to the Editor about her "participation" but I could not find online versions posted on The Echo's website. )

katydidKD 09-12-2011 10:48 PM

That is two minutes i will never get back, ever. Her article...had no point.

DrPhil 09-12-2011 10:49 PM

womp womp

IrishLake 09-12-2011 10:52 PM

I was gonna say... she didn't expose anything, unless she had a wardrobe malfunction during pref. There was no point to that.

33girl 09-12-2011 10:53 PM

Ok, let me get this straight. This girl came back early, AND paid the recruitment fee, with no intention of pledging at all?

That's messed up. Not to mention incredibly stupid.

There are some comments if you scroll past the links to other articles.

ElieM 09-12-2011 10:54 PM

gosh - recruitment is noisy, stressful and rushed. Who knew?

katydidKD 09-12-2011 10:56 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8rrIYevONQ

i was all excited, expecting this kind of juice ^

ZetaPhi708 09-12-2011 11:54 PM

What was more upsetting to myself, and one of the Letters to the Editor pointed out also, is that she took a bid that could have been for another person.

*winter* 09-13-2011 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katydidKD (Post 2090664)
That is two minutes i will never get back, ever. Her article...had no point.

Well...that's less time than the author wasted to produce an "expose" story of things we already know.

excelblue 09-13-2011 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZetaPhi708 (Post 2090694)
What was more upsetting to myself, and one of the Letters to the Editor pointed out also, is that she took a bid that could have been for another person.

This. That's what annoyed me the most about the whole article.

It only contained information that could have easily been found just by talking to someone or even searching on this forum, except with the writer's opinions injected.

I'm not sure if this is actually the case, but I get the feeling that she could have easily gotten the scoop by kindly asking panhellenic for permission to watch or something.

Xidelt 09-13-2011 06:46 AM

Besides being pointless, the article is poorly written. It had no conclusion. The author didn't draw any conclusions, disclose how far she got in the process, etc. Great job for Swiss cheese journalism!

AlphaFrog 09-13-2011 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fsu2012 (Post 2090720)
wow u guys are pretty dumb. this girl wanted to give people a real experience of what rushing is like.

rushing sucks in general. the whole idea is awful because you don't really get to personally know the people rushing and you have to make crazy generalizations after a 10 minute interview with somebody.

it makes more sense to get to know the people you want to recruit way before recruitment. theres alot of places on campus where people go and a lot easier ways to have conversations and to get to know your future members. maybe if you dip****s really understood the article and knew how to recruit you wouldnt be getting so offended over the reality of it all.

This is funny. Bitter and reeking of rejection, and funny. Carry on.

BraveMaroon 09-13-2011 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fsu2012 (Post 2090720)
you don't really get to personally know the people rushing and you have to make crazy generalizations after a 10 minute interview with somebody.

Wow, good thing that's not a scenario that's going to play out over and over and over again later in life.

If you think rush is tough, try interviewing in this job market - to say nothing of dating, parties...

Everyone is making quick judgements all the time. You don't have to like it, you just have to work it.

Oh, and I'd one of the d!psh!ts making hiring decisions. Don't call me, I won't call you.

jenidallas 09-13-2011 08:33 AM

We had a "fake" PNM go through at TCU this year too. She actually DID disclose herself though and the student life staff was apparently aware of her as they were urging houses to keep her through at least the second round.

This PNM was in her mid-30s, had children, and was upfront with every girl who spoke to her that she was writing a book about campus life and was going through recruitment to better understand the process from a PNM perspective. She basically interviewed each member who rushed her during their time together asking questions about sorority life, recruitment, etc.

I give her props for at least disclosing her motivations... but I know our girls didn't keep her her after round 1. I'm not certain if anyone did, despite the urging of the university. No one wanted her taking the space of someone who could actually accept a bid!

DubaiSis 09-13-2011 10:28 AM

I think the story of what rush is like is one that a lot of people would find interesting. It doesn't need to be an "expose" (really, it's not that exciting), but I think a person could tell a story worth reading about what happens. I remember reading a good one about a Northwestern University recruitment. She included the fact that she felt really bad about taking someone's spot, and she did not get as far as preference before dropping out.

And I think a woman, like the above, would be treated with courtesy and been given a lot of nuggets if she just asked. No, she couldn't sit in on voting, but I bet an ambitious journalist could get herself invited into the basement between parties, which would really be eye-opening to a lot of people who think these parties just magically HAPPEN.