GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Alumnae Initiation (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=208)
-   -   Amazing Tri Sigma AI story from Convention 2013. (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=135530)

KSUViolet06 08-18-2013 02:19 PM

Amazing Tri Sigma AI story from Convention 2013.

I thought about posting about this before, but our most recent Alumnae Update put it into better words than I could have.

At the 43rd National Convention in June 2013, Tri Sigma initiated our Honor Alumnae Initiate, Elizabeth "Liz" Gillmore. Liz has quite a powerful story.

Imagine if you will, being an undergraduate and always being interested in joining a sorority, but your university didn't have sororities on campus. One day, you see a poster advertising a sorority that is coming to campus and you couldn't be more excited that your dreams are about to come true. After one information meeting, you immediately knew you could never live without the women of Sigma Sigma Sigma. The possibility of being a charter member is just an added bonus! So, you decide to join.

Although, it's not an easy process for you and your chapter members. The colony experiences ongoing struggles. Without a history of Greek life on the campus, the colony struggles to recruit members. Then during your senior year, after you've worked so hard to be initiated into an organization you've waited your whole life to join, the colony closes weeks before graduation.

Upset, disappointed and just a slew of emotions, you graduate and continue on, without achieving the goal of initiation. Until the day Tri Sigma comes back into your life through a twist of fate. You discover your Graduate Assistantship at the University of Wisconsin - La Crosse is with Tri Sigma's National President, Kaye Schendel. Tri Sigma is constantly coming up in conversations, and you've never felt stronger that deep in your heart you were meant to be a Tri Sigma sister.

As you work alongside Kaye, she begins to see your potential - your dedication, your love for student development, your tenacity. Then it all happens so fast. You are asked to join Tri Sigma as an alumna initiate, then recommended to become an initiate at Convention, then being selected to be initiate at Convention! In an instant, Kaye is standing alongside you at Convention as you are initiated in the Iota Alpha Chapter during Convention as the Honor Alumnae Initiate. Not just an initiate; the HONOR initiate! Your dream to have a lifetime bond with sisters and an Organization you so dearly love has become a reality.

The story above describes Liz Gilmore’s experience with Tri Sigma and sheds light on why she was selected by Executive Council to be the 2013 Alumna Honor Initiate. Liz never lost her longing to be a Tri Sigma. She always felt a special connection to Tri Sigma and we are very fortunate to have her finally join our bonds of friendship.

Of the initiation, Kaye has said, "Of all the initiation ceremonies I have done, Liz’s will hold a special place in my heart because I knew what being initiated meant to her and what it meant to me to FINALLY welcome her into our sisterhood. I think Liz will bring so much to our organization. She truly understands that membership is a lifetime commitment and is already looking for ways to get involved."

NinjaPoodle 08-18-2013 03:03 PM

Congratulations to Ms. Gilmore!

nyapbp 08-18-2013 03:09 PM

What a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing it.

KSUViolet06 08-18-2013 08:14 PM

I was there when she was initiated. She was practically in tears. There really was not a dry eye in the house (Kaye's included.)

Sassmofi 08-19-2013 09:12 AM

I was one of the advisors for the colony Liz joined. I met Liz at the colony recruitment. She is the epitome of who a Tri Sigma woman should be. I would have loved to attend her intiation. I wish I would have known she was the alumna initiate as I would have definitely attended convention. I had seriously debated coming from London. This would have tipped the hat (have family in Orlando area). Kaye was part of the colonization team.

FSUZeta 08-19-2013 09:36 AM

Congratulations to Liz and to Tri Sigma.

ASUADPi 08-20-2013 10:36 PM

That is an awesome story!

Congratulations to Liz and her finally being able to initiate in Tri Sigma!

littlesquirrel 08-23-2013 04:55 PM

I'm a few days late seeing this, but this is a beautiful story. Congratulations to all involved!