GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Rushing Twice and As a Senior? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=241037)

collegegirl96 01-07-2018 06:27 PM

Rushing Twice and As a Senior?

Hello! So at my school we have recruitment during the spring semester, so in about 3 weeks and I'm thinking about rushing. A little background info, I came to my school as a sophomore transfer student and rushed that spring. On the last day I got called back to one sorority but I felt like that was not the best group for me which lead me to drop. Junior year I had some personal stuff going on so I did not rush and now here I am as a senior reconsidering.

I went through some post here about other girls in the same situation and a lot of people said not to go through it or don't expect to get the results that you wanted. I go to a private school in NY so we only have about 5 sororities so it is not super "competitive". I don't want to feel like I'm "competing" with the younger girls but then again I want to prove that I can be just as active and contribute to the sorority in this one semester just as much as a freshman would.

Any advice is appreciated :)

Titchou 01-07-2018 06:40 PM

I can guarantee you one thing - if you don't go thru,you will not be a member. So the only way to have a chance to find a "home" is to sign up and try.

33girl 01-07-2018 08:34 PM

Re your saying it isn't super competitive -

You rushed as a sophomore (not unusual) and were cut from four groups. You only had one left which you didn't like and so you dropped out of rush entirely. That is competitive enough.

In the two years between then and now, have you gotten to know members of the Greek community? Have you developed close friendships with any sorority members?

As Titchou said, and she is right, you won't know unless you try, but if you haven't done anything outside of a formal rush situation to get to know Greek members, don't be surprised if people question your motives.

ASTalumna06 01-08-2018 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by collegegirl96 (Post 2450947)
Hello! So at my school we have recruitment during the spring semester, so in about 3 weeks and I'm thinking about rushing. A little background info, I came to my school as a sophomore transfer student and rushed that spring. On the last day I got called back to one sorority but I felt like that was not the best group for me which lead me to drop. Junior year I had some personal stuff going on so I did not rush and now here I am as a senior reconsidering.

I went through some post here about other girls in the same situation and a lot of people said not to go through it or don't expect to get the results that you wanted. I go to a private school in NY so we only have about 5 sororities so it is not super "competitive". I don't want to feel like I'm "competing" with the younger girls but then again I want to prove that I can be just as active and contribute to the sorority in this one semester just as much as a freshman would.

Any advice is appreciated :)

Whatever you do, don't tell women that you're going to "contribute to the sorority in this one semester just as much as a freshman would." And please tell me that's not your only intention. If you're trying to join as a senior, you should be committed to an organization for life, and you should make it known that you plan to contribute beyond college.

My chapter had a senior join, and she emphasized that she wanted to be involved long after school ended. She was an integral part in getting an alumnae chapter started in the area and she is still heavily involved nearly ten years later.

Joining as a senior is a different experience. If a chapter is even willing to take you on, they'll want to know that you're committed to the organization and that you're not just out to get some letters to wear.