GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Dating & Relationships (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   wedding photography (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=102266)

KSUViolet06 01-09-2009 06:07 PM

wedding photography

I don't think we have a thread for this. Since I am a photography nerd (very new to photography but I love it), I feel like there should be a thread for photography/photojournalism related stuff.

Favorite photographers? Must have shots? Photography issues?

Benzgirl 01-09-2009 06:31 PM

Give me some time to find this one in Cleveland. He is excellent. You will understand when you see his site.

KSUViolet06 01-09-2009 06:44 PM

Favorites:

Jasmine Star (Orange County)

Mark Brooke (Orange County)

Jessica Claire (Orange County)

RAD Photography (from Cleveland!)

Genevieve Nisly (from Akron/Canton)

VAgirl18 01-09-2009 06:46 PM

My photographer:

www.hyonsmithphotography.com

WinniBug 01-09-2009 07:47 PM

Here was our "must have" photo
:-)
https://www.buddybartels.com/client/...s/IMG_7237.jpg

I just wish we'd been able to stand higher up on the steps so the other half of our guests would have been in the shot.

OtterXO 01-09-2009 08:12 PM

I absolutely love photographers who have the talent of capturing really great candid shots. I think the posed shots can be nice too, but I prefer them to look as though the camera isn't there.

One of my friends hired a great photographer and there was some mix up with scheduling and she ended up with this awful guy. He had no idea how to deal with lighting (especially since it was outdoors!) and most of the photos ended up with severe shadows across everyone's faces. It was just terrible, I felt so bad for her. If I get married that is definitely the one thing I'm not going to scrimp on, especially after seeing her try to desperately make an album out of the 5 good shots and a bunch of shadowed shots.

PhoenixAzul 01-09-2009 08:44 PM

This is coming from my photo training and my just married bridal self.

Talk to your photographer, show them examples of what sorts of pictures you like (like the cool group shot above, or if you want the dramatic "demure bride" pictures). But understand that each photographer has their own style, and it isn't really on to ask them to reproduce another photographer's shot. Generally, they'll use it as inspiration and take your advice, because hey! you're the client. It's all about striking a balance between your needs and wants and the abilities of the photographer. If it's possible, try to schedule some sort of "tweener" session with them...not your engagement photos, but maybe just some couple shots, before going whole hog on a contract for a wedding. They might be brilliant in the portfolio, but you may find that their personality just doesn't jive with yours and all your pictures end up looking like you were eating sour apples. It is all about the balance.

On the shots...my favorite shots of the whole wedding are of the Chicken Dance and the hokey pokey (it's Pittsburgh, it ain't a wedding without without a chicken dance). The kids are happy and smiling, we all look silly, we're all holding hands, and it's a mix of everyone...family, friends, young, old. So throwing in a goofy song can yield a brilliant picture opportunity.

We asked our photographer for a lot of journalistic shots, but we also requested some traditional formal portraits at the church to satisfy the parents/grands.

SthrnZeta 01-09-2009 10:12 PM

I absolutely love Tracy Turpen but she's WAY out of our price range.

www.tracyturpen.com

So, we've gone with a fairly new guy, Phillip Faulkner out of Athens, GA.

www.dawgprints.net

Our package is about $1k, unlimited amount of time on the day of, online proofs with a CD of them also, and a free engagement session. We were obviously thrilled :) My dad will be doing the videography since he's been a TV engineer for longer than I can remember so I think we'll have the day covered.

KSUViolet06 01-12-2009 08:11 PM

Some more faves:

Corey Ann Photography (from here in northeast Ohio)

Ohana (San Diego)

Chris+Lynn photography (Vancouver)

Imagen (Cleveland)

KSUViolet06 01-13-2009 03:04 PM

Alisha&Brook photography (California)

Kitty Maer (Columbus, OH)

ZTAMich 01-13-2009 04:40 PM

Our photographer has since gone out of the wedding biz and been a total flake getting us our digital images & album. UGH

here are some people I coulda, shoulda, woulda hired...

Kenny Pang lots of NYC Knot brides love him

Jim Kocis

Jennifer Davis

Sandra O'Claire we went and met her, didn't go with her, wish we did.

Megan Dey a friend of ours who works out of CT

and since I love love love these, 2 videographers....

Well Spun Weddings

Film Jones click on film2, then the clip that has the flower girls with candles (diane & neal's ceremony)...my favorite!! The story the priest tells is a beautiful greek myth. It makes me cry!!

Unregistered- 01-13-2009 06:05 PM

Red Heart Photography (Hawaii) -- she's updating her portfolio at the moment, but her blog's up and running so you can see her work.

I've loved her work since I saw this wedding.

KSUViolet06 01-14-2009 12:38 AM

Gene Higa (San Francisco)

Andrew Jordan Photo (NE Ohio)

APhi Sailorgirl 01-14-2009 08:38 AM

We absolutely loved our photographer. We're still waiting on final images since he does everything himself and after being with us for 13+ hours I know there are thousands of pictures.

Brad Howe

Here are some shots from our wedding on his blog: Blog. We're the first couple listed. And it started raining halfway through the ceremony, so I'm hoping he got some awesome rain shots.

ZTABullwinkle 01-14-2009 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by APhi Sailorgirl (Post 1765324)
We absolutely loved our photographer. We're still waiting on final images since he does everything himself and after being with us for 13+ hours I know there are thousands of pictures.

Brad Howe

Here are some shots from our wedding on his blog: Blog. We're the first couple listed. And it started raining halfway through the ceremony, so I'm hoping he got some awesome rain shots.

I just looked at the pictures on his blog from your wedding. I am so jealous! (Yes I had a good photographer, but she wasn't as great as I thought she would be.) Your pictures are gorgeous.