GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   "Technically" Speaking (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=501)

Artimis 06-25-2000 11:43 AM

"Technically" Speaking

The presense of women has been increasing in the areas that were traditionally male: sciences, math, engineering, archieture. With this increase, Greek Life is seeing the rise of atleast three small national sororites designed to fulfill the needs of and provide sisterhood to some of these women. These sisterhoods are begining to encompass many fine women who probably would have shyed away from greek life. I'm only speaking from personal experience and my sisterhood. At the University of Oklahoma, few female engineering students we're greek. I knew one house of about a 100 girls, maybe about 5 of them were in engineering or sciences. I believe my suitmate said she was the only engineering major.

Which brings me to my question. With in your own sorority or greek life, do you have many technical majors? If its low or high, is it due more to level of commitment, or just not enough interest expressed from women in those majors.

For those that are interested the sororties that are technically geared that I'm aware of are: (yes i'm bias on the order)
Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies
Alpha Omega Epsilon
Phi Sigma Rho

If you are aware of others let me know!

Thanks
Jenn

------------------
Beta Chapter Alumna and Founder
http://alpha-sigma-kappa.ou.edu
http://www.alpha-sigma-kappa.org

[This message has been edited by Artimis (edited June 25, 2000).]

SilverTurtle 06-25-2000 03:12 PM

In my experience, women in technical/science fields weren't as common in Greek life, either. My GLO is a professional arts fratenrity, so you can imagine the lack of such women here http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif However, we did have one environmental science and math major in my graduating class, and a sprinkling of math/science majors (especially education) who had a love for art/music, etc. Our school had a School of Nursing, but I wasn't aware of a large number of them being Greek (of course, I could be wrong... that's my perception and memory!)

------------------
SilverTurtle@greekchat.com
Phi Beta Fraternity
Phi chapter

BFulton 06-25-2000 06:32 PM

Well, I'm coming from a biased view, but we definitely have lots of women in traditionally male fields! My sorority, Sigma Alpha, was formed to promote women in agriculture. Thus, we have a very high percentage of women in what you might classify as technical majors: agricultural engineering, animal science, plant & soil science, horticulture, pre-vet, forestry, biology, landscape architecture, etc. The remaining members are mostly agricultural economics, agricultural communications, agricultural education, etc. majors (mostly B.S. degrees but somewhat fewer "technical" courses). I would say that we also attract a fair number of women to Greek life who otherwise might shy away from it.

If anyone is interested in learning more, we're at the address below.
www.sigmaalpha.org

Artimis 07-09-2000 10:29 AM

SilverTurtle: I can see why you'd have few techies in your group!

Bfulton: I didn't realize how broad the major base was in agriculture. I guess I only though one or two majors just attracked alot of students rather then such a variety of specific majors.

localsorority: thanks for the input!

Greek life adds so much to college and beyond. And I think as the number of women continue to grow in the techie areas that we'll see an increase in sororities to proved the support that many of them desire.

jenn

Taykimson 07-09-2000 11:14 AM

Interesting topic Artimis,

My undergrad chapter had many members majoring in engineering alone. I am a Chemical Engineer. Of my line of 41, 18 of us had technical majors (engineering, sciences, math, etc).

Similarly for the lines before and after me. Many of the sorors that I made initial contact with and told them of my interest were engineering majors, 2 of which were Chemical Engineers.

The two young women I sponsored in the Spring of 92 were technical. One was a chemical engineer the other was in the School of Technology.

From what I can tell, the engineering/technical tradition continues at my undergrad chapter. I must note that my university is well known for the School of Engineering and all that graduate from it are very proud of its history.

Now that I think about it, all greeks on the yard had quite a few engineering majors.

------------------
Alpha Kappa Alpha
17-Alpha Phi-91

ceres 07-09-2000 05:24 PM

Just so everyone will know there is another agricultural oriented sorority. Ceres International Women's Fraternity was founded at the 1984 FarmHouse fraternity conclave. It (yes I'm biased) is great having access to almost a hundred years worth of FarmHouse alumni, experience, and lots of big brothers. We are also a prof and social organization so we have the best of both worlds. I could go on but I just wanted to inform.
Thanks
WKU Ceres Chapter
http://www.wku.edu/~ceres/

Quote:

Originally posted by BFulton:
Well, I'm coming from a biased view, but we definitely have lots of women in traditionally male fields! My sorority, Sigma Alpha, was formed to promote women in agriculture. Thus, we have a very high percentage of women in what you might classify as technical majors: agricultural engineering, animal science, plant & soil science, horticulture, pre-vet, forestry, biology, landscape architecture, etc. The remaining members are mostly agricultural economics, agricultural communications, agricultural education, etc. majors (mostly B.S. degrees but somewhat fewer "technical" courses). I would say that we also attract a fair number of women to Greek life who otherwise might shy away from it.

If anyone is interested in learning more, we're at the address below.
www.sigmaalpha.org

mgdzkm433 07-10-2000 08:30 AM

It's great to know that you aren't limited to just one either. You can be a part of a organization that deals with your major (professional) AND a social if you like. I pledged Sigma Alpha Iota (Professional Music Fraternity for Women) in the Spring of 97. All the members were "musically inclined" which is sort of a pre-requisit. All members were music majors or had been music majors at one time. We had one member who wasn't either of those, but really wanted to join and she was in the flag corp for the marching band, and she did play the claranet and was learning to play the flute. So she was initiated too. I hadn't planned on pledging a social sorority, but after joining one and seeing how great it is, I wanted to do more--outside of my major (music). So I joined Delta Zeta, whose national philanthropy is to aid the seeing and hearing impaired.

------------------
Mikki
Delta Zeta Alum
Kappa Mu Chapter
Sigma Alpha Iota Alum
Eta Tau Chapter

"Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage."

--Lao Tzu

[This message has been edited by mgdzkm433 (edited July 10, 2000).]

sctroy 07-12-2000 01:04 PM

Yes I am baised too, but my sorority is ALL engineering and technical majors, Alpha Omega Epsilon. We were founded in 1983 to support women in these fields. Also our brother fraternity Sigma Phi Delta, has been around for over 75 years supporting men in Engineering. It has been my experience that most technical majors do not 'fit in' with the traditional sororities or fraternities. And like the other organization mentioned before we have the best of both worlds, professional and social.

Alpha Omega Epsilon www.aoesorority.org

equeen 07-12-2000 02:10 PM

http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif...and of course my POV is completely biased as well, my sisters are majoring in all kinds of engineering, geology & geophysics, architecture, meteorology, computer science, math, chemistry...we're all techies, but then that's the whole point of A.S.K. http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif

Artimis & BFulton have a good point, I think "social/professional" GLOs like those mentioned here do bring a lot of people into greek life, who otherwise wouldn't really care for it. http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif I know that most of my chapter's founding sisters hadn't really thought about rushing until they heard about A.S.K., and then they were really intrigued by the opportunities that a social-professional GLO could offer, both for an individual sister's as well as the community.

There are actually quite a few NIC/NPC/NPHC greeks at OU now who are in technical degree programs, they just happen to be spread out, not necessarily concentrated in any one particular house. This may have changed from when you were at OU, Artimis. I think they really enjoy being part of their houses, it can get rough though balancing all the academic committments and doing your utmost for your house. I guess in that sense, it is pretty tough to fit in, sctroy.

By the way, Taykimson, several AKAs at OU are in the College of Engineering, and I had the priviledge of being lab-partners this past semester with one of them! http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
equeen
A Lioness has her Pride!
@>--;--

[This message has been edited by equeen (edited July 12, 2000).]

Artimis 08-31-2000 11:07 PM

Greetings,

Wanted to thank everyone for their posts! As far of my chapters homepage, we've created a list of sisterhoods and brotherhoods that are geared towards technical majors/fields. (Amoung other Greek links) If i'm missing any let me know. the link is below! Please excuse the "dust" so to speak in the other parts of the pages. We are slowly rebuilding. Though do let us know what you think!
http://alpha-sigma-kappa.ou.edu/beta...es/greeks.html

------------------

Sisters by nature; Friends by Choice

Dewgirl 09-01-2000 02:04 AM

I am also a member of a professional GLO based on music. We all had to be music majors or minors as a prerequisite of pledging (all though some of us - including myself - are no longer involved in music). I envy those of you who's professional GLOs seem so intwined with the "purely social" Greek orgs. There is a lot of anymosity on my campus between Professional GLOs and social GLOs. (some of you may remember I brought this up in a previous post). I am suprised that a few of you mentioned you were members of both - is that allowed in your orgs???

Regarding the technical fields...engineering isn't even offered at my school, otherwise I'd let you know. But a lot of my high school friends went on to school for science type degrees, and they didn't join greek life...

[This message has been edited by Dewgirl (edited September 01, 2000).]

mgdzkm433 09-01-2000 08:42 AM

I can answer that question. Yes, you are allowed to be a member of both. Let me explain. I'm a member of Sigma Alpha Iota Professional Music Fraternity for Women. Now, because of the 'rules' I can NOT join another music glo. BUT, if say my major changed to business, I could then join a professional business glo, if I wanted to. Now, the thing with socials and professionals, I can join one or the other, or both, but I can't join 2 socials. Once you are a member of a social glo, you are no longer eligable to join another social glo, but you can be a member of a professional. So I was able to then join Delta Zeta Social Sorority.

On my campus, there was a lot of animosity among socials and professionals too. The social organizations thought that professionals weren't 'real' greeks, and the professionals thought that the socials were all 'stuck up' but, I tried to dispell both of those myths when I became a member of both.

equeen 09-01-2000 10:10 AM

The pages look great, very comprehensive! http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif I would add links to CNHL and NALFO as well, since we have them for NIC, NPC and NPHC.

------------------
equeen
A Lioness has her Pride!
@>--;--

Artimis 09-01-2000 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dewgirl:
I am suprised that a few of you mentioned you were members of both - is that allowed in your orgs???

I think it depends on the organization. My sorority, Alpha Sigma Kappa, was incorporated as a social sorority. Thus, members can't join another social sorority. I can't speak for some of the others. I think some of the confusion stems from the fact that our sisterhood in a sense bridges the world between social and professional. We are a collection of women that limit membership due to major, but fuction as a social sorority. We have professional fraternities on campus, but they seem to function differently then we do, and many of them are co-ed. We are still in the process of being accepted on campus. I think because Triangle Fraternity exists on campus (they limit memebership based on education as well), that the other social sororities and fraternites see us more as a social sorority then professional..

more laters maybe..

jenn

------------------

Sisters by nature; Friends by Choice

SilverTurtle 09-01-2000 09:13 PM

I didn't know that you could be a member of more than 1 PFA organization, regardless of profession. I always thought it was kind of like the NPHC or NPC, etc. rules, where once you were in 1, that was it. (Not that I'm saying you're wrong, I just didn't know & thought it was interesting).

I do know that most, if not all, music GLOs have some kind of clause/rule that prohibits membership in another music GLO. However, I did see something somewhere (on the web maybe?) about SAI & Tau Beta Sigma (the women's band sorority).. about how this rule was "suspended" between the 2 orgs because of their different focuses or something? Maybe an SAI or TBS could clear this up?

As far as professional vs. social GLOs go: on my campus (which was small, under 2000 undergrads) Greek life was small. The only national GLOs were all members of PFA. The 6 social GLOs were all locals (3 frats & 3 sororities). There was some animosity & misunderstanding between the 2 "types" of GLOs, although it was continually improving as the professional orgs became more & more involved over time. (My chapter kind of focused on being more involved in Greek life the past few years). Also, my chapter is one of the oldest GLO's on the campus, so I think that helps.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Just a Note: there WERE NPHC (BGLOs) orgs represented on campus, but were parts of city-wide chapters. Therefore, their involvement in on-campus Greek life was, unfortunately, limited.

------------------
SilverTurtle@greekchat.com
Phi Beta Fraternity
Phi chapter