GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Alabama Rush and First Cuts: Predetermined? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=128625)

KyKKGviaFlorida 08-02-2012 08:51 PM

Alabama Rush and First Cuts: Predetermined?
 
Hello all,

I have a dear friend who will be going through rush in a couple of weeks at the University of Alabama. We made sure that she has 1-2 recs for each house as numerous sites have suggested.

I was wondering about the first round of cuts. I have heard through the grapevine that due to the large number of PNM's going through, that the first round of cuts are largely based on recs, legacies, and GPA. Can anyone confirm or deny this? If true, this is quite different than my experience at University of Kentucky. Of course, UK is nowhere as competitive as UA, but each girl who came through did get a "vote" after each round. So while there was some initial weeding of PNM's for GPA issues and some early "rush crushes" for legacies or superstar recs that were highlighted during work week, there was no pre determination of who would asked back for the first invitational round. If I understand my sources correctly, most houses at Alabama will have already compiled a list of who would be asked back to the first invitational round before open house parties start, with a small amount of exceptions.

Any insight you all could provide would be greatly appreciated!!!

Greek_or_Geek? 08-02-2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyKKGviaFlorida (Post 2163741)
Hello all,

I have a dear friend who will be going through rush in a couple of weeks at the University of Alabama. We made sure that she has 1-2 recs for each house as numerous sites have suggested.

I was wondering about the first round of cuts. I have heard through the grapevine that due to the large number of PNM's going through, that the first round of cuts are largely based on recs, legacies, and GPA. Can anyone confirm or deny this? If true, this is quite different than my experience at University of Kentucky. Of course, UK is nowhere as competitive as UA, but each girl who came through did get a "vote" after each round. So while there was some initial weeding of PNM's for GPA issues and some early "rush crushes" for legacies or superstar recs that were highlighted during work week, there was no pre determination of who would asked back for the first invitational round. If I understand my sources correctly, most houses at Alabama will have already compiled a list of who would be asked back to the first invitational round before open house parties start, with a small amount of exceptions.

Any insight you all could provide would be greatly appreciated!!!

If you are indeed a sorority member then you will know that this is membership selection information and is not open for public discussion.

ladybug12 08-02-2012 09:09 PM

With many NPC groups on this campus having to release over 60% of PNM's the first round, you have to start somewhere. The areas of recs, legacies,and GPA will be important as well as the resume the PNM submits to ICS. You have to start somewhere.
I don't think I am sharing any secret membership selection information when I state this.
All of the NPC groups at Bama are outstanding and no PNM should have a problem joining any of them...but this is advise from an old alumna who has the "seasoning" to realize that on a campus this size, being Greek offers a special collegiate experience for everyone who chooses to join.

KyKKGviaFlorida 08-02-2012 09:10 PM

I'm indeed a sorority member, Greek-orGeek. In fact, I am attending my 10 ten year bid day reunion in a couple of weeks.

Perhaps I should have worded my question differently. How much weight is given to recs at alabama? I well aware that some chapters require a rec before giving a bid and I am aware that Alabama Panhellenic strongly suggests every PNM secure recs for every house. But my goodness, the chapters must be receiving hundreds if not thousands of recs every Fall. With those kind of numbers, are recs actually getting reviewed and considered by actives? During the middle of an already busy work week?

Cheerio 08-02-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greek_or_Geek? (Post 2163744)
If you are indeed a sorority member then you will know that this is membership selection information and is not open for public discussion.

Snap/Ditto.

alphapimommy 08-02-2012 09:48 PM

What I would share with you is this: Tell your dear sweet PNM not to focus on recs, legacy status or her GPA..Her GPA is what it is..each sorority has a particular GPA they accept and are looking for..worrying about it today is futile, recs are in (yep there are a lot of them..my DD gets the mail for her Bama sorority..yesterday she had two large mail containers full..they seem to be arriving late this year) and legacy status is well just that ..legacy status. What she SHOULD focus on is having great conversations and connections with women she meets. If she is relaxed and enjoying the process she will have a much more enjoyable recruitment. I will echo that all 16 house have wonderful qualities to share with PNMs who come with open hearts and minds. Your PNM should approach recruitment with the attitude of "what amazing opportunities will my party list provides today." If she dwells on the houses that have left her list and morns the losses it will be a very long week.

Titchou 08-02-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyKKGviaFlorida (Post 2163751)
I'm indeed a sorority member, Greek-orGeek. In fact, I am attending my 10 ten year bid day reunion in a couple of weeks.

Perhaps I should have worded my question differently. How much weight is given to recs at alabama? I well aware that some chapters require a rec before giving a bid and I am aware that Alabama Panhellenic strongly suggests every PNM secure recs for every house. But my goodness, the chapters must be receiving hundreds if not thousands of recs every Fall. With those kind of numbers, are recs actually getting reviewed and considered by actives? During the middle of an already busy work week?

If they weren't reviewed and considered, then why would everyone say they are required at Alabama? And what makes you think they wait to review them during work week? Sorry, Dorothy, you and Toto aren't in Kansas any more...I went thru at Alabama 48 years ago. Even then we didn't wait till work week to review them. That's done all spring and summer long.

alphapimommy 08-02-2012 09:59 PM

Tichou is correct..I was there during A-Day and recs and resumes as well as LOS (letters of support..which by the way are supposed to not be accepted by UA) were being reviewed.

KyKKGviaFlorida 08-02-2012 10:10 PM

Thank you all for the insight. Like I previously mentioned, I went to a school where recs were not "strongly suggested' and not the norm. I promise you that as an active, recs and referrals were not reviewed until the last few weeks before rush. But then again, we certainly did not have the volume of recs in the door like you ladies have in Alabama.

Titchou 08-02-2012 10:17 PM

It's been SOP here for decades. It's sort of like what my Cajun relatives say a Cajun boy will ask a Cajun girl when he meets her for the first time:

1) Can you make a roux (Cajun cooking begins with a good roux)
2) Can you speak French (most of his relatives probably don't speak English)
3) Who's your daddy (I need to know who your people are)

Your rec tells us that.

alphapimommy 08-02-2012 10:21 PM

oh my goodness I so agree..the question then becomes why PNMs don't understand this?

Titchou 08-02-2012 10:37 PM

Because they've never met a Cajun?

amIblue? 08-02-2012 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyKKGviaFlorida (Post 2163780)
Thank you all for the insight. Like I previously mentioned, I went to a school where recs were not "strongly suggested' and not the norm. I promise you that as an active, recs and referrals were not reviewed until the last few weeks before rush. But then again, we certainly did not have the volume of recs in the door like you ladies have in Alabama.

Seriously? Recs are not the norm at Kentucky? Wow. I never knew.

gee_ess 08-02-2012 11:57 PM

Without giving anything confidential away, it is safe to say that cuts after round one (SEC style) are usually based on very basic black/white criteria. Grades, recs, legacy stus, etc are all types of that criteria.

Lists before rush starts? Who knows what each group does specifically, but i feel pretty confident that the process of membersip selection takes place after each round ( read voting) where of course, there are unpredictable things that can happen.

Alabama is a rush machine. Your head would spin if you could see the elaborate and highly organized prep that goes on for a house to get ready for this rush.

Titchou 08-03-2012 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gee_ess (Post 2163835)
Alabama is a rush machine. Your head would spin if you could see the elaborate and highly organized prep that goes on for a house to get ready for this rush.

Oh yeah!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.