GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   UF Spring Recruitment!! (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=117604)

UFgatorLove 01-02-2011 10:48 PM

UF Spring Recruitment!!

Ladies, if you were thinking of doing Spring 2011, its coming up fast!! The Informational Session is on Jan 10th and you must sign up for it through the Panhellenic website for the school. Only at the Informational Session will you be able to hear from the all the sororities in council and find out who will be extending bids this spring. That's the basic info I have gathered for you ladies!! If you have more questions, ask away! I will be happy to find the answer for you!!

Pan Love!!! <3

UFgatorLove 01-02-2011 11:00 PM

Why did I post this?

Because the PR for our PC this Spring Recruitment has been a fail and I've seen a lot of girls who were released from our Fall mention wanting to do it. I'm not trying to spoon feed or force feed anyone, I just know that some girls may be curious. The link about it is basically THIS BIG on the PC website and that's it - and I don't think that's enough.... Sorry if it comes off odd to you. I'm also disaffiliated as a member of Panhellenic, so I am not force/spoon feeding for my chapter either.

DeltaBetaBaby 01-03-2011 04:57 AM

Don't apologize! You posted useful information in a location where PPNM's may have a chance to see it.

FSUZeta 01-03-2011 09:54 AM

thanks ufgatorlove for letting uf pnms know when panhellenic will be hosting the informational meeting on spring recruitment!

UFgatorLove 01-05-2011 01:21 PM

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._4333280_n.jpg

LucyKKG 01-06-2011 12:08 AM

Good luck!

AZTheta 01-06-2011 12:34 AM

UFgatorLove, great job on getting the word out. The poster looks really inviting and informative. Maybe you'll come back and let us know how spring recruitment goes (in the Panhellenic spirit, of course!)? Good luck to everyone at UF; it's encouraging to read about flourishing Greek systems.

UFgatorLove 01-06-2011 07:43 PM

I'll let you know as much as I know! I have found out that bidding will only be open for 2-3 days which is much shorter than it has been in the past. So, PPNMs, meeting women in the chapters in crucial and it needs to be done at either the information session or through any Panhellenic women you may already know!

I know some chapters are having a full bid day, as well. Which gives the girls a little more of the traditional recruitment! I find that very exciting for the Spring NM Class women!!

ggforever 01-06-2011 08:58 PM

Wait, so the houses have an open house on the 10th and have to extend bids by the 13th???? This seems awfully short. What if a women has several houses that are interested in her that she is also interested in visiting? Is the recruitment structured enough to allow them to get to see all the houses or are you thinking that most of the women are going to be women who were not able to bid match in the fall.

UFgatorLove 01-06-2011 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ggforever (Post 2017903)
Wait, so the houses have an open house on the 10th and have to extend bids by the 13th???? This seems awfully short. What if a women has several houses that are interested in her that she is also interested in visiting? Is the recruitment structured enough to allow them to get to see all the houses or are you thinking that most of the women are going to be women who were not able to bid match in the fall.

All houses will present at the Information Session on the 10th, like tabling. Then the women are are able to be bidded by multiple sororities or just one. The PNM will have the ability to visit the houses that bid her or that she is interested in (by invitation) and will choose a chapter to pledge by the end of the week (I believe, but they may have more time to think on their bid(s)).

Its fast, but our spring is always just a one-night event with COB-ing and open events at chapter discretion.

33girl 01-06-2011 10:55 PM

Also, if any chapters are under total, they are permitted to extend bids at ANY time throughout the school year (provided there isn't a colony on the campus).

Quote:

Then the women are are able to be bidded by multiple sororities or just one.
I think what you mean to say is "are offered bids." Being "bidded" implies they have signed a bid - which is an official binding agreement - and you can't do that for more than one group.

Is there going to be a quota that all sororities can take members, or are the only sororities offering bids the ones that are under total? In other words, even if all 16 chapters are there, only 5 of them might be extending bids.

UFgatorLove 01-07-2011 08:58 AM

Thank you for correcting that, I wasn't sure how to word it.
And, yes, we have a quota called "campus total" that UF thinks all sororities should be at to function properly and give enough PNMs a chance at receiving bids. So, any chapters with fewer that 161 members may extend bids. There are some that are under this number and do not because their nationals does not require that they do or they function adequately at a lower number. I completely understand this, but all 16 will have to present at the information session. I do not know if they will reveal which houses are extending bids or not at the event.

DeltaBetaBaby 01-07-2011 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UFgatorLove (Post 2018040)
And, yes, we have a quota called "campus total" that UF thinks all sororities should be at to function properly and give enough PNMs a chance at receiving bids. So, any chapters with fewer that 161 members may extend bids. There are some that are under this number and do not because their nationals does not require that they do or they function adequately at a lower number. I completely understand this, but all 16 will have to present at the information session. I do not know if they will reveal which houses are extending bids or not at the event.

Argh, this is terrible. Making all 16 present when they are not all extending bids is not fair to the chapters bidding or the PNMs.

agzg 01-07-2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UFgatorLove (Post 2018040)

Yeah, this is pretty awful. The only chapters who present should be those taking new members.

Also, we know what "total" means. ;)

carnation 01-07-2011 10:47 AM

I hope that Panhellenic will rethink having the sororities who aren't participating at the meeting. Several of you GCers might remember when on one campus, 2 sororities decided to co-host a COB event. I was surprised because I knew that one sorority had to be way above total; the other was struggling.

So they had their party and bids were extended later--only to the struggling group! Lots of angry PNMs were saying, "Hey! We didn't show up to be rushed by that group, we wanted the other one!" Few bids were accepted and even fewer stayed in the group...1 or 2, we heard.

No one in either group would talk about it but all anyone could figure out was that maybe someone in the much bigger group felt sorry for friends in the other one and agreed to co-host the party? Definitely, honesty is the best policy in informal recruitment.