GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Weird rush stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=11313)

KDwxgrrl 11-25-2004 07:51 PM

Ah yes, the girl that opened our fridge. Classic. The odd ones all come out for informal recruitment... we had girls walk in with shopping bags from Target, put them down at the door, eat some of our food and talk to sisters, then picked up their bags and left... for their rooms upstairs (our CRs are on the first floor of a mixed sorority and independent dorm). They were never seen from again.

AlphaXi331 11-25-2004 09:29 PM

Our house has what you would call a "groupie" or even a stalker, hehe. I received my bid through fall informal recruitment last year, and I remember seeing this girl at all 3 events who weirded me out pretty bad. She made really off-hand comments and would stare blankly for long periods of time. Anyways, I wasn't sure if she was a sister or not and was relieved when I found out she wasn't.

A couple weeks after I got my bid, I came back to my dorm late at night wearing my block letter sweatshirt. As soon as the elevator door opens, I see the same weird girl standing there just playing the guitar. When she saw my letters, her jaw dropped and she yells "You're an AZD?!! I LOVE AZD!!! But they didn't give ME a bid for some reason...." Her eyes started to well up and she proceeded to tell me she was just gonna ride up and down the elevator all night playing her guitar. Once again, I was really weirded out.

Winter quarter she showed up for all 3 informal recruitment events, wasn't given a bid, and returned in spring, still not receiveing a bid. Finally someone asked who it was who kept inviting her back to all the events. Turns out, nobody had ever invited her, she had just somehow found out and invited herself. This fall she showed up AGAIN, and a lotta sisters who have classes with her say that she has AZD stationary, pencils, and pens she bought from the bookstore. I think she was offered a bid to a local sorority on campus, but turned it down in the hopes of one day being an AZD. Needless to say, she's a creeeepy girl...

ct504 11-26-2004 03:35 AM

I went through rush last spring and thought I was doing really well until one skit party. We were sitting on the floor watching the skit and my foot fell asleep, and I was completely unaware that I accidently kicked over my drink. The girl I was talking to was just like umm...I'll get some napkins. Once I realized that there was pink soda all over the floor I felt horrible and tried to help her clean it up, but at that point the skit had ended and a floater picked me up so the other girl could clean up my mess. Luckily we all laughed about it and even though I didnt join that sorority it is definatly one of my favorite rush memories.

LionTamer 11-29-2004 10:04 AM

When one of my best friends, Gina, was a freshman, she sat down for her first math tutorial at our 35,000+ student university (we had class in a huge auditorium, and then tutorials in small classrooms). The TA started calling roll, and when he came to one of the names, the girl next to her, who Gina had never laid eyes on before, grabbed her arm, and started freaking out. She was obviously upset that the guy was in the same class, proceded to tell Gina, in excruciatinlgy detail, all about this guy and their bizarre on-and-off relationship.

That evening, bids from formal rush were being given out, and she walked into the suite for the first time, and there's the crazy girl from math class, obviously part of the same new member class. Sixteen large sororities, and she ends up with the nutcase.

Gina claims she seriously considered turning around and leaving, but didn't.

I'm glad we didn't, because all these years later, we're still friends, in spite of our bizarre first meeting. (I normally don't seize onto total strangers and spill my life story, but this guy had a bad effect on me.....)

HotDamnImAPhiMu 11-29-2004 10:15 AM

Hahahaha! That's AWESOME. Good job telling the story, too. :D

dphies00 12-12-2004 11:55 AM

My junior year, during formal fall recruitment, this girl was part of the last group of the last night of the first round of recruitment. She was drunk! Now this was the last twenty minute party of a five hour night! And she was still totally bombed - I feel bad for the first party she was at. She was laying all over our couch, hitting other rushees with her hands when talking and slurring her words. But, she did mention that she was the younger sister of one of the most popular fraternity presidents and an IFC board member.

She got cut from every house and her brother never brought her up when talking to any sorority woman as far as I know.

The same rush, there was a Hooters waitress. A really sweet girl, but started her conversation with every sister, "You know, I work at Hooters."

And for pref night, when I rushed, I got in an agrument with the Panhel Recruitment Chair about suiciding the house I eventually joined. I had four other pref letters and I said I was not wasting my time if ABC did not bid me b/c I was not joining another house. The Recrutiment chair was our VP Programming. She agrued with me for a good 20 minutes as there was another catty sister in the room whose Pref invite I was turning down, so she was listening for a infraction, and our Greek advisor was there also. Good thing it all worked out.

nongreekloser 12-12-2004 10:45 PM

God, now I wonder about all the nasty things that were said behind my back...

sugar and spice 12-12-2004 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by nongreekloser
God, now I wonder about all the nasty things that were said behind my back...
Probably tons, if, you know, you sniffed glue at a party or climbed out the bathroom window.

nongreekloser 12-12-2004 10:48 PM

I didn't do anything weird or wrong, just got cut from every house. i'm not a weirdo, apparently just a loser who was good enough to get a bid.

KSUViolet06 12-12-2004 11:05 PM

Quote:

I didn't do anything weird or wrong, just got cut from every house. i'm not a weirdo, apparently just a loser who was good enough to get a bid.

You know what hun, if you had that same negative "woe is me I'm a loser" attitude going through rush, no wonder you didn't. :rolleyes:

kddani 12-12-2004 11:06 PM

they're just a troll trying to start isht...

nongreekloser 12-12-2004 11:07 PM

No, I had very positive attitude, and used to be a very happy, outgoing, genuine, and positive person.

Apparently I was aloser and didn't know it.

sugar and spice 12-12-2004 11:11 PM

Quote:

No, I had very positive attitude, and used to be a very happy, outgoing, genuine, and positive person.

Here's the more important question: were you sweet and cute?

nongreekloser 12-12-2004 11:13 PM

I am a sweet person. Dunno if I'm "cute" I dressed nice. Maybe I was judged by my appearance you mean?

nongreekloser 12-12-2004 11:15 PM

because I rushed in the spring and got cut by all 11 housese. i got COB'd by one house and didn't get a bid. Wasn't allowed to be a memeber of a new colony. Rushed again in the fall and didn't get one ivite after the first day.

ADPiZXalum 12-12-2004 11:40 PM

Quote:

What is it with you and this whole being a loser thing? YOu know, if you tell other people that you're a loser long enough, they will start to believe you.

adpiucf 12-13-2004 10:40 AM

You might want to talk with a school counselor if your depression continues. Rejection can be tough, and especially rejection from other women. College-age is about the time that many mental illnesses begin to show up, and they are treatable. If your mood is persistent, please do get help. It could be for the best you didn't take a bid in recruitment, as you need to focus on getting better and developing a stronger sense of self. Meanwhile, remember that school is a top priority! Surround yourself with friends and family and get involved on campus! There are dozens of fun activities and clubs!

epsilon99 12-13-2004 11:54 AM

The selection process can be very finicky. Although I know you are upset I would not take it personally. It is a flawed process.

m0rgan 12-31-2004 05:11 AM

nongreekloser

Where did you come from, nongreekloser? What is your story? I've read through your twelve posts and they're so depressing.

"Doesn't matter, you'll still get cut even if you tell the truth."

"God, now I wonder about all the nasty things that were said behind my back..."

"I guess if it this holds true, then I'm right-I'm not good enough to be greek and I'm not meant to be. Therefore, I'm not in a sorority."

Surely you have other things going for you? Family, school, friends, religion, clubs and other organizations?

33girl 12-31-2004 10:26 AM

nongreekloser was a troll of the sort we get here often. We tried to help her but she obviously didn't want help - unless we could have told her how to force a sorority to take her. She went away, and no one is very upset.

KDwxgrrl 01-04-2005 01:40 PM

Getting this fabulous thread back on topic...

We're on break right now from open house day, and I had to throw this up there. Group of sisters and PNM having a relatively normal conversation, when this girl says "So I've heard that if you get a bid, then you have to prove your worth. So let's say I pledge KD, if I get a bid, how do I prove my worthiness?" And the girls all look at each other like "WHAT?" And one sister goes "Um, that's hazing, no." And another says "Um, if you get a bid it means you are worthy."

I heart Recruitment!

lyrica9 01-11-2005 08:02 AM

i thought for sure i had already posted this, but i guess not...

this past fall we had a very overly enthusiastic girl on second day that was sitting at my table. she was really bubbly and loud, to the extent that i thought she was somewhat pretending at times, but oh no, she was not.
she kept punching my arm, which was weird, but the disorienting part was when we were talking about shoes, and i commented on how i liked that mine added 3 inches to my height since im 4'11".

then when i stood up she shouted "oh my god you are just the cutest thing ever!" and grabbed me in a bone crushing hug. i didn't know how to react at all. she was a real sweetheart.. just kind of socially inept.

LightBulb 01-12-2005 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by lyrica9
...and i commented on how i liked that mine added 3 inches to my height since im 4'11".

then when i stood up she shouted "oh my god you are just the cutest thing ever!" and grabbed me in a bone crushing hug. i didn't know how to react at all...

My big sis is 4'10", and people say that to her all the time! lol

I think it bugs her at times.

IrishPhiSig 01-16-2005 06:15 AM

on my first time at a COB event on "the other side", there was a girl there who desperately wanted to be in a sorority. ANY sorority. Apparently, she was cut by all the houses during formal recruitment and made up a story about how her boyfriend was in the hospital or something but then it changed to the fact that she disinterested...I don't even know. I know she had two stories of why she dropped out of rush.

So at our COB event, she went around and made a point to talk to every single sister with a fake smile and kind of guided the conversation. If we mentioned we were interested in something or were majoring in something, SHE was interested in it too. Then when we asked her about herself, she started talking about her love for Jesus and how she only reads Christian novels and her faith is the center of her life and yadda yadda. I mean, that's cool, mad props to her...but our sorority is all about diversity and I felt like she was trying to convert me! Especially since our sorority has a few Jewish girls and was founded because founders were both Christian and Jewish and wanted an organization they all could be apart of.

We did not give her a bid.

And nongreekloser, you are NOT a loser. It happens. Some girls either don't fit in any house on campus and would at another campus, or the sisters just didn't get to know you well enough. I got a bid from my 2nd choice sorority. On the first night when we ranked, I ranked XYZ sorority as 2nd and they cut me. Before pref night, I preffed ABC sorority 1st and Phi Sig 2nd and they cut me...and I was left totally confused because I thought they really liked me. It happens....and it sucks. But you're not a loser! Maybe the sorority thing is cutthroat at your school?

RUASTgrrl 01-28-2005 12:47 PM

There has GOT to be some good stories from this semester.....

chideltjen 01-28-2005 01:21 PM

I've been an alumna for quite some time but I still go to recruitment to help out once in a while.

I've seen girls that are WAY overly enthusiastic to the point where they think they will get a bid to the girls who show up, back themselves into a small corner and refuse to talk to anyone.

We do COB like events for a week after Fall Formal Recruitment is over. Generally the girls who don't go thru formal, didn't like the start of formal recruitment and dropped or got cut first round filter into our recruitment. (Not always the case but it happens.)

I guess last fall there was one girl who was soooooo over confident that she was going to get a bid. She was friends with so and so and just decided that she was already part of the sisterhood on the first day of rush. She was cut.

I think the greatest rush story I have is one from a couple years ago. It's kinda complicated. So a girl that was in an NPC sorority transferred from one school to the next. Her sorority was at our campus, but she didn't like the chapter here (based on a rumor that some fraternity guy told her... I don't think she bothered to check out the chapter itself.) So she rushed us. This girl wanted to know EVERYTHING about us. And since she had been initiated to her NPC, she knew what happened on the last day of COB. So the last night of rush, she asks one of the sisters as we are ushering everyone out so we can vote: "So is this the part where you talk $hit about us all?" :eek: I told the girls not to let this girl in because my roommate/sister had seen her in another club on campus and said she was a little twisted. But my house wasn't too smart and they gave her a bid... only to retract it later. (Apparently this one chick caused a WHOLE lotta drama within the first WEEK of being a new member.) So after they depledged her, she threatened to go to the newspaper and say how HORRIBLE we were. Yes, we probably went about this all wrong, but it was a lapse of judgement. I still shake my head at the fact.

Fast forward 2 years. I started going to the Newman Center near campus. I was going thru the photo gallery. In one of the pictures was HER! It was the spring before she rushed. I asked my boyfriend about her. He just shook his head. He's all: During that retreat, she had a little too much to drink and all HELL broke lose. He said she (and this guy she was talking to) was the reason they no longer allow alcohol on retreats. This girl was everywhere. I don't know what she's doing now, but I hope she's well... maybe.

RUASTgrrl 01-31-2005 02:46 PM

So I visited a nearby chapter to help out during recruitment. During the open house parties, the potential new members were given foam cutouts in various colors as part of our activity. Not only did 2 PNMs come to our party chewing gum so obnoxiously I thought they'd gnaw their faces off, but one of the girls, appearantly realizing her faux pas, stuck her gum in the foam cutout she had been given. We were reusing them for every party, and it was super gross to find that little treat right before the next party. Moral of the story....gum should only be chewed for oral hygene in your room in the dark.

SigEpSam 02-02-2005 06:16 AM

Killer Rush

About 4 years ago The two top houses at my school ( us and Sigma Chi) gave a bid to this good looking kid with a 3.8 high school Gpa. He never came to pick up his bid. Turns out he killed his girlfriend two days before bid day. He came to both of our events after he killed her. I like to think that he would have gone Sigma Chi. lol

hunnie843 02-02-2005 12:27 PM

Uhh, ok then!

lspegele 02-03-2005 04:14 AM

We had this one guy who was going to associate with us or not associate at all. He's a cool guy and we gave him a bid but he wasn't sure if he was a fraternity kind of guy. At the end of rush week he decided to accept and he was walking across the road on the phone to tell his parents the news. While on the phone he was hit by a scooter knocking him back several feet and sending the guy on the scooter flying. Everyone turned out ok but we all gave him the nickname "Scooter."

MoxieGrrl 02-08-2005 10:19 AM

Re: Killer Rush

Quote:

Originally posted by SigEpSam
About 4 years ago The two top houses at my school ( us and Sigma Chi) gave a bid to this good looking kid with a 3.8 high school Gpa. He never came to pick up his bid. Turns out he killed his girlfriend two days before bid day. He came to both of our events after he killed her. I like to think that he would have gone Sigma Chi. lol
Holy hell. That might be the creepiest rush story ever.

kddani 02-08-2005 10:20 AM

Re: Re: Killer Rush

Quote:

Originally posted by MoxieGrrl
Holy hell. That might be the creepiest rush story ever.
hijack
HEY STRANGER :)
Nice to see you around!
/hijack

KSUViolet06 02-09-2005 08:20 PM

My chapter of the Kappa Phi Club just recently had its spring contact meeting for interested women. We're a Christian service club, so we're open membership, but the meeting just gives women a chance to see what we're about.

So for the meeting, we decide to make and eat our own "dirt pudding", which is just chocolate pudding with crushed Oreos in it. We had to crush our own Oreos in plastic sandwich bags. I started to crush mine, and the bag broke! There were crumbs everywhere. It was quite embarrassing.

CutiePie2000 02-09-2005 08:29 PM

Quote:

Good looking? Sounds like a Robert Chambers'esque story. EEK!

Darlinglilred 02-10-2005 12:55 AM

It's not a very funny story but I thought I would share my experience of rushing with you all.
I rushed in the spring of 2003 Phi Sig, I loved the girls, loved what they did and was so excited when I recieved an invite to informal recruitment's version of a pref party. However Pref Night was also the night of my 19th birthday. I was scheduled to have dinner with my parents around 5 and then go to the party at 7. Unfortunately dinner was running late so I asked my dad to drive me back to the school because I wanted in so badly and I was scared that I would offend the girls if I didn't show up on time.
Needless to say luck was not with me, as we were going through an intersection a car ran a red and tboned the car in front of us which we then skidded into a culvert to avoid hitting. By the time I got back to the school, with my nice outfit ripped and my knee and arm all cut up, the girls had already left for the pref location. I tried calling the recruitment councillor but obviously she had her cellphone off so I walked all around campus attempting to find them with blood on my leg and bawling my eyes out.
Needless to say I didn't get a bid, but after i explained what had happened they invited me out to another event so everyone could talk to me again and then I was COB'd 2 weeks after the rest of the class.
If that wasn't enough of a story the next year Pref party once again fell on my birthday. The girls had decided that after pref we would all go out for dinner and then to a club. Dinner was great, although I think the restaurant hated having to serve 30 girls in the middle of the supper rush, but on the way home from the bar our driver, who was in a fraternity and was our DD, hit a patch of black ice and we skidded into the over pass and partly over it. We were about to get out of the car in case it slipped even further over, when a cop car hit the same patch of ice and almost slammed into us.

Moral of these stories?
Rush and My Birthday are NEVER EVER good combos!

KSUViolet06 03-03-2005 07:09 PM

We just started trying small group events for COR where a girl meets first with a group of no more than 3 sisters for coffee, lunch, or something like that. After that, they may come to the house for a large group COR with the entire chapter and other PNM's.

Anyway, so 3 of my sisters picked a PNM up for lunch. On the way, one of my sisters' realizes that she needs her wallet which is back at her house. So they take a quick detour to the sister's house to get it. They get there, and the sister says she needs to make some phone calls. She says it's going to take awhile and invites the PNM and the other sisters in for a minute.

Well, the sister had recently rearranged some things in her house and decorated, so the sisters were looking around and complimenting her new curtains, living room furniture, etc. The PNM was checking things out too. So a sister was looking around and said, "Wow, Kate I LOVE this table."

The same sister was like, "Hey PNM, look at this table." It was totally glass, so it was pretty interesting. The PNM says, "This table is pretty gay." They kinda tried to laugh it off. Then she continues, "I hope your sorority house isn't like this. This looks like a freaking halfway house."
:rolleyes:

They were pretty speechless.

carnation 06-26-2005 03:13 PM

Bump to hear more weird rush stories!

Tom Earp 06-26-2005 03:32 PM

CARNATION, are You a Glutton? Or, You Are a Glutton!;)

Oh, My Southern Lady, Had to give a S*it and Grin for the *Bump*!

Who Loves Ya Baby?:cool:

dukedg 06-26-2005 06:20 PM

Okay, I have some good ones (including a man story that I'll post later).

One time I picked up a legacy at the door. She was sort of odd, but her mom was not only a DG, but chapter president when she was in college. Anyway, I'm pretty good at chatting with people and I noticed she was carrying a pretty thick book (don't remember which one) so I asked if she was reading it between parties. She looks at me like I'm crazy and says she reads it AT parties when she thinks the members she is talking to suck. I want to clarify how odd this was because she wasn't conceited, more like nerdy and didn't want to waste her time talking when she could be reading. I thought it was rude and couldn't imagine her doing it, but moved on and we talked about something else. Later on during that same party another girl in my chapter was talking to her and I look over and she'd pulled out the book!!!

She read the book the rest of the time. Needless to say, her mom was not pleased when we released her. But honestly, couldn't your mom give you some advice on recruitment before you go through?!? She did get a bid from another chapter (not one of the most competitive). I don't know if she read the book there though...

starryeyed 06-26-2005 06:59 PM

Quote:

HOW SCARY!