GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Weird rush stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=11313)

33girl 08-13-2009 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by born2bdphie (Post 1835172)
sometimes I think we should be allowed to go off campus and actually DO something with rushes for our philanthropy other than put glitter on pillow cases.

I concur. I think a Habitat for Humanity thing involving all the sororities working together would be far more beneficial.

/tangent

LOL at the transgender, but that same type situation happens with lots of different groups. "You cut me just because I'm ____!" No, we cut you because you had a terrible personality. Jerkiness is an equal opportunity employer.

perfectinpurple 08-13-2009 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 1835175)
I concur. I think a Habitat for Humanity thing involving all the sororities working together would be far more beneficial.

/tangent

LOL at the transgender, but that same type situation happens with lots of different groups. "You cut me just because I'm ____!" No, we cut you because you had a terrible personality. Jerkiness is an equal opportunity employer.

Haha, I love this!

MysticCat 08-13-2009 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gogreek2009 (Post 1835084)
Last fall, I was rushing a girl during 2nd rounds (our philanthropy rounds where we all do a craft activity for our philanthropy). She was pretty quiet and wouldn't open up to me, but finally I got her talking a tad bit. A few minutes later she looked at me and said, "I'm going to be completely honest but I think you have the stupidest philanthropy ever and this craft we are doing is something a five year old should do." I was completely appalled!

Quote:

Originally Posted by born2bdphie (Post 1835172)
sometimes I think we should be allowed to go off campus and actually DO something with rushes for our philanthropy other than put glitter on pillow cases.

Could someone explain to this guy (not transgendered) who never participated in NPC rush ('cause that's what it was many years ago when I was in college) why crafts are done on philanthropy night? I mean, I have a feeling I'd be thinking the same thing as gogreek2009's PNM. I hope I wouldn't say it, but I bet I'd be thinking it.

So what's the idea behind it?

AZ-AlphaXi 08-13-2009 04:13 PM

The original idea was to involve the PNMs with the chapter members in something meaningful and of use to the chapter's philanthropy. However, the problem in execution has become that its hard to comeup with something useful, that is easy to make, can be made expertly with minimal instruction, can be made while holding a conversation, and is of real use to the philanthropy.

Again, something that looked good on paper .. creating something for the philanthropy .. but not so good in practice.

Kansas City 08-13-2009 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 1835175)

/tangent

I've heard of some universities that, instead of an all Greek meet-and-greet/BBQ/info session, etc. participate in a community philanthropy project where the PNMs can come and participate while meeting Greek members and learn about their organizations while working for the philanthropy. It sounds like a great idea that I'd like to see happen at my university.

AlphaFrog 08-13-2009 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovespink88 (Post 1835170)
t and we had this cocky young male model. I immediately could tell I wouldn't like him. He was extremely full of himself the whole time, and at the end of the shoot he asks, "So like, besides costumes and stuff, do people actually buy this stuff?" Jerk!

That sounds like a faux pas that they would do on ANTM and then get bitched out in judging about pissing off clients.

lovespink88 08-13-2009 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaFrog (Post 1835236)
That sounds like a faux pas that they would do on ANTM and then get bitched out in judging about pissing off clients.

Haha, that's actually what I thought of when it happened!

aephi alum 08-14-2009 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gogreek2009 (Post 1835084)
Last fall, I was rushing a girl during 2nd rounds (our philanthropy rounds where we all do a craft activity for our philanthropy). She was pretty quiet and wouldn't open up to me, but finally I got her talking a tad bit. A few minutes later she looked at me and said, "I'm going to be completely honest but I think you have the stupidest philanthropy ever and this craft we are doing is something a five year old should do." I was completely appalled!

You have got to be kidding me.

A PNM is a guest in the sorority's house. (Doesn't matter if the recruitment party is actually in the chapter's house, in a function room or classroom on campus, or anywhere else.) When you're a guest in a family member's or friend's house, it's the height of rudeness to say to your host, "Oh, these hors d'oeuvres suck, did your five-year-old kid make them?" or "Ewww, why did you decorate your living room in bright orange with purple trim?" Same with recruitment - it's the height of rudeness to say to a sister, "Your decor sucks!" or "Ugh, your rush t-shirts are fugly!" or "This is a stupid craft." If you don't like it, bite your tongue and get through the party. If you can't do that, maybe you should rethink whether sorority membership is for you.

AlphaXi_Husky 08-14-2009 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MysticCat (Post 1835210)
Could someone explain to this guy (not transgendered) who never participated in NPC rush ('cause that's what it was many years ago when I was in college) why crafts are done on philanthropy night? I mean, I have a feeling I'd be thinking the same thing as gogreek2009's PNM. I hope I wouldn't say it, but I bet I'd be thinking it.

So what's the idea behind it?

In addition to what 33girl and AZ-AlphaXi said, I think another reason the philanthropy round was created was to get away from "frills". At my alma mater it replaced what was skit round. While I don't think the women mind not practicing forever on a skit, it is a big ole PITA to find a philanthropy project that's cheap and yet needed by an organization in mass quantities.

gogreek2009 08-14-2009 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WVU alpha phi (Post 1835153)
Please tell me you cut her that night. Who would actually say that?!

Actually, I don't think she was. I'm pretty sure she made it to pref rounds (how she did - I have NO idea) but I never did see her at any of the sororities on bid day - so I'm assuming she was cut after prefs.

Also, I agree with thinking the same thing about it being too much during pref rounds - I did too. I was sick of coloring or putting glitter glue on pillowcases. But I wouldn't have ever stated that out loud. Each girl is entitled to her own opinion, but I think that was just overkill.

I was offended the most when she said our philanthropy was 'stupid'. We as sorority women all hold our philanthropies close to our heart, so it's like a slap in the face when someone says that. At least I think so. :rolleyes:

AOEforme 08-14-2009 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aephi alum (Post 1835360)
You have got to be kidding me.

A PNM is a guest in the sorority's house. (Doesn't matter if the recruitment party is actually in the chapter's house, in a function room or classroom on campus, or anywhere else.) When you're a guest in a family member's or friend's house, it's the height of rudeness to say to your host, "Oh, these hors d'oeuvres suck, did your five-year-old kid make them?" or "Ewww, why did you decorate your living room in bright orange with purple trim?" Same with recruitment - it's the height of rudeness to say to a sister, "Your decor sucks!" or "Ugh, your rush t-shirts are fugly!" or "This is a stupid craft." If you don't like it, bite your tongue and get through the party. If you can't do that, maybe you should rethink whether sorority membership is for you.

My friend's roommate went through recruitment and stepped into Pref Party at a house and declared... "UGH! It smells like FISH in here." (When she came back and told us that, my jaw dropped and I figured she was done!)

...And she got a bid and accepted it!

naraht 08-14-2009 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AOEforme (Post 1835413)
My friend's roommate went through recruitment and stepped into Pref Party at a house and declared... "UGH! It smells like FISH in here." (When she came back and told us that, my jaw dropped and I figured she was done!)

...And she got a bid and accepted it!

To that sorority?

AOEforme 08-14-2009 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naraht (Post 1835511)
To that sorority?

Yup. She had been (from what she told my friend and I) pleasant and polite the rest of the week. It's just that comment was incredibly rude and something that I would generally see a girl getting cut for, especially when it's the first thing you say to your rusher as you enter the house for pref.

She must have really made up for it later!

PeppyGPhiB 08-14-2009 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 1835166)
Yeah, I think overall that the philanthropy round is a classic case of "it sounded really good on paper" but that hasn't quite translated in the fashion it was supposed to. I doubt that many of the rushees leave the parties wanting to know more or get involved with the philanthropy...and the charities are left with tons and tons of glittery bookmarks.

Yes. I would rather that chapters showed a video about their philanthropy or talked about it, or even had someone from the organization they support there to say something. Fill the rest of the time with normal chit-chat as in the other days of recruitment.

MysticCat 08-14-2009 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ-AlphaXi (Post 1835213)
The original idea was to involve the PNMs with the chapter members in something meaningful and of use to the chapter's philanthropy. However, the problem in execution has become that its hard to comeup with something useful, that is easy to make, can be made expertly with minimal instruction, can be made while holding a conversation, and is of real use to the philanthropy.

Again, something that looked good on paper .. creating something for the philanthropy .. but not so good in practice.

Thanks to everyone for the explanation. I can say I learned something on GC today. :D

I imagine everyone in a national/international organization has some experience with the "looked good on paper" phenomenon. I would think if I were a PNM/rushee, what I'd be interested in philanthropy-wise is why this GLO chose this philanthropy, how the GLO supports the philanthropy nationally, how the chapter supports the philanthropy (or, "what would I be expected to do"), and maybe what it has meant to one or two chapter members to be connected to the philanthropy.

pplforever 08-16-2009 11:54 PM

I went through rush last year as a pnm. we have formal rush during 2nd semester, so it is extremely cold (one day it felt like below zero). To make matters worse, the houses are all pretty spread apart. To accomodate, girls would generally bring comfy shoes such as uggs to wear while walking to the next house. When we get to the house we are supposed to be at, the rho gammas give us a 5 minute warning and we all change into our nice clothes. Well, I was standing outside my designated house and the rho gammas gave us their 5 minute call when I hear a girl behind me yell "oh shit". turns out she left her heels at another house (which was too far away to get the heels in time) and would have to go to this house in a nice formal dress and pink fuzzy slippers. The rho gammas just told her it was a conversation starter.

At my friends school its the same deal (rush is 2nd semester, its cold, people wear uggs in between houses). Well she had finished up at her party and came outside to put on her uggs when lo and behold, someone pooped in her uggs! I still cant fathom how it could have happened

KSUViolet06 08-17-2009 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pplforever (Post 1836311)

At my friends school its the same deal (rush is 2nd semester, its cold, people wear uggs in between houses). Well she had finished up at her party and came outside to put on her uggs when lo and behold, someone pooped in her uggs! I still cant fathom how it could have happened

Oh. My. Word.

TSteven 08-17-2009 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB (Post 1835544)
Yes. I would rather that chapters showed a video about their philanthropy or talked about it, or even had someone from the organization they support there to say something. Fill the rest of the time with normal chit-chat as in the other days of recruitment.

General hijack questions.

Under current NPC recruitment rules, is that possible? As in have a non sorority member (if no member was part of the organization) there to talk? Or even if they were a member of the sorority and part of the organization, I would guess they might be an alumnae. Again, I thought that the NPC did not allow alumnae to directly recruit. So would having an alumnae talk (either in person or on tape) about the sorority's philanthropy be considered participating in the recruiting process?

Personally, I think it would be a great idea to allow it. Perhaps if it isn't now, then something the NPC might consider down the line.

One other issue regarding philanthropy round. Regarding videos, if there is a narrative, who is allowed to do the voice over? Is it restricted to current members? Or may alumnae - either from the current or other chapters - allowed to narrate it? Can a non member do the voice over? Also, do any of the NPCs HQs produce a video that in turn may be distributed to any of their chapters for use during recruitment?

End of hijack questions.

BabyPiNK_FL 08-17-2009 06:23 PM

I don't think she meant talking to the girls personally, but making a presentation about the philanthropy and perhaps taking a few questions afterward. I'm certain this is allowed at my campus because my chapter was going to do it, but the representative was unable to make it at the last minute.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSteven (Post 1836487)
General hijack questions.

Under current NPC recruitment rules, is that possible? As in have a non sorority member (if no member was part of the organization) there to talk? Or even if they were a member of the sorority and part of the organization, I would guess they might be an alumnae. Again, I thought that the NPC did not allow alumnae to directly recruit. So would having an alumnae talk (either in person or on tape) about the sorority's philanthropy be considered participating in the recruiting process?

Personally, I think it would be a great idea to allow it. Perhaps if it isn't now, then something the NPC might consider down the line.

One other issue regarding philanthropy round. Regarding videos, if there is a narrative, who is allowed to do the voice over? Is it restricted to current members? Or may alumnae - either from the current or other chapters - allowed to narrate it? Can a non member do the voice over? Also, do any of the NPCs HQs produce a video that in turn may be distributed to any of their chapters for use during recruitment?

End of hijack questions.

TSteven 08-17-2009 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BabyPiNK_FL (Post 1836579)
I don't think she meant talking to the girls personally, but making a presentation about the philanthropy and perhaps taking a few questions afterward. I'm certain this is allowed at my campus because my chapter was going to do it, but the representative was unable to make it at the last minute.

Good to know. Thanks.

And to be clear, I did not mean talk *with* the girls, but talk *at* them. As in what you suggested (presentation and perhaps some questions).

Given all the restrictions and regulations that govern NPC recruitment - and the whole "no frills concept" - I could see where the NPC might not allow it.

33girl 08-17-2009 08:08 PM

NPC doesn't disallow alums to directly recruit - that is up to the chapter/sorority/school. We had a recolonization attempt at my alma mater where the chapter alums had parties the same as all the other groups rushing.

You might have to disclose the cost of a video if you have it specially made for your chapters, but if James Earl Jones wants to narrate it for free, I don't think that would be a problem. After all, the people being helped by the philanthropy who are in the video aren't members either.

UGAalum94 08-17-2009 08:38 PM

I'll be the jerk.

I think it's a little goofy to emphasize philanthropy at campuses that have a rather lackadaisical approach to philanthropy during the year.

If your chapter isn't spending a 1/4 of its time overall on philanthropy projects, why make it a 1/4 of rush?

It just seems lame to me because it's so clearly image over substance.

Low C Sharp 08-17-2009 09:21 PM

Some of the FSU rush videos available on Youtube have attractive young men in them, talking about how great the XYZs are.

That seems to violate the spirit of the no-men-at-rush rule, if not the letter.
________

KDpeanut 08-17-2009 11:11 PM

This isn't really a rush story, but when I was an active we had an active sister who was 32. Wierd.

33girl 08-17-2009 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDpeanut (Post 1836705)
This isn't really a rush story, but when I was an active we had an active sister who was 32. Wierd.

Ummm, your chapter must not have thought it was too WEIRD or they wouldn't have given her a bid.

BabyPiNK_FL 08-17-2009 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UGAalum94 (Post 1836649)
I think it's a little goofy to emphasize philanthropy at campuses that have a rather lackadaisical approach to philanthropy during the year.

If your chapter isn't spending a 1/4 of its time overall on philanthropy projects, why make it a 1/4 of rush?

It just seems lame to me because it's so clearly image over substance.

You're no jerk. I totally agree. My chapter is probably #1 in philanthropy events and donations on my campus, while some of the other chapters barely do anything, either way philanthropy night tends to be a bit boring for PNMs. They may SAY they like it, but only b/c Panhellenic does emphasize it and the chapters too because it's supposed to be an appealing aspect. However, I tend to think most PNMs' main focus lies elsewhere (ex. looks, popularity, the "fun" chapter), at least on my campus. I do wish we could think of something that's not skits or philanthropy to replace that day with.

In response to the woman who thought it was weird to have a 30 year old: my "auntie" (my big's sibling) was about 30 when she pledged, with a tween daughter. It would be less likely to happen now than it was back then, but she was and still is an amazing sister and I am so happy that she is! :)

phimusam 08-18-2009 04:28 PM

When I was a collegiate, we had a young widow come through rush - her husband had been an Air Force pilot. She was a real lady and we really wanted her, but she decided not to pledge.

Zillini 08-18-2009 06:10 PM

We had a PNM who told our active "This is a big waste of time. I'm going to be an XYZ. Can I just go outside and wait until the party is over?" Needless to say we released her. I looked her up and she did get a bid, but not to XYZ. Guess she didn't say that to all the other Chapters.

born2bdphie 08-19-2009 05:20 PM

I forgot about this one-- i was a weird pnm once! When i was COBing DPhiE I showed up an hour and a half early to the second party of the week because I mixed up the times. When I got to the house the door was locked and no one was around. I kinda hung around outside in the middle of the greek lawn for a bit, until a sister came home from class and asked me what i was doing there. When they realized I was rushing, they kind of freaked out, because obviously nothing was ready yet. I felt so bad i even offered to help them set up decorations... they must of thought I was so strange.... yet here I am!:rolleyes:

Jill1228 08-20-2009 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zillini (Post 1837023)
We had a PNM who told our active "This is a big waste of time. I'm going to be an XYZ. Can I just go outside and wait until the party is over?" Needless to say we released her. I looked her up and she did get a bid, but not to XYZ. Guess she didn't say that to all the other Chapters.

Y'all had restraint! I would have told her not to let the door hit her in her rude pretentious ass on the way out! What a biatch!

AOEforme 08-26-2009 03:11 PM

Not really a recruitment story, but it does help to reiterate the "Be Discrete" idea:

Some dorms in Madison opened yesterday so the incoming freshmen are beginning to move in... and enjoy their freedom from Mom and Dad.

As I was leaving my house, I ran into some XYZ friends in front of their chapter house. As we're chatting, a very (very) intoxicated young lady runs up to us and asks if we are in XYZ. My two friends nodded (They really didn't want to start a conversation- HELLO, period of silence rule). The girl proceeds to squeal and yells "I'm going to be your sister soon! I'm rushing only for you guys!"

Classy!

lovespink88 08-26-2009 03:51 PM

So, although rush hasn't started, I had a weird moment during practice rush! I'm not sure if other schools do this, but during work week, there's a designated day where two chapters will send 40 girls each to one house to be the "PNMs" for a round while the other chapter gets a real practice. It was our turn to practice first invite, which is our skit/sisterhood round. I was really nervous cause this was the first time I was going to be doing anything like this. The party actually went really well! But I had a strange comment when I was walking my PNM out...In our skit, there's a "commercial break" and one of this sisters does a really funny impression of the Shamwow guy. When I picked up my PNM after the skit was over, I asked her if she liked it. She said, "Yeah! and actually I LOVE Shamwows! My hairs just so thick, and I shed alot, especially after I shower, so my mom makes me use one to dry my hair. It really helps, there's a lot less hair around the house!"

What the hell??

court4short 08-27-2009 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovespink88 (Post 1840049)
So, although rush hasn't started, I had a weird moment during practice rush! I'm not sure if other schools do this, but during work week, there's a designated day where two chapters will send 40 girls each to one house to be the "PNMs" for a round while the other chapter gets a real practice. It was our turn to practice first invite, which is our skit/sisterhood round. I was really nervous cause this was the first time I was going to be doing anything like this. The party actually went really well! But I had a strange comment when I was walking my PNM out...In our skit, there's a "commercial break" and one of this sisters does a really funny impression of the Shamwow guy. When I picked up my PNM after the skit was over, I asked her if she liked it. She said, "Yeah! and actually I LOVE Shamwows! My hairs just so thick, and I shed alot, especially after I shower, so my mom makes me use one to dry my hair. It really helps, there's a lot less hair around the house!"

What the hell??

Lmao. That's a little strange. I've heard that the Shamwow tends to dye things orange ... so she should be careful :p

But that's a cute idea with the commercial break!

Kappamd 08-27-2009 01:46 PM

I haven't read this thread in a while.....always cracks me up.

I have refrained from posting this story for a while, but I'll go ahead now. A few semesters ago we had a girl come through COB.....she was pretty tomboyish, which was fine, until she told our president that she was actually going through the process of having a sex change to become a guy. Even better, she said that if she had been allowed by the IFC, she would have rushed a fraternity! Needless to say, she made a lot of girls feel really uncomfortable and wasn't given a bid, although she continued to show up to EVERY COB event that semester and the next.

AnotherKD 08-27-2009 01:46 PM

This was from a long time ago (think just over 10 years) but I pledged fall of my freshman year. We did a spring rush that year and someone I knew from my first semester in the freshman dorm was rushing my house. We weren't roommates or anything- we just lived on the same floor and didn't hang out. I didn't get a chance to see her one night during rush until she was leaving, at which point she looked around (she was right by our exit), was PICKING HER NOSE, and smeared it on the wall as she walked out. I was not the only one that saw. In fact, people gave me crap about it because she made it known that she knew me. Needless to say, she did not get a bid from us. I thought she did that as maybe an act of showing she didn't like us? Turns out she called me after bids were given out, in tears, asking me why she didn't get in our house. Crazy girl. (Note: she did end up in another sorority, though. She must have left their walls alone.)

pbear19 08-27-2009 11:26 PM

I volunteered at a recruitment workshop tonight along with several other alumnae, and I was really tempted to take some inspiration from this thread for some of my characters. ;) I wasn't quite that mean, but I'd say collectively we hit most of the finer points of the crazy people represented in this thread.

This is one of those threads you just want to read over again every year or two, it never gets old!

Psi U MC Vito 09-01-2009 11:16 PM

There is this one kid at my school who was very well known to the NIC greeks. He was one of those guys who loved partying, drinking, doing drugs and the whole nine. So he ended up rushing every single NIC fraternity on campus trying to get a bid, even though he didn't even go to school here. He ended up getting dropped twice and banned from at least one house, but that didn't stop him. He ended up making a gang and modeling it off of a fraternity, with a grip and all. It get better though. He somehow learned the grip of one of the fraternities and would go around giving it to all of the brothers. Everybody hates this kid.

Fallen_Angel 09-03-2009 12:35 PM

During my first formal recruitment as an active I was chatting with some PNMs who had been my frosh (I had been a group facilitator for orientation) and one of the girls apparently forgot I was also in the sorority she was trying to rush and started talking about what she had done on the Sunday of Frosh week.

Sidenote: As a frosh facilitator you sign a contract agreeing not to abuse yoru position as a facilitator with the new students. AKA no hooking up with frosh during frosh week. Sunday is the official end of Frosh week and the day when contracts no longer apply, needless to say this means lots of frosh hooking up with facilitators in the bar where the after frosh party is. Not appropriate to talk about at a recruitment party!

As if that wasn't bad enough she proceeded to start naming names of facilitators who had "signed her arm" (guys sign the arm bands of girls they make out with on Sunday, it's a weird tradition) that she knew where in fraternities (and who also had some girlfriends among my sisters). Needless to say she did not get a bid to my chapter.

Ynyc 09-07-2009 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kappamd (Post 1840385)
I haven't read this thread in a while.....always cracks me up.

I have refrained from posting this story for a while, but I'll go ahead now. A few semesters ago we had a girl come through COB.....she was pretty tomboyish, which was fine, until she told our president that she was actually going through the process of having a sex change to become a guy. Even better, she said that if she had been allowed by the IFC, she would have rushed a fraternity! Needless to say, she made a lot of girls feel really uncomfortable and wasn't given a bid, although she continued to show up to EVERY COB event that semester and the next.

any follow up on this would be sooo interesting!

IHeartSephora 09-10-2009 04:44 PM

Another PNM going through with me started talking about her period and how it got so much worse after having her kid five months ago and other stuff like that to me and the rushers who were talking to us. I know I was flabbergasted, I can't even imagine what the chapter members thought.