GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Fraternity Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   Recruitment & Marijuana (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=134032)

freddyfifield 04-30-2013 07:29 PM

[deleted

thanks for your help

DeltaBetaBaby 04-30-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freddyfifield (Post 2215318)
Hello,
There are literally no signs that indicate they use the drug, aside from their confessions to me.

Maybe you should stop worrying about it, then?

adpiucf 04-30-2013 08:11 PM

Following recruitment, you can advise new and current members that the fraternity does not tolerate substance abuse. Name the substances and show them the door.

33girl 04-30-2013 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freddyfifield (Post 2215318)
These guys didn't look or act like stoners when I recruited them, nor do they now.

So curious to know what you think a stoner looks like.

In other words, the antidrug course you took in junior high school was a complete waste of time, yo.

But anyway, to your plan: Get a friend (who none of your new brothers know) to rent a cop costume. Send him a text when the guys are at the house high and have him show up while they're there for an unrelated offense (i.e. someone parked too close to the fire hydrant or something). This will put the fear of God into them and they should stop showing up at the house while they're baked. If they really are as huge of potheads as you think, they'll flunk out and it won't be your concern anymore.

DubaiSis 05-01-2013 01:00 AM

As marijuana becomes legalized around the country and is generally disregarded as a problem in a lot of places, I think it has to be bundled with alcohol use. Yes, it IS probably illegal where you are so as a fraternity you can't allow it in the house, but if their grades are fine, they aren't stealing or otherwise causing mayhem, I'd probably just relax. Now, my libertarian attitudes about drug use does NOT mean that the first fraternity or legal infraction is also ok. But if they can afford it and it's not negatively impacting their lives, I'd find something else to worry about.

Kevin 05-01-2013 09:01 AM

If they're being discrete and smoking up on their own time, I really don't have a problem with that. If the whole chapter knows, they're not being discrete. Imagine how becoming known as the stoner chapter will affect recruiting. Act accordingly.

jazing 05-01-2013 04:13 PM

I personally don't have an issue with people smoking, as long as its not during Greek Life events or fraternity functions. People can do what they want on their own time, as long as it doesn't bring the name of the fraternity into it. It isn't the XYZ smoking session, its John Doe's smoking session.

DubaiSis 05-02-2013 01:44 AM

The reality is we ARE our letters to those around campus, so you can't just decide to divest yourself from the chapter for an evening (or noon or Saturday in front of cartoons) but nobody expects every member to be a saint 24/7 either. Balance, discretion, turning up the cool, those are all things that need to be included in a complete and varied life that might include a little back room antics every once in a while.