GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Junior transfer completely new to greek (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=127803)

noob 07-12-2012 02:00 AM

Junior transfer completely new to greek

I'm wondering what quota is and if sororities have an age limit? I'll be going through recruitment at 24 and am worried I'm too old. As you can probably tell, I'm clueless to greek life. I read I'm not allowed to talk to sorority members before rush...or something? If anyone can give me any info I'd really appreciate it. I've tried looking through and reading other threads, but there are always acronyms and words I don't know the meaning of so I get totally lost. :/ Wow that sounds dumb, but in my defense I don't know anyone who has ever been in a sorority to talk to and all my info is coming from random websites lol. Thank you.

AOII Angel 07-12-2012 02:23 AM

Read the threads in the recruitment section. It will answer a lot of your questions.

AnchorAlumna 07-12-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noob (Post 2158068)
I'm wondering what quota is and if sororities have an age limit? I'll be going through recruitment at 24 and am worried I'm too old. As you can probably tell, I'm clueless to greek life. I read I'm not allowed to talk to sorority members before rush...or something? If anyone can give me any info I'd really appreciate it. I've tried looking through and reading other threads, but there are always acronyms and words I don't know the meaning of so I get totally lost. :/ Wow that sounds dumb, but in my defense I don't know anyone who has ever been in a sorority to talk to and all my info is coming from random websites lol. Thank you.

Your school should have a website that answers many of these questions. It will be either Greek Life or Panhellenic, and is often found under Student Life or Student Affairs.
There should also be a phone number for the Greek Life office or Panhellenic office or an adviser who can answer some questions.
Go here www.npcwomen.org for more info on sororities. Look on the bottom left side - there are several links for information about joining. Read the parents' section, too!
(Anybody know where there is a good glossary of terms?)

33girl 07-12-2012 11:35 AM

1. "Quota" is the number of women completing rush divided by the number of sororities, and is the amount of women each chapter can offer membership to. It has nothing to do with race, color, age, creed, religion, or sexual preference.

2. Sororities do not have an age limit, but if the majority of Greeks at your school joined as 18 year old first semester freshmen, a 24 year old junior probably will be looked on as an anomaly. It really depends on your campus.

If you are interested in an NPHC sorority, disregard everything everyone on this thread has told you.

Titchou 07-12-2012 11:37 AM

If you are clueless, why do you want to join? You don't even know what it is.

33girl 07-12-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titchou (Post 2158127)
If you are clueless, why do you want to join? You don't even know what it is.

That's kind of harsh. I would have called myself "clueless" about sororities before I started college - I vaguely knew what they were but I certainly didn't understand the terminology. That didn't mean I wasn't interested in finding out about it.

Titchou 07-12-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2158128)
That's kind of harsh. I would have called myself "clueless" about sororities before I started college - I vaguely knew what they were but I certainly didn't understand the terminology. That didn't mean I wasn't interested in finding out about it.

Her own statement was that she was new to Greek life and clueless about it. I take that at face value - "I have no clue what it is about but everyone is doing it so I want to do it too!" That's my interpretation. If she comes back and tells me I'm in error, then fine. I'll have a different reply.

noob 07-16-2012 04:30 AM

Thank you all for your advice and feedback :). Unfortunately, my school's greek website doesn't give much helpful information other than why to go greek. I know about sororities and that is why I want to join, I just didn't know any logistics or their process in recruiting. Thanks again for the help ladies.:)

Titchou 07-16-2012 07:07 AM

Then talk with your Greek Life office - in person. Pick up the phone and call them.