GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Information on HBGLOs (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=64781)

RACooper 03-28-2005 06:29 AM

Information on HBGLOs

Alright... there has been alot of arguing and bickering over the different cultures that exist in HBGLOs and the rest of the greeks... I think that most of this comes down to a lack of communication and understanding between us all.

To that end I'd like to take a step to help educate the GC community about HBGLOs... and maybe we can all learn something. I've already started it in another thread... but I'd like to see this thread devoted to educated GC about all HBGLOs (not just NPHC)

So in this thread I'd like to see members explaining to the rest of GC why Greek Life for HBGLOs is different? Or educating the GC community about the HBGLOs - either posting information (openly available info for public consumption), or answering relevent questions about specific topics.

As for a lead off question:
Do any of the HBGLOs have a patron saint or paragon that they can share with GC? Specifically I'd like to know if any org hold St. Maurice in any regard (some times called the first Christian knight, and originally represented as black African, an officer in the Roman Legion).

starang21 03-28-2005 08:06 AM

*crickets*

*tumbleweeds*

damn, y'all are some nosy ass people.

Senusret I 03-28-2005 08:57 AM

Alpha doesn't have a patron.

One major difference is the social action element of many BGLOs. Alpha was established NOT because we were rejected or in any way sought membership into existing general fraternities, but because we sought to formalize our existing camaraderie and companionship on a predominately white college campus. There existed no social outlets, scholarly discussion groups, or support systems for African American college men, and a fraternity was the best template available for what my founders wanted to do. That action -- creating an avenue that previously didn't exist -- is in itself "social action." The legacy solidified as we began to implement our national programs, like Go-to-High School, Go-to-College; Project Alpha, and A Voteless People is a Hopeless People.

It appears to me that NPC fraternities are much more about personal development and growth through values-based education and leadership development while my fraternity focuses on community development and growth through social action and service.

Is that accurate?

laidbackfella 03-28-2005 09:06 AM

It SEEMS to me that individuals that are members of NPHC GLO's make a commitment to that organization for life.

As evidenced by having strong AND active Graduate Chapters that:

1) Initiate members into their respective organizations.

2) Perform, in some cases, just as much community service as undergrad chapters

3) Hold regular events, that in some cases are just as popular or moreso than undergrad chapters.

The Interpreter 03-28-2005 09:09 AM

Moreover, NPHC organizations have strong, socially and politically active graduate and alumni(ae) chapters that visibly maintain Greek involvement among members years after graduation from college.

Especially in the South, these organizations are at the forefront of the greater political and philanthropic communities. Also, a person can join an NPHC organization as a graduate member.

DSTCHAOS 03-28-2005 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Senusret I
There existed no social outlets, scholarly discussion groups, or support systems for African American college men, and a fraternity was the best template available for what my founders wanted to do.
Because blacks were excluded from these predominently white networks and institutions. You don't have to be rejected or seek membership to know there is exclusion.

ladygreek 03-28-2005 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by starang21
*crickets*

*tumbleweeds*

damn, y'all are some nosy ass people.

Come on Dr. G. It's a fair question. {{{hug}}}

DSTCHAOS 03-28-2005 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ladygreek
It's a fair question.
If it is a sincere question and not just meant to "still the troubled waters of GC."

ladygreek 03-28-2005 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by DSTCHAOS
If it is a sincere question and not just meant to "still the troubled waters of GC."
Well at this point I will assume it is a sincere question unless shown otherwise.

DSTCHAOS 03-28-2005 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ladygreek
Well at this point I will assume it is a sincere question unless shown otherwise.

Well at this point it's all deja vu to me. :p

ThaBrickHouse 03-28-2005 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by DSTCHAOS
Well at this point it's all deja vu to me. :p
At this point this shit needs to be closed because he asked te same question in the other tthread,

RACooper 03-29-2005 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by ThaBrickHouse
At this point this shit needs to be closed because he asked te same question in the other tthread,
I directed the same question towards members of the NPHC... however I realized (given the current climate on GC) that open communication about HGBLOs would be invaliable to those of us not as knowledgeable as we should be about the culture and structure of HGBLOs...

Well that and I expected the other thread to be closed because of petty bickering... if the John or other Mods wanted to merge the threads I'd be all for it (if they are pertinent)... because I'm serious about the general lack of understanding between members of the GC community being more or less attributable to the general lack of communitcation...

So can we please keep the topic of this thread in focus?

Maybe us "unwashed masses" can learn something from a open discussion of the HGBLOs... such as some of the APhiAs' have contributed so far (for which I'm thankful). It is time to move on past the petty bickering and insults; and make a genuine effort to understand where each other is coming from.

starang21 03-29-2005 07:07 AM

read a book on it.

jubilance1922 03-29-2005 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by RACooper
I directed the same question towards members of the NPHC... however I realized (given the current climate on GC) that open communication about HGBLOs would be invaliable to those of us not as knowledgeable as we should be about the culture and structure of HGBLOs...

Well that and I expected the other thread to be closed because of petty bickering... if the John or other Mods wanted to merge the threads I'd be all for it (if they are pertinent)... because I'm serious about the general lack of understanding between members of the GC community being more or less attributable to the general lack of communitcation...

So can we please keep the topic of this thread in focus?

Maybe us "unwashed masses" can learn something from a open discussion of the HGBLOs... such as some of the APhiAs' have contributed so far (for which I'm thankful). It is time to move on past the petty bickering and insults; and make a genuine effort to understand where each other is coming from.

That's all well and good, but a lot of the information you are looking for, you could find by just doing a search on the internet or by picking up a book.

Wolfman 03-29-2005 06:11 PM

I've read this thread and a similar one to it. I don't quite understand the reluctance or refusal to engage with non-BGLO members about general information that can be helpful in possibly opening vistas of understanding. This topic, in a sense, does transcend the "cultural" differences and touches upon historcal and psychological/ emotional issues that we as African Americans and others deal with, often in a reactionary manner.

It is strange to me that BGLO members would be in this particular forum,GC, and be so defensive about questions posed in this and other threads. It seems to me that we sometimes want the advantages and benefits of an multicultural society and yet don't want the responsibilities and possible challenges that come with it.

"The value of our Fraternity is not in numbers but in men, in real brotherhood."