GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Being a Christian and wanting to become a member of a frat or sorority (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=1540)

trebleclef 06-27-2001 08:30 AM

Being a Christian and wanting to become a member of a frat or sorority

Have any of you ever noticed that some Christians are discouraged from becoming members of a fraternity or sorority based on what they "see?" I know it is different when you are on the outside looking in, but some Christians feel that they will compromise their Christianity if they decide to join.

praisedancer 06-27-2001 09:01 AM

Hi Trebleclef. I completely agree with you about Christians being discouraged by the image that fraternities and sororities have. I am a Christian and at first, I was afraid to join a sorority because I had heard so many negative things about them. However, the more I learned about them and the more I got the know the girls, I realized that it wasn't what I thought. Our sorority functions are basically good clean fun and usually for a charitable cause. I've developed great skills in leadership, social skills and learned how an organization is run. I have also found some awesome girls that I will be friends with for a long time. I have even met many other amazing Christians through the Greek system. I have found that my Christian values have not been corrupted and I am actually stronger. Do any of the Greeks party? Yes, they do, but so do most other college students out there. However, it is not part of the program. It is each person's personal decision as to their moral conduct. I do not drink and my sisters respect me for it. I know many other Christian Greeks that do not drink and uphold their Christian values, while having important roles in their fraternities and sororities. It's a personal choice and I am a Christian before I am an Alpha Gam. There is temptation everywhere whether you are Greek or not--as a Christian, you must be strong and stand your ground. I live according to the Bible and I still am having a great sorority experience. If you have any questions at all, please feel free to email me. God bless.

Pike4Life 06-27-2001 09:13 AM

That can be somewhat true. However, I think there is a great difference in each person - Greek or non-Greek - in their level of commitment to living a Christian life. I have had Brothers who profess to be Christians, and I do not doubt them...however, they do not take the time to live what some consider to be a "Christian life".

When I pledged, there were 3-4 devoutly Christian Brothers that really stood out from the crowd. These guys were in no means ostracized (sp?) by the other brothers -- they still played intramurals (very well I might add), came to socials, and were involved in every other aspect of Greek life. They also led a weekly Bibly study for Greeks, and promoted attendance and participation in the school's various religious organizations.
These guys were known throughout the Greek, campus and Christian communities as good leaders and excellent role models for other students. However, it seemed that once these guys graduated, the level of comfort some non-Greek devout Christians had with Greeks dramatically decreased.
These Brothers were very much "living for Jesus" everyday...they didn't drink, hook up, cuss, or act like the stereotypical fraternity guy (at least in public...what they did behind closed doors is unknown to me).
So, to answer your questions, I would have to say that if a Christian is afraid to join a fraternity or sorority just because they don't want to "compromise" their Christian beliefs, then that would lead me to think that they don't have much faith in the strenght of their Christian life and commitment to living for the Lord.

shadokat 06-27-2001 10:56 AM

If you find a group that helps you fulfill your life's ideals, and with which you can identify and strive to their ideals, I think you find yourself a match. Many of us have a form of religion in our lives. It might depend on how important it is to you. I know that I had fun in college, but I also believed in God and my religion. Don't compromise what you believe, but look for something to enhance that. Fraternities and sororities are something to be looked into and research and not joined lightly.

matthewg 06-27-2001 11:19 AM

Hi there -
at least we catholics don't have a problem with it. After all it were monks who invented the beer http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif
OK, I am in a German catholic fraternity, but we would definitely fall into the catergory of social fraternity and we have several bishops, cardinals and even one pope on the list of our members!
Can't be all that wrong! http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif

SilverTurtle 06-27-2001 03:56 PM

I would have to agree with everything that has been said. There are also a few Christian fraternities/sororities out there.

I just did a quick search on Yahoo! and found this list of a few.

------------------
SilverTurtle

Phi Beta Fraternity: National Professional Association for the Creative & Performing Arts

Tom Earp 06-27-2001 04:17 PM

While I cannot speak for ALL GREEK Orgs., most are based on Christian or of some religious philosophy. My Preist (Anglican) was a SN. Did not seem to hurt his beleifs in a Christian life.
By the way, a Roman catholic monk also made and found out about the old bubbly! Dom Perignon was his moniker! Sound familiar?

------------------
Tom Earp LX Z#1
Pittsburg State U. (Kansas)

ZTAMich 06-27-2001 07:46 PM

this is such an interesting topic! for me it is sort of timely, i find whenever i wear something greek related here at home i get "the look" from just about everyone. today i had my letters on while i was in the mall and noticed a few raised eyebrow looks. last friday i wore a bid day shirt to a church event and i was kinda hurt that no one asked me about it. being part of a christian family my parents were a little hesitant to let me join zta mostly bc of the secrecy involved, etc which they feel is against the Bible. i think if anything my sorority has made my moral/religious views more assured to me that they are what they are and that's what i believe. i think if more people in church communities were curious and open-minded, which doesn't always happen, the greek community and the church community would blend better and possibly be more accepting in cases where it is not.

TKEmz894 06-28-2001 12:17 AM

CHRISTIANS, DO NOT JOIN A FRATERNITY OR SORORITY!!!!!!! WE PLAY FLAG FOOSBALL!!!!! AND EVERYONE KNOWS MAMA SAYS FOOSBALL IS THE DEVIL!!!!!!!!!! I REPEAT CHRISTIANS DONT JOIN. WE ARE THE DEVIL!!!!!!!!
Blaise....... @ south central louisiana stae university

carnation 06-28-2001 12:24 AM

I can't stand judgemental people who think that Greek life and Christianity are mutually exclusive. I had no conflicts between them as an undergrad and I have advised my daughters to avoid any jerk (have you noticed it's usually someone who has no clue about what Greek life is really like?) who makes blanket condemnations like that.
We've taught our kids to avoid control freaks at any cost.

KayDeeCareBear 06-28-2001 12:33 AM

Heya,

I am a Christian, and a member of a sorority. http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif Everyone else has said everything that I would say, so I am just adding my support. I don't drink and I am still a virgin, and very proud to admit that to my sisters. I'm actually looked up to for it... they didn't dislike me at all for my beliefs. So. If you feel comfortable with a sorority, go for it!

AXOLiz 06-28-2001 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by KayDeeCareBear:
Heya,

I am a Christian, and a member of a sorority. http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif Everyone else has said everything that I would say, so I am just adding my support. I don't drink and I am still a virgin, and very proud to admit that to my sisters. I'm actually looked up to for it... they didn't dislike me at all for my beliefs. So. If you feel comfortable with a sorority, go for it!

I also agree with everything that was said. Your sorority/fraternity should accept and love you for who you are and should not try to make you change your beliefs or go against them. If they do, it's not the one for you.

------------------

Alpha Chi Omega - Why reach for the top when you're already there?

Pike4Life 06-28-2001 09:50 AM

HAHAHA! I think that's the funniest thing you've said yet TKEmz! But you forgot that fraternities hang out with sororities...and MAMA SAYS GIRLS ARE THE DEVIL TOO!!
BUT I LIKE VICKIE AND VICKIE LIKES ME, AND SHE SHOWED ME HER BOOBIES AND I LIKE THEM TOO!!!!

WB rules! YOU CAN DO IT!!

AXO Alum 06-28-2001 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by TKEmz894:
CHRISTIANS, DO NOT JOIN A FRATERNITY OR SORORITY!!!!!!! WE PLAY FLAG FOOSBALL!!!!! AND EVERYONE KNOWS MAMA SAYS FOOSBALL IS THE DEVIL!!!!!!!!!! I REPEAT CHRISTIANS DONT JOIN. WE ARE THE DEVIL!!!!!!!!
Blaise....... @ south central louisiana stae university

OMG - Okay I am DYING in here -- this is so freaking hilarious!! Flag foosball.....heeeheeeheeee....omg that is too much! Thanks for a MUCH needed laugh!!

As for you, Carnation, ROFLMBO about Control Freak Aversion - that should be taught in grade school! haaahaaahaaaa!

Tom Earp 06-28-2001 04:04 PM

Thank goodness I am in the confines of home so no one hears me roaring with glee!!!!
A LITTLE levety never hurt anyone especially on this thread!!!!!!! It really helps from a few of the other 10 round bouts!

YAHOO and WHOOPIE DO!

------------------
Tom Earp LX Z#1
Pittsburg State U. (Kansas)