GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Just another Rec Question (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=227884)

Legally_blond 04-07-2017 04:03 PM

Just another Rec Question

Hey all,
I know there's been quite a few threads about recs so I'm sorry if I'm repeating something, but I have read many of them and I don't think I am. I will be a sophomore next year and I'm planning on rushing at Clemson. I am an out of state student, but I have been pretty involved on campus this year and I am confidedent that my grades won't be an issue. I want to get ahead of the game for next year, and I have started to find rec writers; I'm hoping to get two for every group on campus. My question is, does who writes the recommendations make a difference to the chapter, or does it simply matter that you have a recommendation. Like would an alum be better than an active or would someone from the south or an area where the chapter is considered 'stronger' make more of an impression? Also would an alum from clemson be the best? Thank you for any advice and sorry if I'm overthinking this!

AZTheta 04-07-2017 04:29 PM

Paging clemsongirl!

FSUZeta 04-07-2017 05:19 PM

Clemsongirl will have the best answer for her campus, but in my experience with chapters on various campuses( but not Clemson), I would have to say it was most important to have a rec by someone who knows you personally and can speak on your good character and attributes.

thetalady 04-07-2017 07:10 PM

Many sororities do not allow collegians to write recommendations, but some do. If an active member is allowed to write a rec, they are generally not allowed to write one for her own chapter. HURRY on those recs! Ideally, you want them submitted before school is out for the summer. Best of luck!! Come back and give us a rush story when it is all over! :-)

Legally_blond 04-07-2017 07:46 PM

Thank you so much atllady! I have some people who have agreed to help me but I was under the impression (I don't know why) that I shouldn't submit recs until I had registered for recruitment. I will get right on it thanks!

clemsongirl 04-07-2017 08:30 PM

Thanks for the paging, everyone! Clemson isn't hypercompetitve like Ole Miss or Bama-one rec per chapter from a writer who knows you is fine. My chapter didn't assign any special weight to the chapter the woman was from.

AnchorAlumna 04-08-2017 01:43 PM

Before school is out?
That's pushing it TOO much. Many girls haven't decided about sign up for recruitment yet....many aren't even aware there are sororities!
Midsummer is fine.

Legally_blond 05-24-2017 12:25 PM

Hey everybody, thanks for all the advice! I just wanted to add a quick update/second question: I've secured recommendations for almost every sorority on campus through my family, friends, and a few alumni associations. However, I am still missing one or two. I will definitely keep looking on my own and asking around, but do y'all think it would be ok to reach out to alumni associations near my school? I understand that it is not optimal and I would completely get it if that would be considered inappropriate, so I'm just wondering if it's an option.

Titchou 05-24-2017 04:22 PM

You would need to reach out to people in your home area - not your school. Have you asked everyone who is doing a rec if they know anyone in the groups you still need? That's the first place to start. Next, check to see if there is an alumnae panhellenic in your area and register with them. Then locate the nearest alumnae chapter for the orgs you need. That is the order you should be doing this.

GreekOne 05-26-2017 07:01 AM

Several years back, I was an officer on the board of our local Panhellenic Association. Every once in awhile, I would get a request from a local pnm who wanted to meet and "interview" so that I could complete a rec.

I would invite them over and talk to them about their activities, aspirations, etc. as well as share insight into the responsibilities of membership. I wrote several recommendations for these women.

I appreciated that they took the initiative to seek me out and come to see me to discuss the process. Ideally, your sponsor has known you for a period of time. But, if you simply can't find anyone that fits that bill, networking through the local Panhellenic would be better than nothing.