GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Guidelines for wearing your chapter name's letters (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=247371)

Bee 10-07-2020 07:27 PM

Guidelines for wearing your chapter name's letters

I'm looking for guidelines on use of chapter letters.

Like, if I'm a member of the Delta Zeta chapter of XYZ Sorority, are the chapter reference guidelines solely with the Sorority? Or is it totally acceptable to go around wearing the DZ letters?

I mean, NO! That can't possibly be OK. But I am searching for some official guideline somewhere. Where common sense does not, unfortunately, prevail. :eek:

This is happening and I'm trying to point out an error in judgment respectfully. Or, if I'm wrong here, I need to see it in writing somewhere.

Help?

Titchou 10-07-2020 07:34 PM

I've never heard of an NPC chapter wearing only the chapter letters. Yes, I've seen Gamma Gamma of Alpha Alpha but not just chapter letters.

ASTalumna06 10-07-2020 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titchou (Post 2480439)
I've never heard of an NPC chapter wearing only the chapter letters. Yes, I've seen Gamma Gamma of Alpha Alpha but not just chapter letters.

This. The chapter letters typically accompany the sorority (or fraternity) name/letters in some way, so I don't think it's generally an issue?

PersistentDST 10-07-2020 08:02 PM

I would assume that may differ depending on the organization. Being in the NPHC, there’s obviously a lot of differences, so take my comment with a grain of salt if it doesn’t help you. :D But Greeks wearing just their chapter letters on a shirt happens pretty often in our council.

Titchou 10-07-2020 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PersistentDST (Post 2480442)
I would assume that may differ depending on the organization. Being in the NPHC, there’s obviously a lot of differences, so take my comment with a grain of salt if it doesn’t help you. :D But Greeks wearing just their chapter letters on a shirt happens pretty often in our council.

and that's exactly why I qualified it with NPC....

Cheerio 10-07-2020 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bee (Post 2480438)
I'm looking for guidelines on use of chapter letters.

Like, if I'm a member of the Delta Zeta chapter of XYZ Sorority, are the chapter reference guidelines solely with the Sorority? Or is it totally acceptable to go around wearing the DZ letters?

I mean, NO! That can't possibly be OK. But I am searching for some official guideline somewhere. Where common sense does not, unfortunately, prevail. :eek:

This is happening and I'm trying to point out an error in judgment respectfully. Or, if I'm wrong here, I need to see it in writing somewhere.

Help?

Shall I assume the chapter letters in question are not attached to your initiation badge? Unless women are refusing to wear their initiation badges (the rampant Equity Revolt) and are choosing to wear chapter guards alone.

knight_shadow 10-08-2020 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titchou (Post 2480445)
and that's exactly why I qualified it with NPC....

*You* did, but the OP didn't. It doesn't look like PersistentDST was replying to you.

FSUZeta 10-08-2020 06:28 AM

Bee, what council is your sorority a part of?

Xidelt 10-08-2020 08:59 AM

I'd assume NPC. She has Alpha Chi Omega in her signature line.

PGD-GRAD 10-08-2020 09:49 AM

In Indiana, our Fiji chapters often refer to each other by Chapter Greek letter designations. For example, IU is just “the Zeta chapter”, Rose-Hulman is Rho Phi, Hanover is Tau, etc. And it’s not just single letter chapters...it’s just how it’s been. Our brothers from Purdue (Lambda Iota) would never say “the IU FIJIs.” It would just be “the Zeta chapter” and everybody would know who they meant.

In fact, the chapter I’ve advised for 20+ years has had pocket-Ts for rush shirts and on the pocket is: FIJI, below it (in Greeks) Rho Phi and below that Rush 2020 for example.

PersistentDST 10-08-2020 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knight_shadow (Post 2480460)
*You* did, but the OP didn't. It doesn't look like PersistentDST was replying to you.

Precisely this. I saw the OP was in an NPC sorority, but she didn’t specify, so I just added my thoughts. I’m not clear why I received a negative response. :confused:

Bee 10-08-2020 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PersistentDST (Post 2480442)

Can you share an example, or guidelines that make this acceptable?

Bee 10-08-2020 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheerio (Post 2480452)
Shall I assume the chapter letters in question are not attached to your initiation badge? Unless women are refusing to wear their initiation badges (the rampant Equity Revolt) and are choosing to wear chapter guards alone.

It's not related to an Equity Revolt. They just like their chapter letters I guess. I've just never seen this without also featuring the sorority itself. That the chapter letters happen to be identical to another national organization is what's leaving me floored.

ASTalumna06 10-08-2020 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bee (Post 2480473)
It's not related to an Equity Revolt. They just like their chapter letters I guess. I've just never seen this without also featuring the sorority itself. That the chapter letters happen to be identical to another national organization is what's leaving me floored.

So... are they wearing, for example, stitched letter shirts with DZ plastered across the front and nothing else on it?

Do they know their chapter designation is the same as another NPC? Perhaps they're simply ignorant to this fact. You'd be surprised how many collegiate members of NPCs have no clue about national sororities that exist outside of their campus.

Cheerio 10-08-2020 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSUZeta (Post 2480463)
Bee, what council is your sorority a part of?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xidelt (Post 2480465)
I'd assume NPC. She has Alpha Chi Omega in her signature line.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bee (Post 2480473)

Think about this: the NPC didn't formally come into being until 1902. Even back then some chapter designations were already identical to those of some NPC groups...Alpha Phi, Delta Gamma and Delta Zeta chapters likely existed within several of our oldest NPC groups by 1902. The NPC has never sought to control chapter greek designations within its groups.

And NPC groups joining in 1951 would DEFINITELY have already had chapters with names exacting those of some of our earliest NPC member groups.