GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Are some people just not meant to be in sororities? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=129193)

etadrisophila 09-04-2012 02:27 PM

Hi Wishful:

Here are my two cents:

For reasons beyond my control, there have been some unfortunate things going on in my life recently. As a result, I've been told that sometimes I look very serious (and thus unapproachable). This is totally not normal for me.

Because of these comments (and based upon recent photos I've seen of myself), I've been concentrating on smiling (not *fake* smiles) and standing tall with good posture. As well, I've paid attention to my body language (e.g. arms crossed vs. open stance, etc.) As vain as it seems, I've even practiced in front of the mirror to better understand (and address) how I look to others while in conversation.

I've found that by smiling and maintaining an open posture, I feel more relaxed and engaged.

Be yourself and be the best self you can be!

(I apologize if this is too simplistic and obvious).

DeltaBetaBaby 09-04-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by etadrisophila (Post 2175318)
Hi Wishful:

Here are my two cents:

For reasons beyond my control, there have been some unfortunate things going on in my life recently. As a result, I've been told that sometimes I look very serious (and thus unapproachable). This is totally not normal for me.

Because of these comments (and based upon recent photos I've seen of myself), I've been concentrating on smiling (not *fake* smiles) and standing tall with good posture. As well, I've paid attention to my body language (e.g. arms crossed vs. open stance, etc.) As vain as it seems, I've even practiced in front of the mirror to better understand (and address) how I look to others while in conversation.

I've found that by smiling and maintaining an open posture, I feel more relaxed and engaged.

Don't apologize! This is important stuff!

Wishful 09-04-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Hi Wishful:

Here are my two cents:

Lol no need to apologize! It's sweet that you actually took the time to give advice so thanks :)

RaggedyAnn 09-04-2012 02:50 PM

It only takes one and if you get that one, remember, they wanted you! Don't think of the cuts, think of the possibilities. Best of wishes with the rest of recruitment!

Wishful 09-04-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaggedyAnn (Post 2175324)
It only takes one and if you get that one, remember, they wanted you! Don't think of the cuts, think of the possibilities. Best of wishes with the rest of recruitment!

Thanks for your wishes!! I'll keep everyone up to date with the process next week!

ErinHope 09-04-2012 09:44 PM

People might have said this already, but remember it only takes one. Do research on the chapters you have left and be kind and outgoing in the ones you return to. But come up with a plan if you do get released for getting involved in other activities.

Side note: Several of my sisters had only 3 left after the first round! And had one left after skits (like me). Well, they're my sisters now! So it can work out.

Some uplifting recruitment stories about this: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=128823
And I'll shamelessly plug my own... because I really think it might help you to read. http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=129122

Wishful 09-04-2012 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ErinHope (Post 2175443)
People might have said this already, but remember it only takes one. Do research on the chapters you have left and be kind and outgoing in the ones you return to. But come up with a plan if you do get released for getting involved in other activities.

Side note: Several of my sisters had only 3 left after the first round! And had one left after skits (like me). Well, they're my sisters now! So it can work out.

Some uplifting recruitment stories about this: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=128823
And I'll shamelessly plug my own... because I really think it might help you to read. http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=129122

Aww thank you for your uplifting stories! I'm glad you found your home...that must have been nerve-wracking just having 1 sorority for a few days. I hope I will find my home as well. Just a few more days...

Unregistered... 09-05-2012 04:53 AM

I am going through rush right now, and so far, it has been great. There is a bit of understated competition between the houses at my university that you can really feel, but it does not phase me. I only wish that the process was the same for you.

arrowlady 09-05-2012 11:33 AM

Hoping the best for you... I too have often wondered how girls with good grades, good appearance slip through the cracks. Keep being yourself and give the 3 you have left your all. Let them know how happy you are to be there!

ree-Xi 09-05-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Hi Wishful:

Here are my two cents:

I wanted to second this notion. I have a lot of health issues and sometimes when I am in pain or not feeling well, I come across as "mad" or upset, even among my family members who knew me well. Sometimes we need to be conscious of our body language, because people can give off mixed signals. In my situation, I sometimes need to say "hey, I'm not feeling well, so if I'm a bit quiet, that's why".

Wishful 09-05-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrowlady (Post 2175550)
Hoping the best for you... I too have often wondered how girls with good grades, good appearance slip through the cracks. Keep being yourself and give the 3 you have left your all. Let them know how happy you are to be there!

Thanks! My Pi Chis are completed baffled as well. :/ I can't really figure out the system until I'm on the other side...too bad it's difficult for me to get to that side lol.

DubaiSis 09-05-2012 01:11 PM

But you're still in? When is your next round?

Wishful 09-05-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DubaiSis (Post 2175589)
But you're still in? When is your next round?

Yes, I'm still in! I'll let you guys know more updates after recruitment. Until then...I'm keeping quiet. :X

ErinHope 09-05-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wishful (Post 2175624)
Yes, I'm still in! I'll let you guys know more updates after recruitment. Until then...I'm keeping quiet. :X

Yay! I wish you all the best!

KillarneyRose 09-06-2012 09:11 AM

I know you're maintaining silence until after recruitment, but I just wanted to tell you good luck and keep your chin up!