GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Pledge Class President (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=98316)

KSDN1 08-03-2008 01:35 AM

Pledge Class President

Hi all,

I got a bid this summer to an IFC fraternity at my school and accepted, making me the first member of my pledge class. I have a lot of things I'd like to see my potential pledge class do, and I was considering maybe running for pledge class president.

Does anyone have any advice as to if this is a good idea and what are the benefits/downsides of being a PC Pres.? Thanks!

pledgemaster 08-03-2008 02:38 AM

don't get to excited about being the Pledge Class President. The only thing it does for you is that you get bitched at whenever the other pledges mess up. The older guys are going to come to you when stuff goes wrong.

Elephant Walk 08-03-2008 02:48 AM

And you don't get any treatment any better once you get initiated as well.

Although it is a good step to further positions in the fraternity, that's about it.

Kevlar281 08-03-2008 05:58 PM

Pledge Class President is considered a curse in my chapter.

Elephant Walk 08-03-2008 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevlar281 (Post 1690310)
Pledge Class President is considered a curse in my chapter.

Same here.

They always end up being idiots.

Benzgirl 08-03-2008 09:14 PM

Our pledge class president was asked to leave before initiation.

YoungBuck01 08-03-2008 09:54 PM

What about a position like pledge class treasurer? Pros/Cons?

KatieKate1244 08-03-2008 09:59 PM

:( I was president for my pledge class, and now y'all are making me feel bad. Honestly, I really didn't do much except give updates at chapter meetings on the pledge class activities.

If you are really interested in it, talk to whomever your pledge educator will be and see what the position will entail for your specific chapter.

Senusret I 08-03-2008 10:07 PM

^^^ It might be different for girls in general and NPCs in particular.

Zillini 08-04-2008 08:09 AM

If you have longer term goals of running for a "bigger" office within your org, then go for it. The experience will be helpful and if you do a good job in a small and often unappreciated position folks rememer when elections come.

ASTalumna06 08-04-2008 08:52 AM

I know that for my chapter, the pledge class president was a good position to be in, but in the long run, it didn't help out much in terms of obtaining positions once becoming a sister.

My bf was his pledge class president (after the first one they had stepped down cuz he was a moron), and yea, he was the one that the brothers went to when things went wrong. It wasn't that they got really pissed or yelled at him, but they would ask him what was wrong with the class. And when things needed to be done, he was the one they turned to. When the class was expected to be somewhere, he was in charge of rounding them up. And when they didn't show up, he would end up doing things on his own. He didn't get bitched at or anything, but a lot of things were put on his shoulders. And quite a few of his pledge brothers expected him to do things for them.

But... he became a brother in fall of 07, and since then he's put on 3 big events as PR chair, including a campus-wide bowling night and a concert. And because the brothers recognized that he knew a lot more than any of his pledge brothers, he is going to be one of their new member educators for the upcoming semester.

33girl 08-04-2008 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senusret I (Post 1690385)
^^^ It might be different for girls in general and NPCs in particular.

Not to mention, if someone is actually talking about RUNNING for it. I mean, we basically took 5 minutes at our first pledge meeting, people said what they would like to be and that was pretty much it. If it's a deal where you actually have to run I would say it's a little more pressure (not to mention more people in the pledge class).

Kansas City 08-04-2008 09:56 AM

I think that you might be getting a little ahead of yourself. Making note of ideas is fine but until the rest of your pledge class has been established, you can't possibly know what you will be getting yourself into. Unless your organization is much more formal than the ones I have experience with, there won't be much "running" or campaigning but instead it (pledge class president) will be a 3-minute agenda item that takes place during a regular meeting. I applaud your enthusiasm but perhaps you should save some of it for your pledge brothers following recruitment.

PANTHERTEKE 08-04-2008 10:58 AM

IMO, Pledge Class presidents are much more different in fraternities than sororities.

The biggest pro is also the biggest con; you will be held responsible for your pledge class's actions whether good or bad.

If they mess up, you'll be held responsible.

So just wait until you see how your pledge class is before you choose to be seen as their leader.

knight_shadow 08-04-2008 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PANTHERTEKE (Post 1690552)
IMO, Pledge Class presidents are much more different in fraternities than sororities.

The biggest pro is also the biggest con; you will be held responsible for your pledge class's actions whether good or bad.

If they mess up, you'll be held responsible.

So just wait until you see how your pledge class is before you choose to be seen as their leader.

My thoughts exactly. I wasn't aware that pledge presidents could appoint themselves -- I thought it was a mutual decision between the class.