GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Alpha Gamma Delta (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Hey Convention Squirrels (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=54017)

GtownGirl98 07-20-2004 01:32 PM

Hey Convention Squirrels

Okay I know that yall are having a great time at Convention but could you please throw those of us not there a nut and give us some news about all the goings on, PLEASE!!!

agzg 07-20-2004 09:41 PM

I'm not at convention but I do know a few things because my sis-mom called me yesterday.

She said things have been very busy, but Sunday night (I think she said)they did initiation and the Honors of Epsilon Pi.

They've been very busy but overall it's been a good time.

She also said she met an Alpha Gam in the airport from Florida who invited members of my chapter down to visit members of her chapter during Fall break (there's normally a foot of snow here over fall break - Florida is definitely a good idea!).

Last but not least, she said the hotel is absolutely <i>crawling</i> with Alpha Gams and she's super excited.

That's pretty much all she told me, not very much but it was definitely super exciting to hear from her!

AGDAlum 07-21-2004 08:20 AM

I walked in my front door at 12:11 a.m. today and was way too tired to log on, much less to form a coherent sentence.

Convention was most memorable! The parade of chapter flags was impressive--one for each, in the school colors. The flags ringed the meeting room for the duration of the Convention. The archives room had displays from the decades--manuals, photos, memorabilia. The heritage rooms had displays from chapters and clubs. Exemplification of all the rituals--not just initiation but also opening and closing a meeting, wearing the badge--was letter perfect. Even better, the Ritual Chairman did a superb job of explaining what we were doing.

The Foundation has tremendous accomplishments. The Campaign for Alpha Gamma Delta exceeded its ambitous goal!

I hadn't been for such a long time that I surprised myself at how many people I recognized and reconnected with. Those sisterly bonds certainly extend acress the years.

And the new sisterly bonds! I spent a lot of time with my alumnae club sisters, including the free afternoon, getting to know them. (We went to the newly-opened Millenium Park.) It was soooo great to meet the Greek Chat Alpha Gams. I talked to non-GCers who said, "Oh, online? That's nice," or "How do I get there?" There's a group photo that I've already downloaded but I don't know how to get it here. (AGDee said she'd help me.)

I returned home with renewed appreciation for Alpha Gam and a determination to do what I can to help her prosper.

Unregistered- 07-21-2004 05:16 PM

Will post a detailed update when I get home. maria and I have since moved from our posh Concierge Level 40th floor rooms to across town and it's as if we're squatters living in a piece of crap.

I am exhausted from the meetings, meals, and the after parties. Oh yeah...and Kevin the banker. Will post more about Kevin later.

Ritual was beautiful as was Feast of Roses and the Living Circle (say, Sophisticated Hula?) was so much fun.

I can't wait to see all y'all again (Dee, maria, lynn, Carolyn, Julie, Nann, marissa, donielle!!!!) late June 2006 at the next convention -- the Renaissance Indian Wells, California!!!

Now it's time to enjoy the city!

mu_agd 07-21-2004 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by OohTeenyWahine

I can't wait to see all y'all again (Dee, maria, lynn, Carolyn, Julie, Nann, marissa, donielle!!!!) late June 2006 at the next convention -- the Renaissance Indian Wells, California!!!

Now it's time to enjoy the city!

i wonder if i start planning/saving now i can go! let's hope! glad you've been having fun. enjoy the rest of your trip!

AGDLynn 07-21-2004 07:41 PM

GREAT TIME!! TOTALLY EXHAUSTED!!

Had shower, now going out for REAL FOOD THAT DOESN'T INCLUDE SALAD;)

and having SWEET TEA to drink!!:D

Will post more when I have the energy!!

Thankfully leaving Chicago wasn't as draining as going to Chicago!

AGDAlum 07-21-2004 08:46 PM

[Had shower, now going out for REAL FOOD THAT DOESN'T INCLUDE SALAD;)

Oh, did you get your fill of spinach?

N

Taualumna 07-21-2004 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by AGDAlum
[Had shower, now going out for REAL FOOD THAT DOESN'T INCLUDE SALAD;)

Oh, did you get your fill of spinach?

N

LOL!!!

ETA: For my account of this year's Convention, please visit my blog at www.livejournal.com/users/alumnagirl

Once again, it was great to meet all the GCers! Hope to see everyone again in 2006! :D

Taualumna 07-21-2004 09:22 PM

Another question: During Living Circle yesterday, we were told that we weren't supposed to raise our glasses during a toast. I was taught, however, that you only don't raise your glass if you/your group is the one being toasted. For example, I won't raise my glass during the toast to the alumnae. I double checked some wedding sites and was able to find information to back this up. Is this a regional thing, or are we not supposed to raise our glasses because it is for the fraternity as a whole?

squirrely girl 07-21-2004 09:55 PM

oh wow!!!!!!!!!!!!

gawd i'm one exhausted squirrel! convention was FABULOUS!!!! so much more than i could have ever imagined.

i got home 'bout 2 this afternoon and all i've done is SLEEP!!!! i'm going to blame the corruptive influences of maria and sandy and piano bars (MANY MORE details and pictures on that later!!!!!!)

btw - i REALLY wish i could have stayed longer with you two (even in the squatter motel), i almost ended up staying an extra night just because i was stupid and booked my flight for tomorrow afternoon instead of this afternoon (grrrrr) and had to pay twice as much to change it. unfortunately i had people waiting for me and couldn't just blow them off!

like you lynn, i was really excited to eat something without salad in it! yeah taco bell!

ah well, i guess we'll all get around to posting more details later, but it was GREAT GREAT GREAT and i can't wait til next time around (only this time i'll prolly plan for a couple of extra days)

marissa

AGDee 07-21-2004 09:59 PM

My Convention Experience

This may be long, so kick back, get a "soda" (as they say in Chicago) and enjoy!

I left Friday at 11:35 am.

What a wonderful idea to get 143 AGDs from Michigan to take the train to Chicago! Why do they say online, and on the ticket, to arrive more than 30 minutes ahead if you're checking luggage when... THEY DON'T CHECK LUGGAGE ON THAT ROUTE!!!!! I quickly decided that my chapter files, diet pepsi, and a couple pairs of shoes could stay in the trunk of my car for the duration of Convention and I quickly repacked all my stuff in the parking lot to fit it into two bags. I have bruises on my arms from the weight of those two bags! It was all uphill from there though!

Arrive at hotel at 5 pm, just enough time to check in, freshen up and go to the Foundation Reception for VST where I got to meet greeklawgirl and a couple Wendy/ies. It was wonderful to eat something other than peanut butter and jelly (the lunch I packed for the train ride). After the Foundation Reception, I ironed all of my dresses, unpacked, and read a bit. I knew it would be a busy couple of days.

Saturday, bright and early, it was VST breakfast time! It was an awesome breakfast!!! It was great to see my volunteer sisters who I so rarely get a chance to talk with!

Next came some training for VST. That's enough about that! A lunch break, then it was time for credentialing, which I worked for a few hours. It was a great chance to keep catching up with sisters that I only see at Conventions or TLCs.

Finally, dinner time! The Foundation Banquet had a gorgeous backdrop of the Chicago skyline behind the head table. We had a delicious dinner (I agree with the salad comments, but I will miss those crackers!!!!) and went away with beautiful silver bud vases.

Opening ritual on Sunday brought tears to my eyes as did the flag parade! Sunday was a long day, but our speakers were impressive AGDs. One encouraged us to Impact the World, and the other taught us the importance of humor. My jaw hurt from laughing so hard!! That was remedied in the Risk Management workshop where many women had many questions about our new procedures! On to the Epsilon Pi banquet where we received a beautiful "surrounded by sisterhood" logo charm. This is a tradition at Convention and it is fun to see some of the sisters' charm bracelets after they've been to numerous Conventions! Of course our Rituals were incredible and moving.
It was a late night!

Monday brought amendments to the amended amendments, I think. It was tough to follow at times! The alumnae luncheon was great and it was fun to see all the awards given to the chapters and clubs for their accomplishments! FREE TIME!!! Navy Pier is a blast! The stained glass museum there was amazing and there were so many restaurants that the only way to choose where to eat was by picking the one with the shortest wait! After 36 hours straight of being in that hotel, it was great to walk by the water, feel the wind in my hair. It was so energizing and relaxing!

On Tuesday we learned self defense with Erin from Campus Speak doing "Girls Fight Back". She was funny and informative and from now on, when people flame me in News & Politics, I know just what to say "STOP! LEAVE ME ALONE! I DON'T WANT ANY PROBLEMS"!!!! I got motivated at Leadership, Motivation and Management. They served SWEET TEA at lunch, which threw this northern girl for a loop! Singing, courtesy resolutions and International Council Officer Installation brought an end to the business and led us to an inspiring Closing Address by our new International Council President. Feast of Roses followed where we posed for our GC picture (minus a few women, unfortunately). We received beautiful music boxes which play "100 Years of Beauty", the Centennial song. It was beautiful to see all the candles around the room as they called chapter roll. The Living Circle brought a bittersweet end to the Convention and we LOVED the Hawaii women doing the hula for us! (Thanks Delta Sigmas!!).

Random thoughts: My circle of close sisters keeps growing as we experience high points and low points in our lives. I met so many wonderful women and received a whole LIST of women who are interested in advising at one of my chapters that desperately needs advisors. Way to go Zeta Chi for raising over $9000 for the Foundation, winning the most improved philanthropy award and surprising their PDC while doing it all! Those rascally squirrels never sent me a final total! And, because we missed it here, Happy Birthday Marie!

As always, it's good to be home, and I will carry special memories of the Centennial Celebration with me forever!

I love my sisters!

LIEP,

Dee

AGDee 07-21-2004 11:13 PM

http://www.wideopenwest.com/~denisebr/AGDGC.jpg

Someone else will have to caption! I need sleep!

AGDLynn 07-22-2004 10:59 AM

Greeklawgirl, Squirrelygirl, Taualumna
AGDLynn, OohTeenyWahine, Alphagamalum, AGDee, AlphaGam-Alum

There were several more GC'ers at Convention, just that things were sooo hectic it was hard to get everyone together at one time.

We didn't do the big GC all-hang-out together event cause, "gasp", we didn't post a definite time and place to meet! ;) :p

I also appreciated the opportunity of meeting IHQ staff that I deal with....Diane G and Kathy K have been great. I wish I had met Audra but I forgot I wanted to meet her until she was introduced.

Pool time!:D

GtownGirl98 07-22-2004 03:13 PM

Hey girls great info... I take it that they didn't announce expansion anywhere? OR anyother big news?

AGDLynn 07-22-2004 05:42 PM

There was no big news announcement concerning expansion but that doesn't mean that there isn't an ongoing discussion about any one school within the IHQ/VST teams.

Depending on what you mean by "big news", there was some that were about how different collegiate officer responsibilities would be changed.

Wait!!! How could I forget this!!

Alpha Gamma Deltas raised $5.5 MILLION for the Foundation!:D :D

Wait #2....

I forgot, Alpha Gam introduced a beautiful song about AGD's 100 years of sisterhood. Those who attended Feast of Roses got a beautiful music box with the tune. I hope that they are able to put the song with words/tunes on the revised website.