GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Sorority SUMMER rush attire (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=127636)

correa13 06-29-2012 07:52 PM

Sorority SUMMER rush attire

Hey! I will be starting at Cornell University this August as a Transfer student. With that said, I am excited about going Greek. And since I am a Transfer student I will be able to rush for the Fall semester instead of during the winter at the beginning of the Spring semester. So, I have a question on a potential outfit for SUMMER rush attire.

I absolutely love this dress and would like to know if it is sorority summer rush semi-formal material? This is what I would like to wear for Preference night. How about if I wear it with the "right" accessories?

http://www.bigdropnyc.com/assets/images/BDP02959.jpg

Socalparent 06-29-2012 08:04 PM

Am I an old lady who thinks that's cute but a little too short in the front? On my tall daughter that would be scandalously short.

DrPhil 06-29-2012 08:12 PM

lane swerve/

I really like the dress. How short it is in the front may depend on the height, weight, and body type of the person wearing it (and perhaps whether stilettos are being worn). The OP would have to determine whether the dress looks on her the way it looks in the photo. If it does, I recommend not wearing it for NPC recruitment or for any event where your thighs are not welcome. The general rule of "if your dress/skirt/shorts is/are at or below your hand when your arms are down, it's okay for more conservative events" seems not to apply to that dress.

/lane swerve

AnotherKD 06-29-2012 09:01 PM

In addition, I know it is the summer, but that color seems awfully sheer. I know formal dresses aren't warranted for pref, but this just seems like a slip with an odd hemline.

Hockeynut 06-29-2012 09:55 PM

WTF? Since when do the sororities at Cornell do "summer rush"? Do you mean the smaller rush in the fall?

Regardless, it's a nice dress, but may show a little too much for certain situations.

correa13 06-29-2012 10:34 PM

Thanks for replying!

@Hockeynut: lol, it's not called a summer rush, I just wanted to stress the weather that should be taken into consideration since the Fall semester begins during the summer & rush is generally before the semester begins or soon after.

Hockeynut 06-29-2012 11:22 PM

It'll only be warm until mid October probably.

AOII Angel 06-29-2012 11:30 PM

It looks like lingerie to me.

33girl 06-30-2012 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by correa13 (Post 2155932)
Thanks for replying!

@Hockeynut: lol, it's not called a summer rush, I just wanted to stress the weather that should be taken into consideration since the Fall semester begins during the summer & rush is generally before the semester begins or soon after.

School does not start in the summer. School starts in the fall. Once school starts, it is fall, regardless of what the calendar says. Clothing needs to follow accordingly. You are in New York state, not St Tropez. This dress looks like something you wear either when on the beach or when on your back. Just. No.

Always AlphaGam 06-30-2012 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AOII Angel (Post 2155944)
It looks like lingerie to me.

This.

OP, get the dress if you want, but I wouldn't wear it for recruitment.

AGDee 06-30-2012 06:16 AM

The average high temperature in Ithaca, NY in September is 71. The average low is 49. I can't help but wonder if you're from the south or something. http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...ly/graph/14850

28StGreek 06-30-2012 06:28 AM

One of my little cousins just graduated from Cornell this past spring. Her opinion; do NOT wear that for recruitment regardless of what the weather is like.

DZsis&mom 06-30-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2155960)
This dress looks like something you wear either when on the beach or when on your back. Just. No.

I understand you explaining to the OP the difference in dress for different regions of the country. But that was going too far. You may not see this dress in the Northeast (I am sure you will next year), but it is the hottest selling style in many areas.

Saying it is not appropriate for Recruitment was all that was required.

AOII Angel 06-30-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DZsis&mom (Post 2155996)
I understand you explaining to the OP the difference in dress for different regions of the country. But that was going too far. You may not see this dress in the Northeast (I am sure you will next year), but it is the hottest selling style in many areas.

Saying it is not appropriate for Recruitment was all that was required.

LOL. If you haven't figured out 33girl's sense of humor by now, it's hopeless.

TNAuburnMom 06-30-2012 12:23 PM

That hemline is the one I had for my bridesmaids dresses 22 years ago. Is it back in fashion again?