GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Recruitment UT Austin (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=215937)

summergal 03-13-2016 10:55 PM

Recruitment UT Austin

Hi!
I'm a current CAP student at UTSA and am planning to rush at UT the following year. I've read a bunch of the stories on the internet, and formal recruitment sounds to be extremely competitive. I was wondering what is the difference between a letter of recommendation, a reference letter, sponsorship, and a letter of support?

Titchou 03-14-2016 06:32 AM

All the terms containing "letter" are the same. Sponsorship is Delta Gamma's term for a recommendation.

DubaiSis 03-14-2016 01:58 PM

Placement rates at UT Austin are excellent, as long as you stay in to the end. It is only very competitive if you restrict yourself to a few chapters. Be open to every chapter and presuming you have the grades and some social skills you should be fine.

KDCat 03-14-2016 02:27 PM

Don't pay attention to tent talk. It is particularly vicious at Texas, but all of the chapters are terrific.

jolene 03-14-2016 08:16 PM

As KDCat said, don't listen to tent talk and go with where you fit/click best.

summergal 03-15-2016 02:14 AM

I was unsure of rushing since I do not have a 3.5 gpa since I took some hard classes and did not do too well for example calculus and biosciences, but I have above a 3.0. I am still pretty open minded just so I can experience formal recruitment and have no what ifs

summergal 03-15-2016 02:15 AM

And btw what is tent talk? does it have to do with the tents in front of each house?

Jill1228 03-15-2016 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summergal (Post 2407073)
And btw what is tent talk? does it have to do with the tents in front of each house?

"Tent talk" is idle gossip and nasty rumours. Take it with a grain of salt

DubaiSis 03-15-2016 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summergal (Post 2407073)

It's the talk that happens in those tents before each party. "This is the best house on campus." "This house is the worst on campus." "I heard they're about to get closed." "My sister's friend is a Delta Nu at UCLA and said this house has actual hookers in it!" "This is the drug house." "This house will only pledge you if you're blonde." "This house has a scale under the welcome mat." "If the president introduces herself to you, then you're getting cut." "If the president introduces herself to you then you are definitely in." "This house hazes."

If you are one of the girls standing out front waiting to get in, you don't know jack about squat, regardless of what you think you know. Keep it to yourself and seriously try to not let the negative and sometimes seriously nasty stuff interfere with your process. They're all good; they all have positive and negative qualities and they all have a range of girls. And nobody is a hooker, nobody has slept with the whole football team, all of the houses (sadly) have girls with drug and alcohol problems and none of them are pervasive problems. They all have great grades and have a few members who just can't seem to get it together. Just like your friends in real life. No one is perfect.

summergal 03-15-2016 03:57 PM

and as you said the placement rate is pretty good? So as long as i stick it through ill maybe have a shot at being at one of these great houses hopefully

KDCat 03-15-2016 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summergal (Post 2407112)
and as you said the placement rate is pretty good? So as long as i stick it through ill maybe have a shot at being at one of these great houses hopefully

There are no guarantees, but that is the idea.

LadyLonghorn 03-15-2016 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summergal (Post 2407072)
I was unsure of rushing since I do not have a 3.5 gpa since I took some hard classes and did not do too well for example calculus and biosciences, but I have above a 3.0. I am still pretty open minded just so I can experience formal recruitment and have no what ifs

You'll need to be a lot more than "pretty open minded." Your 3.0 college GPA is not competitive for a sophomore in UT recruitment. The average UT sorority GPA is usually above a 3.4, and even the "worst" house GPA is usually around a 3.2. Grades are a really competitive thing and there are many chapters that will immediately drop you because of your GPA. You need to be prepared for this reality and understand that any sorority that invites you back is interested in you. Get your LOSes lined up, be yourself, stay open minded and keep a positive attitude.

summergal 03-15-2016 06:57 PM

Yeah that's what I was worried about but i guess I can't change my gpa that is above the CAP which is 3.2 but a little below 3.5

AZTheta 03-15-2016 07:27 PM

Take a deep breath. You can't change your GPA. So, change the things you can change. Do lots of reading in the recruitment forum - it's a gold mine of tips and ideas. Prepare as best as you can, and let the chips fall where they may. Good luck to you!

summergal 03-16-2016 12:03 AM

And another question do we have to be registered for recruitment at the university before we can send in our letters of reccomendation or the recommendation form to each house? or will they figure out that the recommendation will be attached to me after i register with my university?