GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Looking for Rec Letters (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=246377)

lobrien98 07-30-2019 02:28 PM

Looking for Rec Letters
 
Hi Everyone!
My name is Lauren and I will be rushing a sophomore at The University of Texas!

carnation 07-30-2019 02:49 PM

Lauren, the idea is to have women who know you write recs. Or women who know women who know you. We don't know what your character is like!

lobrien98 07-30-2019 02:53 PM

I am just looking for women to get in contact with to learn more about those sororities:) I come from a family that doesn't have experience with formal recruitment and I just wanted to ask everyone I can! But thank you for the advice, I will try and reach out more locally!

andthen 07-30-2019 02:57 PM

Also to add if you do a google search you might find some previous posts on how to go about getting rec letters. Best of luck at Texas.

lobrien98 07-30-2019 03:00 PM

Thank you! I will definitely read more about it

AZTheta 07-30-2019 03:50 PM

lobrien98, go check out the sororities subreddit. There's some info there about rush and recs. In this forum, there's a boatload of info on obtaining recs in the recruitment forum.

Best of luck to you!

KSUViolet06 07-30-2019 04:58 PM

Get in touch with your local ALUMNAE PANHELLENIC.

They are literally working all spring to help girls get them.

Disclaimer: it may be too late as many of them have JUNE deadlines, but it can't hurt to ask.




AnchorAlumna 07-30-2019 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 (Post 2467987)
Get in touch with your local ALUMNAE PANHELLENIC.
They are literally working all spring to help girls get them.
Disclaimer: it may be too late as many of them have JUNE deadlines, but it can't hurt to ask.

Texas may have an alumnae panhellenic at every road crossing, but they are quite rare elsewhere. A lot of them don't want to do anything with recs, and won't help PNMs.

Titchou 07-31-2019 06:58 AM

Ask your teachers, coaches,employers, friends, friends' parents, SS teachers, etc. And when you find one, ask if she knows members of the other groups you needs recs for. Greek women know other Greek wome

TXDG 08-01-2019 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lobrien98 (Post 2467972)
Hi Everyone!
My name is Lauren and I will be rushing a sophomore at The University of Texas!

Texas rush starts in 18 days. If you do not have recs for over half the chapters in campus (OR if you were not a 4.0 GPA freshman on Texas Pom and multiple freshmen leadership roles), I would highly recommend withdrawing from rush. Most chapters follow a “once cut, always cut” rule so if you don’t have a rec, they’re going to cut you and never consider you for membership ever again.

You need to put your best foot forward. If you can’t, I would strongly reconsider fall formal rush and wait for COB opportunities or junior year.

I recommend posting to your Facebook and tagging your mom / grandmas saying you have decided to go through sorority recruitment at UT this month and are seeking recommendation letters from alumnae from the following chapters: (and then list all the UT chapters you don’t have a rec from yet). Ask people to DM you if they’re able to help!

You never know who you might know that is Greek. A friend’s mother, a former teacher, a neighbor, your mom’s best friend from childhood. Cast a wide net quickly and see what you can find this week. Do you have ANY friends on campus who are in a sorority?

Hopefully you have your high school and freshman year transcripts, rush resume, & headshot ready to go in case you find women you know to help. And please don’t forget a hand written thank you note!

lobrien98 08-01-2019 11:16 PM

Yes! I went to high school in Austin and I have know around 1-3 people in almost all the houses! I have pretty good GPA considering I just transferred from another college and I also found out about my admission to UT very late in June so I have been hurrying to find the last two recommendation letters but I also think that I have made a lot of progress in the last 5 weeks! Rushing as a sophomore I know that UT has a quota for each house and I am hoping for the best outcome:) I know Texas rush is very competitive but I am trying to stay confident about my chances! Thanks for all the advice!!

FSUZeta 08-02-2019 06:38 AM

I am so glad you are almost done with your recs! Rushing as a sophomore at Texas is doable. Just be open to any of the amazing chapters there.

TXDG 08-02-2019 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lobrien98 (Post 2468058)
Yes! I went to high school in Austin and I have know around 1-3 people in almost all the houses! I have pretty good GPA considering I just transferred from another college and I also found out about my admission to UT very late in June so I have been hurrying to find the last two recommendation letters but I also think that I have made a lot of progress in the last 5 weeks! Rushing as a sophomore I know that UT has a quota for each house and I am hoping for the best outcome:) I know Texas rush is very competitive but I am trying to stay confident about my chances! Thanks for all the advice!!

You’re in good shape then! Have you thought about asking the girls you know in those last 2 chapters who wrote their recs? (Or have your mom call their moms to get around “silence”)

Good luck!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.