GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Being dropped while pledging (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=216514)

rileykae 03-29-2016 10:39 PM

Being dropped while pledging

Not sure if this should go in this thread, but I'm just curious - I was given a bid to a local sorority this past spring and I was recently dropped during my pledge process three weeks in on the grounds of 'our personalities just weren't meshing' and 'we feel you're not the right fit for us at this time' - is this a common thing in Greek life?

Since being dropped I've picked up more hours at work and will probably never considering trying to go Greek again, as I'll be a junior next year.

IndianaSigKap 03-29-2016 10:41 PM

Local sororities can pretty much do what they want since they have no national organization with rules they have to follow. Sorry that this happened to you.

KerriMarie 03-29-2016 11:08 PM

They're not doing a good job during recruitment then, because that is when both parties involved should be figuring out best fit. Sorry that happened to you.

AZTheta 03-29-2016 11:26 PM

I am so confused!

9/25/2015 (can't quote since the thread is closed/locked) you wrote "I was offered a bid, which I am accepting...to join Crowley - who's also known as
Phi Sigma Sigma Rho Sorority!"

2/5/2016:
Quote:

Originally Posted by rileykae (Post 2404431)
Update: we have decided to go inactive for the semester, the sorority as a whole is not holding rush and we are just trying to focus on our bonding as sisters. We are also meeting with our school's greek advisors to see what they think should happen as far as our organization staying on campus or going defunct (in which case I would be trying PHC next year again at some point probably).

3/29/2016
Quote:

Originally Posted by rileykae (Post 2408070)
I disaffliated with the sorority shortly before spring semester started in order to consider my school's panhel informal recruitment.

But in this thread today you say you got a bid this spring from a local (not last fall?) and you were asked to depledge/you were dropped ... honestly my head is spinning trying to figure out what's happening. Did you get a bid from an NPC sorority after disaffiliating (or whatever) from the local? If you could clarify, I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd appreciate it.

rileykae 03-30-2016 02:41 AM

in reply to AZTheta

AZTheta,

Yeah, fall 2015 I pledged and activated into Phi Sigma Sigma Rho (one of my school's multicultural sororities) and disaffiliated (due to drama/infighting/extenuating circumstances)in early January before spring semester 2016 began.

since I disaffiliated from PhiSig before informal recruitment started I was allowed to participate per my school's greek rules - I was able to go through spring 2016 informal recruitment, and was offered a bid from my school's other local sorority in mid February after four night of events and preference.

I began the pledge process at the end of February and was dropped/asked to depledge March 21st, allowing an extra week for spring break, making me halfway through the process.

I'm sorry, I probably should have stated all of this on one thread, I would have gone back and corrected it on the supernatural recruitment thread but it would have been painfully obvious as to which school I attend (well either way it is now) and I was just trying to prevent identification among people at my school that may use this site in case someone wanted to blackmail or something bad like that.

AZTheta 03-30-2016 10:57 AM

Thank you, rileykae, for clarifying - I didn't pick up on the second local sorority membership (information gap), and FWIW I have no clue whatsoever where you are going to school. As for people blackmailing you - good grief, I cannot even begin to imagine anything like that occurring over sorority membership and certainly hope that isn't the case in your situation.

Not that I'm not confused, please listen: you've had a rough go of it with the locals. Do you think that anything is different or has changed to the extent that you might consider trying one more time for an NPC? Is that something you even want now? Perhaps these experiences have soured you to the point that you are finished with GLOs?

We've said this before to others: Greek life at the collegiate level is not for everyone. You might have done very well at another school because there is so much variability from campus to campus (I would NOT have joined a sorority had I been at Cal Berkeley, for example!). However, at your current school it's not playing out for you, and I'm sincerely sorry that it's been so negative. I hope that you will find a niche in your remaining time at college. These are honest sentiments. Most of your life is ahead of you and there are many, many fine organizations that need and deserve membership support.

I wish you the best.

Sororitysock 03-30-2016 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZTheta (Post 2408102)
Thank you, rileykae, for clarifying - I didn't pick up on the second local sorority membership (information gap), and FWIW I have no clue whatsoever where you are going to school. As for people blackmailing you - good grief, I cannot even begin to imagine anything like that occurring over sorority membership and certainly hope that isn't the case in your situation.

Not that I'm not confused, please listen: you've had a rough go of it with the locals. Do you think that anything is different or has changed to the extent that you might consider trying one more time for an NPC? Is that something you even want now? Perhaps these experiences have soured you to the point that you are finished with GLOs?

We've said this before to others: Greek life at the collegiate level is not for everyone. You might have done very well at another school because there is so much variability from campus to campus (I would NOT have joined a sorority had I been at Cal Berkeley, for example!). However, at your current school it's not playing out for you, and I'm sincerely sorry that it's been so negative. I hope that you will find a niche in your remaining time at college. These are honest sentiments. Most of your life is ahead of you and there are many, many fine organizations that need and deserve membership support.

I wish you the best.

There are only two NPC sororities at her school. Given that she's been through recruitment multiple times in different formats for them, I think her self-assessment is spot on. It's probably better to get involved in other activities of interest instead.

Alpha O 03-31-2016 06:43 PM

I'm really sorry that this happened to you. This certainly isn't common in NPC sororities, but local sororities can play by any rules they wish. However, if the local chapter on your campus does this with regularity, then they're not recruiting correctly.

Keep your head up, though. From your signature, it sounds like you're already part of at least one organization on your campus that makes you feel at home. Don't be afraid to join others. Greek Life can be an amazing experience, but (like AZTheta said) it's not for everyone, and it's not the be-all and end-all of a great college experience. I had similar experiences of close bonding on a competitive team and a service organization that I was a part of. Your college experience is what you make of it, and there are plenty of ways to find your niche on campus.

Take chances and do things you're excited about! :)

robinseggblue 03-31-2016 08:19 PM

That sounds horrible and demoralizing. I can't believe that an organization would have the heart to do that to a new member. I'm so sorry.

I hope you are open to other opportunities on campus. Are there any service GLOs on your campus, like APO or OPA? I was never a member, but some of my friends had amazing experiences in APO, so that's why that came to mind.

Definitely look at other groups on campus. I'm sure your campus has tons!

rileykae 04-02-2016 02:36 AM

As far as I know, the few service orgs on campus have very low membership (as in only five or so people) and I've already looked into them, finding they weren't the right fit. As far as only having two NPCs on my campus, for certain reasons I'm not comfortable sharing, I am deciding that perhaps I should not try for them in the future.

For right now, I'm comfortable with my honour society and the opportunities that presents on campus, although I'm trying something new at the same time in a completely different sense.

Although what I'm about to say will take the post in a different direction, I'd still like input and I'll try to explain myself clearly. (if need be I can create a new thread somewhere else, just let me know).

Since going through formal recruitment for the very first time at my original university in fall '14, I have always imagined what it would be like to have a greek organisation (though obviously non-academic, more service/philanthropy based) COMPLETELY based online - membership through surveys and merit rather then grades and recruitment.

Being so, I've began to put together the beginnings of Lambda Xi Pi - the first online co-ed greek organisation.

Keep in mind I'm still trying to just things started, so what appears is still being thought out and is under construction.

robinseggblue 04-02-2016 11:20 AM

If you're looking for organizations with online chapters, I think I've read somewhere that Beta Sigma Phi has online chapters.

Joining an existing organization with an already existing infrastructure is much more efficient than making your own organization...which may not get the interest you are expecting. I understand this would be a labor of love...but not sure that this is a great use of your limited time.

I'll PM you with some more specific points.

rileykae 04-02-2016 12:13 PM

Thank you robinseggblue for the input - I've already looked into the non-collegiate sororities and have emailed most of them inquiring as to their process for joining/more information about them since all this at the college level just doesn't seem to be working. I'm just waiting for someone to email me back. :)

I guess my idea was admittedly spur the moment thing despite thinking about it for a few years, but because it would be internet based I would be able to sustain it far beyond my college years, as I'd always have access to it. I'm in the midst of drafting a constitution for it and working out the different sections, but if all else fails and it doesn't gain members/a following I have it to host posts about the joys of bonding through experiences and a world full of volunteer opportunities so I can still provide a sense of change for those that would wish to take part in it.

DGTess 04-02-2016 06:33 PM

Honest curiosity - I wonder what you'd get for sisterhood with a completely online organization.

Sure, you'd meet some of your sisters at some point. But isn't the point of a sisterhood interacting with people? Living with them (collegiate), volunteering with them, planning with them, etc.?

irishpipes 04-02-2016 08:22 PM

Why not just have a chat board about volunteering (volunteerchat?). I don't understand the point of attaching Greek letters and flowers/symbols/etc. And what was the point of singling out non-discrimination toward the LGBT community? You didn't single out any other "group" as examples of non-discrimination, so why that one?

DeltaBetaBaby 04-02-2016 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishpipes (Post 2408325)
Why not just have a chat board about volunteering (volunteerchat?). I don't understand the point of attaching Greek letters and flowers/symbols/etc. And what was the point of singling out non-discrimination toward the LGBT community? You didn't single out any other "group" as examples of non-discrimination, so why that one?

Many others are protected by law. LGBT is not, at least not federally.