GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Risk Management - Hazing & etc. (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Do you think your organization's risk management policies go overboard? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=81904)

Kevin 10-27-2006 01:55 PM

Do you think your organization's risk management policies go overboard?

Are your organization's risk management policies overboard or overbroad?

AlphaFrog 10-27-2006 02:08 PM

No stringing for Bigs because the pledges having to go up & down & through the house unwinding yarn could be hazing. Please.:rolleyes:
(Although we can thank the DU whose Big strung out the window and through the basketball hoop for that campus policy.)

Drolefille 10-27-2006 02:46 PM

Our chapter was very sensible about it.. we've done unwinding yarn and such. The only real annoyance was the fun scavenger hunts we did (where everyone participated) they became "everyone goes and takes pictures of different things and we all meet at Ted Drewes" events instead.

adpiucf 10-27-2006 02:49 PM

ADPi considers requiring anything of the new members outside of the approved new member education plans/all-chapter requirements to be hazing. So unless the entire chapter is invited to participate or it is an all-Greek Panhellenic sponsored event like New Member 101, it could be seen as hazing according to our view.

raymondcartoun 11-15-2006 05:54 PM

Can you really be too careful about risk management and rules? If an incident happens that does violate a policy, its bad enough. But at least disciplinary action can be taken to save the reputation of other members and chapters. THe reality is having rules in place to protect members' and the overall organization's safety and reputation does not interfere with the ability to have a good time. Bonds between members can still be just as strong.

Sailboat Sis 11-15-2006 07:54 PM

Overboard, big time

How about no pictures that even insinuate drinking on Facebook. No styrofoam cups, no Solo cups, anything. Regardless of whether or not you're in letters or over 21.

Also, we are no longer allowed to share function costs with other sororities or fraternities... i.e. no mixers. Even a "date party" with XYZ is pushing it apparently.

33girl 11-16-2006 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailboat Sis (Post 1358069)
Also, we are no longer allowed to share function costs with other sororities or fraternities... i.e. no mixers. Even a "date party" with XYZ is pushing it apparently.

I know that you can't buy alcohol, but are you saying you can't even buy non-alc bevvies or food or help pay for the rent of wherever you're holding it?

SigKapSweetie 11-16-2006 10:12 AM

I thought they were a little strict my first year, but after being on exec I was grateful for anything that helped cover our butts legally.

DSTCHAOS 11-16-2006 11:09 AM

No.

It is my organization's responsibility to keep over 900 chapters and over 200K members in check. They are doing what they need to do to account for every contingency that they can account for beforehand.

Sailboat Sis 11-16-2006 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 1358345)
I know that you can't buy alcohol, but are you saying you can't even buy non-alc bevvies or food or help pay for the rent of wherever you're holding it?

Yes, we cannot buy alcohol, but that has been around forever. However, when we host a function, we must pay 100% of the cost. So say we have a "date party/mixer" with XYZ, we foot 100% of the bill for the location, food, etc.

I do want to say that I do not believe our Nationals is the problem. They are simply doing everything possible to cover us and themselves from a lawsuit. It is the insurance provider and our society that have made policies too strict.

Not that insurance even matters. If one girl is found to have consumed alcohol while underage, we would lose our insurance coverage.

33girl 11-16-2006 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailboat Sis (Post 1358389)
Yes, we cannot buy alcohol, but that has been around forever. However, when we host a function, we must pay 100% of the cost. So say we have a "date party/mixer" with XYZ, we foot 100% of the bill for the location, food, etc.

A date party I understand (in my vernacular a date party is where sisters invite dates from several fraternities or perhaps not from a fraternity at all and therefore you are the sole hostesses), but I don't understand the rationale of making you pay all the costs for a co-sponsored mixer. It seems as though it would put you at more risk, rather than less.

Sailboat Sis 11-16-2006 11:50 AM

We have to change our vocabulary to "date party" when we have what is really a "mixer." Mixer implies that the cost is shared. I do not understand the logic either. Also, what was formerly called a "date party/cocktail," where sisters invite dates, must now be referred to as a "hangout."

33girl 11-16-2006 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailboat Sis (Post 1358406)
We have to change our vocabulary to "date party" when we have what is really a "mixer." Mixer implies that the cost is shared. I do not understand the logic either. Also, what was formerly called a "date party/cocktail," where sisters invite dates, must now be referred to as a "hangout."

A hangout? That sounds as though you are all going to wear skimpy tops and go without bras, LOL. And of course mixer implies the cost is shared...that's the point...

No offense to SSS, but that's some of the dumbest RM stuff I've ever heard in my life. Keep making the sisters pay for everything, and eventually there won't be money to have any more social events of any kind. Oh, wait...ding ding ding...we have a winner.

Sailboat Sis 11-16-2006 12:46 PM

Whatever the intention, that is how a lot of girls have taken it.

Elephant Walk 12-12-2006 10:27 AM

Yes, it goes way overboard.