GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Grant Sikes, transgender ‘main character of Bama Rush,’ cut from every sorority (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=248222)

ASTalumna06 08-17-2022 04:22 PM

Grant Sikes, transgender ‘main character of Bama Rush,’ cut from every sorority

I didn't want to hijack the Alabama recruitment thread in case this turned into a larger discussion, so I'm posting it here.

https://www.al.com/news/2022/08/gran...outputType=amp

Quote:

Grant Sikes, a transgender student at University of Alabama, was cut from every sorority during rush last week.

The student, who TikTok users named “the main character of Bama Rush,” announced that she was dropped from the Panhellenic process in a TikTok posted last week.

“It is extremely upsetting and I’m sad because I wanted to be part of a sisterhood and more than that, a community,” said Sikes, who was cut before the final round of rush.

Cookiez17 08-17-2022 04:27 PM

I watched his recruitment process when Bama rush tok started up again. At first I legit thought he was making outfits based on whatever round it was for fun. But he was rushing, and even got to sisterhood round before getting dropped from the process.

carnation 08-17-2022 04:59 PM

The consensus seems to be that he had been living as a gay man and only rushed to get likes on his social media. Also, his grades apparently sucked and he had an arrest record and a lot of Bama people were talking about how racist he is.

Titchou 08-17-2022 05:01 PM

He's been living as gay and just did the trans thing for recruitment....not the same

SigmaCat 08-17-2022 07:33 PM

Poor grades? She's lucky she got any invitations then. Arrest record? LOL. Racist? No thanks. And then there's the whole "farming rush and creating drama for likes and follows" thing. If you value sisterhood, stop exploiting it and invest some effort in COB. Somebody ask her if she's down with "bottom house."

33girl 08-17-2022 07:42 PM

The main character? Do these idiots on tiktok know rush is people’s lives and not some random show?

Cookiez17 08-17-2022 08:30 PM

A lot of people on the app either have never heard of greek life or their knowledge comes from that one ADPi doorchant that went viral a while back.

TLLK 08-18-2022 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnation (Post 2491056)
The consensus seems to be that he had been living as a gay man and only rushed to get likes on his social media. Also, his grades apparently sucked and he had an arrest record and a lot of Bama people were talking about how racist he is.

Well with poor grades, an arrest record and reported racist behavior, I can see why Grant would not have been extended a bid. That's too much of a risk for any chapter.

Sen's Revenge 08-18-2022 10:13 AM

I literally did not know that this was for real.

ASTalumna06 08-18-2022 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnation (Post 2491056)

Is there proof of any of this, or are these just rumors? I can't find anything online.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2491061)
The main character? Do these idiots on tiktok know rush is people’s lives and not some random show?

But the PNMs are putting themselves out there on TikTok. What would they expect to happen?

carnation 08-18-2022 12:32 PM

Several people in the know have put it out there about his grades and the rest. No names.

*winter* 08-18-2022 04:40 PM

With the way Bama Rush has blown up on TikTok, I suspect some social media influencer types will go through just for the added views and followers (or whatever they’re called on TT I’m old!). I suspect this Grant person is one of them. It’s a really easy to just slide your name and profile information into the national media spotlight.

SMUSweetheart 08-18-2022 07:26 PM

He just went on TikTok and said that he is not transgender, he is not nonbinary, and he identifies as a male. Maybe it’s just me but I don’t understand why he didn’t clarify this before sorority recruitment and I hate to sound unkind but I think the reason is attention. He knew he wouldn’t get a bid and he continues on with all of this for attention and followers. It is a whole big mess and it’s a shame that it’s reflecting negatively on the Panhellenic system.

Titchou 08-18-2022 08:26 PM

I don't see that it reflects negatively on PH. He lied. He had invites. He got dropped. EOS.

*winter* 08-18-2022 11:17 PM

Ugh. What a fiasco!

I don’t think it reflects negatively for PH though. They took him at his word when he filled out the application and gave him a chance. That’s what you’re supposed to do: when someone tells you their gender identity, believe it and respect them. Take them as they are presenting themselves. That’s what everyone did.

There’s only one person who comes off looking really bad here.