GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   IMPORTANT QUESTION (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=1902)

Wendy 01-17-2000 08:37 PM

IMPORTANT QUESTION

I am writing a sociology paper for graduate school on rushing and the impact on students. I am highlighting sorority rush since it is taking place at Ohio State (where I am located for Grad School). Please email me any rush stories from pledges, actives or alumni. I was also wanting to know the process each house goes through when selecting new members...NO NAMES or GREEK LETTERS should be mention menaing I do NOT want to know they house you are in etc. Thank you very much for you help. My email address is Wendygomgt@aol.com

Sincerely WENDY

wendy 01-18-2000 01:38 AM

Please please please email me these. It does not matter the school you attend etc. I really need to info.
Sincerely
Wendy

AKAtude 01-18-2000 09:09 AM

I don't mean to offend anyone, but why can't people who are writing papers just go to the source on their campus? I got my undergraduate degree in journalism and if I was writing a paper/article on something, I approached the people I needed to speak with to get the information I wanted. I let them know what I was writing about, and most of the time they were very cooperative (members of the greek community included).

Wendy 01-19-2000 07:22 PM

The reason why I do not go to the "source" (Greek Commuity) at OSU is because I do not want to know the house personally so as to write the paper with no sense of bias what so ever...it would be hard to do that on your own campus as the only way to physically tell if someone is greek is to see if they are wearing letters or call the house etc...no the WPA has not been helpful to me on campus as far as giving me a list of phone numbers without the house info etc...as they said it is a violation of privacy regulations...Anyhow I do thank those of you who did email me and hope to hear from some more people...
Sincerely,
Wendy

AKAtude 01-19-2000 07:52 PM

Whatever....

PenguinTrax 01-20-2000 08:44 AM

You could ask them not to wear any identifying letters and give them the option of using a pseudonym.

Alternately, you could travel to a nearby campus and interview members there.

33girl 01-21-2000 09:33 AM

Wendy, PnguinTrax has some good ideas about going to another school or using pseudonyms. Maybe you could explore the difference between Greek life at a small school and at a large school.

I do agree with what AKAtude said but I can also understand why the Greeks at OSU are gun-shy. There was a really hideous piece of yellow journalism in Rolling Stone this fall about sorority life at OSU and they all came off looking terrible. If I were in any of the Greek organizations there, I’d sue them for libel (or is that slander?).

BSUPhiSig'92 01-25-2000 07:26 PM

Having done graduate work, it doesn't seem like a very effective way to conduct a study by asking for blind responses from who knows where. If you read some of the postings on this site, you will see that there are persons who claim to be something other than what they really are (e.g. female when actually male). I think you should discuss your research technique with your thesis adviser. It may save you a lot of misery in the long run.

[This message has been edited by BSUPhiSig'92 (edited January 25, 2000).]

Wendy 01-26-2000 03:22 AM

33girl...there was an article in rolling stones about Ohio State greek life....it is very small here considering our size and I am quite suprised...anyhow I took everyone's advice called all of the houses and left my number for those to call and set up an appt anonymously....everything has worked out great...thanks for everyones help....I am very interested in hearing more about this article...