GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Transfer who hasn't rushed.. (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=101255)

blove 11-21-2008 11:57 PM

Transfer who hasn't rushed..

So I'm a transfer, but I missed Fall Rush (our formal rush). I really want to rush in the Spring, but I'm not sure if I should, just because this seems pretty "late in the game" to do so.
Also, my parents said they would only pay for the sorority fees if I live in the house. At our school, transfers are guaranteed to live in the house their 4th year, but if I rush in the Spring, would that still count? Or would it be only if I did earlier in the fall.. If not.. I don't think I can pay for the fees on my own :(

Any help?

KSUViolet06 11-22-2008 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blove (Post 1747338)
So I'm a transfer, but I missed Fall Rush (our formal rush). I really want to rush in the Spring, but I'm not sure if I should, just because this seems pretty "late in the game" to do so.

Also, my parents said they would only pay for the sorority fees if I live in the house. At our school, transfers are guaranteed to live in the house their 4th year, but if I rush in the Spring, would that still count? Or would it be only if I did earlier in the fall.. If not.. I don't think I can pay for the fees on my own :(

Any help?

As far as whether you should or not, only you can determine that. I always say that it never hurts to try. You'll never know if you'll get a bid if you don't rush. We can't tell you for sure whether you'll get a bid or not, but it's worth a try. Even if you don't get a bid, you'll still get the chance to meet new people at your school.

As for the dues/fees and housing, I don't know for sure because I don't go to your school. I would double check this with someone in Greek Life at your school.

A word of advice about finances: I always tell girls to make sure that a sorority is something that they can realistically afford to commit to BEFORE they go through any rush. Talk to mom/dad and see what they are willing to pay, what you can afford to pay, etc. and make sure you can afford it. It is a significant financial commitment.

jessipoo915 11-22-2008 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 (Post 1747339)
I always tell girls to make sure that a sorority is something that they can realistically afford to commit to BEFORE they go through any rush. Talk to mom/dad and see what they are willing to pay, what you can afford to pay, etc. and make sure you can afford it.

I agree, I'm not sure this is stressed enough when going through recruitment. We had new members drop this semester due to the fact that they decided they couldn't afford it; however, when there is a complete break down of dues that we viewed every time we came to the house I just don't think its a good excuse.

Kansas City 11-24-2008 03:05 PM

You should also consider if all houses are recruiting in the spring (informal rush?). Otherwise, you may want to wait until formal rush in the fall so that you can explore all of your options.

blove 11-24-2008 04:24 PM

well, i know for a fact that not all of the houses will be rushing in the spring. i don't think i will be rushing in the fall because it will be my senior year.. as much as i'd like to be apart of the sisterhood, i feel that rushing my senior year is too late..
thanks though (:

Kansas City 11-24-2008 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blove (Post 1748137)
well, i know for a fact that not all of the houses will be rushing in the spring. i don't think i will be rushing in the fall because it will be my senior year.. as much as i'd like to be apart of the sisterhood, i feel that rushing my senior year is too late..
thanks though (:

Bid chances as a senior will depend on your campus. You may have to decide between joining any organization vs. joining one you really want. Informal rush on some campuses can be more competitive than formal rush depending on the number of available spaces in each organization and the interested number of PNMs. Just don't let the term "informal" give you an inflated sense of security when it comes to receiveing a bid.

Just sayin' ... good luck whatever you decide. :)

blove 11-24-2008 08:13 PM

oh of course. if i don't like any of the houses in the spring i just won't rush. it's no fun to be a part of a house that you aren't completely comfortable with. thanks for replying (:

FSUZeta 11-25-2008 05:00 PM

why don't you sign up for recruitment and at least go to one event at each of the sororities that extend an invitation to you? you have nothing to lose, and may make a new friend, if not find your home away from home.

violetpretty 11-25-2008 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSUZeta (Post 1748524)
why don't you sign up for recruitment and at least go to one event at each of the sororities that extend an invitation to you? you have nothing to lose, and may make a new friend, if not find your home away from home.

Unless the registration fee is outrageous...

I know that if she can't afford the fee she can't afford to be in a sorority...that isn't my point. My point is knowingly throwing away a large sum of money when her chances as a senior may very well be slim to none. At some schools, the fee is $100 or more. A fine investment if you are a freshman or sophomore and stand a good chance of getting a bid somewhere, but a huge waste if you won't get a bid.

Maybe it's a leap of faith, but she did mention the sororities have houses. Houses=some amount of "traditional"=don't take seniors in my experience.

AXOrushadvisor 11-29-2008 12:05 PM

I think that if your University holds a spring recruitment I would go for it. It is usually way less competitive and not as stressful or time demanding. It will be difficult as a Senior. We rarely take Seniors unless they have 2 or more years left to participate in the house. If you do make sure you tell the girls that. The only strike against spring recruitment is usually not all the houses participate because they are at or above total (the total amount that a group is allowed to have in the Chapter) Some times it is only smaller Chapters or Chapters that are perceived as "weaker" that are participating. Good Luck!

Thetagirl218 11-30-2008 01:14 PM

Getting as a bid as an upper classman is all dependent on your campus environment. Some sororities will take a couple of upper classmen, but keep in mind that they are often focused on getting Freshman who will have a longer impact on the house.

It sounds like formal recruitment is during the fall for your school? Not all sororities will participate in informal recruitment in the spring, only those that need to reach quota.

Keeping all of that in mind, if joining a sorority is something you are serious about, then go for it! If you don't feel like it is the right decision or you don't get a bid, you can still have an awesome college experience!