GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2009/2010 Expansions/Colonies/Charters/Closures (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=105222)

SWTXBelle 05-24-2009 10:12 PM

I'm sure it's not a question of if, but when.

Smile_Awhile 05-24-2009 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAblondeGPhi (Post 1811806)
Wow... I clearly didn't scroll down all the way, Smile_Awhile! Sorry for the duplicate!!

No, thank you for the extra info! I was wondering how it happened, since I hadn't heard any chatter about UCLA being open for expansion!

SWTXBelle 05-24-2009 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smile_Awhile (Post 1811869)
No, thank you for the extra info! I was wondering how it happened, since I hadn't heard any chatter about UCLA being open for expansion!

Plus . . .good news is worth repeating!

GammaPhi88 05-24-2009 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by als463 (Post 1811844)
AGDee, I was looking at the Syracuse University Greek Life page and it said that they would not even consider discussing expansion until the fall of 2009. I'm hoping they open for expansion because, while I'm not an AGD and they don't have that GLO at Penn State, I can say I would LOVE to see AGD back at their Alpha Chapter! Do you think AGD will try their best to go back to Syracuse?

As a member of Syracuse greek life and Panhellenic, I know some of the details but not all. Recently, we voted to create an expansion committee, and will likely be voting on expansion during Fall 2009. Currently, the expansion committee is researching the pros and cons of expansion.

I am not a member of the expansion committee, but I am on Panhellenic, so here is what I can tell you.

Recruitment numbers have risen over the past few years. About five years ago, chapter total was 95 members when we counted fall total (we recalculate total each spring to allow for spring's new members), and this fall, it was 111. Spring total this year was about 150, rising from around 130 just a few years ago. However, while over 800 girls signed up for rush in the Spring of 2008 (when I rushed), just over 700 rushed around this year, which we chalked up to the economy. Quota in Spring 2008 was 48, and this year quota was 42. We placed around 560 girls last year out of around 850 (this is an estimate, I don't have the exact number in front of me right now), with a placement rate somewhere between 60 and 70 percent. This year, around 700 girls rushed, and we placed just under 500 girls, with a placement rate somewhere between 65 and 70 percent. My numbers are by no means exact, but take these as loose estimates.

So here are the pros and cons as I best know.

Pros
1. While less girls signed up for recruitment, the placement rate remained steady. All houses met quota with the exception of one house, though I cannot account for how many were initiated.
2. The chapters are getting to large for their houses. Smaller percentages of girls can live in their chapter houses than a few years ago, and I know my chapter's chapter room is stuffed, and we are not the only chapter to feel this way. There has also been a general complaint about the chapters being too big, and I've heard members complain that they feel lost among too many members. While Syracuse is a huge school, we are simply not set up for 200 member chapters. We don't have the resources, and while we are all lucky to have gorgeous houses, they are all on the smaller side and simply not big enough to house chapters as they grow at the rate they have grown in the past few years.
3. There is a sentiment that the excitement of a new chapter will stimulate interest in Greek Life, and will bring good PR to our community.
4. If we were to bring a house back, I would bet money that we would choose Alpha Gamma Delta (if not AGD I would say Chi Omega, but but that is a second by a long shot). If we were to bring AGD back, they would have a house and be on equal footing facilities wise with all the other chapters. Furthermore, there is alumni support in the area, as well as a strong national interest in bringing the Alpha chapter back. Thus, if we did vote to expand, we would have an interested sorority as a viable option.

Cons
1. The economy. We saw that Greek Life is not immune to the effects of this economic decline by any means. Less girls signed up for recruitment, and if the economy worsens, we may see more and more of a decline for Greek life. If the recruitment numbers continue to fall, we may not be able to support a new chapter.
2. Recently, Syracuse greek life has been met with a few risk management issues. The Panhellenic Council worries that the risk management issues, as well as subsequent negative PR that they have brought our community, may not provide a favorable environment for a new sorority.
3. Lastly, while we are growing, not all our chapters are at total. While there are a few chapters just one or two members under total (this is subject to change in the fall when we readjust total to accommodate for the graduation of the class of 2009), we do have one chapter that falls considerably under total and regularly holds a fall recruitment. Our worry is that while it is possible for a new chapter to give this chapter a leg up, it may further the struggles of this particular chapter.

This is as much as I can tell you. If anyone has more questions or questions that probe into issues that would not be in the best interests of myself or my campus to post on a public message board, feel free to PM me.

Lastly, the note on the greek page did apply to us, but I think it was more strongly directed to the IFC fraternities. We are up to about 18 fraternities, many of whom need considerable numbers, and time and time again there are men who wish to start up yet another chapter. But that is another issue for another day.

I hope my novel of a post helped.

33girl 05-25-2009 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GammaPhi88 (Post 1811893)
3. Lastly, while we are growing, not all our chapters are at total. While there are a few chapters just one or two members under total (this is subject to change in the fall when we readjust total to accommodate for the graduation of the class of 2009), we do have one chapter that falls considerably under total and regularly holds a fall recruitment. Our worry is that while it is possible for a new chapter to give this chapter a leg up, it may further the struggles of this particular chapter.

Do you know if this chapter's HQ has attempted to do an expansion rush (i.e. kinda like recolonization but the current members stay there) or give them any help with programming, or are they past that? (You can PM me if that's TMI. ;) )

LaneSig 05-26-2009 07:32 AM

The Sigma Alpha Mu chapter at Michigan State University has been closed due to "failure to meet the basic duties of a Sigma Alpha Mu Chapter".

http://www.sam.org/headlines.asp#Mu_Chi_Suspended

oldu 05-26-2009 04:30 PM

Sororities at U.C.L.A. all have very nice houses all in one row. Does anyone know if Alpha Chi still owns theirs, and which other inactive NPC groups still own houses. Buiding a new one there would probably be prohibitive.

exlurker 05-26-2009 04:40 PM

Delta Zeta or Kappa Delta? Dartmouth Decision Expected Soon

from Dartmouth's campus paper:

"The College’s Panhellenic Council voted Monday night on whether to invite Kappa Delta sorority or Delta Zeta sorority to join Dartmouth’s Greek system. The results will be announced Tuesday evening [that is, May 26, 2009], Panhell President Amaka Nneji ‘10 said . . . . Nneji declined to comment on which sorority was selected because she said Panhell wanted to inform the sororities before announcing the results to campus. The new sorority will be the eighth at the College. The sorority not chosen will likely be a top contender next time Panhell is interested in inviting a new sorority to campus, according to Jessica Lane ‘09, former Panhell president . . . ."

http://thedartmouth.com/2009/05/26/news/briefs/

OldAOPi 05-26-2009 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaneSig (Post 1807030)
Due to low numbers, the Chi Omega chapter at the University of Nebraska-Kearney was closed on April 27, 2009.

That makes me sad. I haven't been back to UNK or KSC as I remember it in awhile but does that just leave AOII, A Phi and Gamma Phi?

When I was there, they were trying to start a local as well (Kappa Sigma...something). (back in the late 70's)

We had decent sized chapters then - around 100 and XO had about that much then. Pledge classes were fairly even in the 30's - 40's.

AOII Angel 05-26-2009 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldAOPi (Post 1812262)
That makes me sad. I haven't been back to UNK or KSC as I remember it in awhile but does that just leave AOII, A Phi and Gamma Phi?

When I was there, they were trying to start a local as well (Kappa Sigma...something). (back in the late 70's)

We had decent sized chapters then - around 100 and XO had about that much then. Pledge classes were fairly even in the 30's - 40's.

From Irishpipes recruitment thread:

University of Nebraska at Kearney Kearney, NE: September 2-5, 2008
Quota=22
Campus Total=75
Quota last year=19
Alpha Xi Delta Delta Gamma 1962-1969
Chi Omega Iota Zeta 1962
Alpha Phi Delta Xi 1963 (23)
Gamma Phi Beta Gamma Kappa 1963
Delta Zeta Zeta Sigma 1963-1967
Alpha Omicron Pi Phi Sigma 1969 (22)

Looks like no one came on after AOII so that Kappa Sigma ? group didn't make it I guess.

aggieAXO 05-26-2009 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smile_Awhile (Post 1811705)
Alpha Chi is colonizing at UCLA this fall! http://info.theginsystem.com/websites/axo_ucla/

This will be a recolonization for us- UCLA had our Alpha Psi chapter. I'm not sure when that chapter closed, but I'm very excited that we'll be coming back!

I am glad that the UCLA chapter is finally coming back. I think the chapter closed in 98 and was suppose to recolonize 4 years later but due to low rush numbers never did. I hope we have more expansions this year as well.

OldAOPi 05-26-2009 09:41 PM

That's a lot lower chapter total averages - by at least 10. I think our local was Kappa Sigma Pi, kind of a take on KSC in a way, I suppose. Just guessing. They moved off the main campus to a more "pod" like structure in the 90's - so the four sororities were podded with fraternities, but away from the main hub on campus. We lived in dorms in the middle of campus when I was there - wonder if in the long run that made any difference?

Thanks for the research - I had forgotten about AZD and DZ ever being there.

OldAOPi 05-26-2009 09:42 PM

They meaning the remaining sororities, not the local!

DartmouthPanhel 05-27-2009 08:55 AM

Dartmouth Decision!!

Kappa Delta was selected and will be participating in formal recruitment in Fall 2009!!

Delta Zeta has been given and invitation to "stack" and be the next group on campus, likely in Fall 2011/2012. No word on if they are accepting this offer.

ta kala 05-27-2009 09:36 AM

So excited! We have just been exploding in the Northeast/New England!