GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek History (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   No longer in the NIC... (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=231019)

naraht 06-26-2017 08:53 AM

No longer in the NIC...

As a followup to my previous post about who has left the NIC (and the fact that Delta Epsilon Psi doesn't appear to be part of the NIC anymore.)

I'm trying to put together a list of groups which have been in the NIC and are no longer because they have merged with another NIC group. This will almost certainly end up as a longer list (if only due to all of the groups that have merged with ZBT...)

Tom Earp 06-26-2017 01:35 PM

Lambda Chi Alpha has pulled out! Cannot blame them at all!!!

shadokat 06-26-2017 01:39 PM

Phi Delta Theta and Kappa Sigma left too. I believe Phi Sigma Kappa left, but then came back.

naraht 06-28-2017 11:46 AM

This is more related to the previous thread... However, according to Wikipedia the following occured.
2002: Kappa Sigma, Phi Delta Theta and Phi Sigma Kappa left
2006: Phi Sigma Kappa rejoined.
2015: Lambda Chi Alpha left
2016: Tau Kappa Epsilon left

So currently Kappa Sigma, Lambda Chi Alpha, Phi Delta Theta and Tau Kappa Epsilon have left according to Wikipedia.

<strike>And now apparently Delta Epsilon Psi is no longer in the NIC, but I can't figure out what happened.</strike>

From Delta Epsilon Psi's facebook page.
a Epsilon Psi South Asian Fraternity Inc

January 24 ·
There is strength in unity.

Delta Epsilon Psi Fraternity, Inc. is more than just a Brotherhood, it is a movement. Since our inception on October 1st, 1998, we have worked towards the betterment of society not by our words, but by our actions. This movement has many moving parts to it, and an important one is unity. Our Brotherhood exemplifies our unity, but it goes beyond that. The Greek life community does not function without unity, in fact it is built on it. In an effort to strengthen the unity in the South Asian Community, Delta Epsilon Psi Fraternity, Inc. has decided to resign membership in the North-American Interfraternity Council (NIC) and is focusing our efforts to NAPA,National APIDA (Asian Pacific Islander Desi American) Panhellenic Association. Their recent commitment to the Desi community, aligns with the vision of our organization. We would like to thank NIC for their unwavering support. We look forward to strengthening our bond with National APIDA Panhellenic Association in the coming years.

CaliAggie 07-05-2017 06:38 PM

What exactly are the benefits and drawbacks of NIC membership? I imagine that the NIC provides educational programs and other services but I really don't know what they offer members that the national fraternities don't already have. I also imagine that the biggest drawback is paying NIC dues and maybe following guidelines or rules that not everyone agreees with... kind of like the conferences and the NCAA. But what else? Are the non-members barred from the IFC at their schools?

naraht 07-10-2017 01:40 PM

The following organizations were in the NIC in 1957 and weren't in the NIC in 2000:
Beta Sigma Rho
Kappa Nu
Phi Alpha
Phi Epsilon Pi
Phi Kappa
Phi Sigma Delta
Phi Sigma Epsilon
Theta Kappa Phi

(All of whom were mergers with other NIC groups.)

Tom Earp 07-15-2017 01:42 PM

Basically, the Fraternities felt NIC was not doing enough for the betterment for them!

CaliAggie 07-15-2017 07:49 PM

Is a NIC necessary? Serious question, not trying to be a wise guy. I'm all for sharing best practices and creating a shared positive culture across all fraternities at the national level but it is not very clear what the value of membership is, or the risks of disaffiliating with the NIC..

naraht 07-16-2017 02:12 PM

IMO, ranking the Greek Umbrella organizations in the degree to which an organization would be hurt by leaving the Umbrella organization.

My personal ranking: From most hurt to least...
National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) (Hist Black)
National Panhellenic Conference (NPC) (Sororities)
(large gap)
Professional Fraternity Association (PFA)
North-American Interfraternity Conference (NIC)
Association of College Honor Societies (ACHS)

naraht 01-04-2018 03:28 PM

Current List

This is the current list of Former NIC members

Alpha Kappa Pi
Merged with*Alpha Sigma Phi

Alpha Lambda Tau
Partially absorbed by*Tau Kappa Epsilon

Beta Kappa
Merged with*Theta Chi

Beta Sigma Rho
Merged with*Pi Lambda Phi

Delta Alpha Pi
Merged with*Phi Mu Delta

Delta Epsilon Psi

Delta Sigma Lambda
Merged with*Theta Chi

Kappa Nu
Merged with*Phi Epsilon Pi

Kappa Sigma

Lambda Chi Alpha

Omicron Alpha Tau
Merged with*Tau Delta Phi

Phi Alpha
Merged with*Phi Sigma Delta

Phi Beta Delta
Merged with*Pi Lambda Phi

Phi Delta Theta

Phi Epsilon Pi
Merged with*Zeta Beta Tau

Phi Kappa
Merged to create*Phi Kappa Theta

Phi Lambda Theta

Phi Pi Phi
Merged with*Alpha Sigma Phi

Phi Sigma Delta
Merged with*Zeta Beta Tau

Phi Sigma Epsilon
Merged with*Phi Sigma Kappa

Sigma Delta Rho

Sigma Lambda Pi

Sigma Mu Sigma
Merged with*Tau Kappa Epsilon

Sigma Phi Delta

Sigma Tau Phi
Merged with*Alpha Epsilon Pi

Tau Kappa Epsilon

Theta Kappa Nu
Merged with*Lambda Chi Alpha

Theta Kappa Phi
Merged to create*Phi Kappa Theta

Theta Upsilon Omega
Merged with*Sigma Phi Epsilon.

Tom Earp 01-05-2018 06:15 AM

Lambda Chi pulled out of NIC couple years ago!

naraht 01-05-2018 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Earp (Post 2450567)
Lambda Chi pulled out of NIC couple years ago!

Yup and is on the list.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North-...Former_members

*Most* of the groups in this list merged with other NIC groups (or fell apart) prior to 1960. A few GLOs don't easily fit into either the Social or Professional grouping and may have moved back and forth, with NIC membership occuring when then were more of a Social. However it appears that only since 2000 have there been fraternities that have made the decision of "We don't like what the NIC is doing and so even though paying dues to NIC wouldn't strain our budget, we just aren't going to be part of it anymore."

DaffyKD 01-05-2018 10:19 PM

it was my understanding per my father who was a member of Kappa Nu at Michigan, Kappa Nu merged with Zeta Beta Tau in the 1960's

DaffyKD

naraht 01-06-2018 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaffyKD (Post 2450644)
it was my understanding per my father who was a member of Kappa Nu at Michigan, Kappa Nu merged with Zeta Beta Tau in the 1960's

DaffyKD

No. Kappa Nu merged with Phi Epsilon Pi in 1961, which then merged with Zeta Beta Tau in 1970.

And Phi Alpha merged into Phi Sigma Delta in 1959, which merged into Zeta Beta Tau in 1969.

However Zeta Beta Tau says
"ZBT is a Brotherhood of Kappa Nu, Phi Alpha, Phi Epsilon Pi, Phi Sigma Delta and Zeta Beta Tau."

ZBT may have one of the most complicated merger histories of any GLO.

DaffyKD 01-08-2018 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naraht (Post 2450787)
No. Kappa Nu merged with Phi Epsilon Pi in 1961, which then merged with Zeta Beta Tau in 1970.

And Phi Alpha merged into Phi Sigma Delta in 1959, which merged into Zeta Beta Tau in 1969.

However Zeta Beta Tau says
"ZBT is a Brotherhood of Kappa Nu, Phi Alpha, Phi Epsilon Pi, Phi Sigma Delta and Zeta Beta Tau."

ZBT may have one of the most complicated merger histories of any GLO.

Thanks for the clarification. Seems Dad left out one step of the Kappa Nu mergers.

DaffyKD