GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Social (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   questions about pinning? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=2468)

simplejane 03-29-2001 10:27 PM

questions about pinning?

can someone explain what pinning is besides the giving of ones letters to another...i want to know what it MEANS in terms of where someone is in a relationship thanks

Demon Knight 06-03-2001 11:33 PM

Hello I will try and explain what pinning is. First of all pinning isn't giving ones letters to another. Pinning is giving an individual the oppertunity to become apart of your brotherhood by learning and participating in the membership orientation program. By pinning an individual its like saying we like you and we want you to be apart of us. let me know if that helps

fraternally,
Ricky

33girl 06-04-2001 12:02 AM

simplejane -

I'm not sure which kind you are asking about so I'll tell you about both kinds.

When a sorority or fraternity has a "pinning" ceremony for its new members, it is basically a formal ceremony recognizing their pledgeship. These are usually done after bid day cause bid day's often pretty informal.

When a fraternity man pins his girlfriend, it is basically the step before becoming engaged to be married. It's very serious, because they are saying this girl means as much to them as the fraternity.

Dianne 07-10-2001 07:53 PM

At my school, we call it lavaliering. You don't get your boyfriend's pin, but you get his letters on a chain. And it's a HUGE deal!

------------------
"Seek the noblest."
Zeta Love! <3

erniegurl00 07-11-2001 11:07 PM

At my school you can either be lavaliered or pinned. Actually I was tossing around the idea of pinning my bf, but I'm not sure if he'd like the idea of being pinned by a sorority. Usually I have heard of only fraternity men pinning their girlfriends, but maybe this is only at my school?

Butterfly419 07-13-2001 12:47 AM

Actually, I've never heard about sororities pinning a fraternity. In other words, I think the guy does the pinning and not the other way around. But, hey, I'm just letting you know how we do it at my school. Does anyone else know of it being done the other way around?

SLOTheta 07-16-2001 12:37 AM

Lavaliering: When you give a girl a necklace with your letters, usually after a year of dating, guys lavalier his girlfriend, then we have a candle pass.

Pinning: After a lavalier, it's the step before engagement. You give her either your fraternity pin, or some fraternities, like DSP and Sigma Chi have female versions of the pin, just for this purpose. We had a girl get pinned, and it was so touching, it's such a HUGE deal, it rarely happens, since Lavaliering is more common. Some fraternities allow the wearing of letters after a girl is pinned, most don't. Our girl wears her pin from her boyfriend when she wears her Theta badge.

Dejajeva 10-31-2001 12:05 PM

I think Lavaliering is the sweetest thing ever. I can't wait until one of our girls is Lavaliered, but I'm sure it's difficult, seeing as how none of them, except three of us, are dating fraternity guys.
lol

Jess

AlphaGam1019 10-31-2001 02:35 PM

Lavaliering is done only when the relationship is serious. I would hope no guy would just give away his letters...lol (even though I've been lavaliered twice) (twice's the charm)

I rarely see (at least so far) pinning. Lavaliering is usually pre-engagement...

The1calledTKE 10-31-2001 02:37 PM

Yep twice is a charm. The second is always the best.

jess_pom 10-31-2001 07:34 PM

Pinning

The way I always thought of pinning was that it was a step below engagement. Some fraternities don't lavalier, so they pin. If they do lavalier and pin, than it probably is a step below lavaliering.

AngelPhiSig 11-05-2001 01:06 PM

From my understanding, it goes:

lavilier
pinning
engagement

for fraternities who do both.... (like theta xi)

our one sister just got pinned to A Phi O! :)

ZetaLuvBunny 11-05-2001 03:49 PM

question about lavaliering----can we wear our sorority lavalier at the SAME TIME as we wear his? or do they have to be seperate? teehee I'm not even dating anyone right now but I'm just thinking about the future LOL

AlphaGam1019 11-05-2001 04:38 PM

someone asked this question before, ZetaLuvBunny.

http://130.94.21.174/gcforums/showth...&threadid=1656

I think most of us concluded that you should wear your bf's lavalier around your neck and find a sorority bracelet/charm bracelet to wear. It's really a matter of opinion. I guess some girls think of it as denying their sorority, which I don't think is the case.

kristiAZD 12-10-2001 04:10 PM

I'm lavaliered by my boyfriend, who is a Sig Ep, and I wear both my sorority lavalier and my Sig Ep lavalier. I don't, however, wear them on the same chain. I don't see any problem with it, I love both organizations equally as much. No one has ever told me that I shouldn't, so I see it as being ok.