GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Letters for GDI's (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=49188)

Adelphean1851 04-08-2004 01:29 AM

Letters for GDI's

does anybody else think that it would be remotely amusing if GDI's started wearing letters? I mean the actual letters Gamma Delta Iota not ours. In fact, I could see a whole line of amusing t-shirts spawning from it. Well amusing to the masses anyway... But maybe its just me...

azdtaxi 04-08-2004 01:30 AM

When independents put a team in one year for watermelon bust theny used gamma delta iota and those are on the back of that years tshirt

squashfly3 04-08-2004 01:37 AM

i think it would be pretty amusing...since generally GDIs are GDIs because they didn't want to be a part of the greek system. so it would be slightly hypocritcal for them to use letters....at least i think so.

deuika 04-08-2004 01:39 AM

Some do, but then again all GDI's aren't really GDI's...:confused:

Get what I'm saying?

I am CGDIACGDLI...Put that in letters.....

That would be one big ass shirt....tehetehetehe
:D

ShootingStar 04-08-2004 01:43 AM

funny that u mention that because not to long ago i came across a store for GDI apparel on cafepress.com haha if u all want the link i can find it later... :p

Rio_Kohitsuji 04-08-2004 10:03 AM

Heh...I remember when I had GDI in my sig.......ahh the old days...

Lady Pi Phi 04-08-2004 10:06 AM

We should all make our GDI friends shirts and see if the trend catches on ;) :D

alsparky 04-08-2004 10:36 AM

There were one or two people at my school who wore GDI letters. And one girl went by the nickname Bean, when the Greek clothing people came to campus, she had a BEAN T-shirt made. That was really cute!!

Allison

PrincessPhiSig 04-08-2004 11:05 AM

As most of my friends here at school aren't Greek, a group of my friends wanted to play intramural softball. Since they were one of two teams that weren't greek in the entire league, they called their team GDI and their shirts had those letters on it. I thought it was cute!

WCUgirl 04-08-2004 11:20 AM

One guy did that on my campus. He felt really stupid a few years later when a fraternity colonized and they wouldn't give him a bid 'cause everyone remembered him doing that.

kayla0deegee 04-08-2004 11:20 AM

there were some girls at my school who were GDI's and they hung out with the Pi Kapps a lot and they hated the "sorority girls" and went on and on about they would never join a sorority. but then they had those little paddle key chains that had GDI (in greek letters) on them and they made signs and hung them at their table in our cafateria that said : " WE LOVE THE PI KAPPS, GDI love and ours"
I thought it was really tacky seeing as how they flipped out about sorority girls. Isnt that defeating the purpose?

deuika 04-08-2004 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by AXiD670
One guy did that on my campus. He felt really stupid a few years later when a fraternity colonized and they wouldn't give him a bid 'cause everyone remembered him doing that.
The fraternity should feel stupid. Not extending someone a bid because they wore the letters GDI?
Ha, talk about idiotic.
People really need to get off the high horses, everyone was a GDI at one time or another. If you were born wearing letters, I'd seek counseling.

WCUgirl 04-08-2004 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by deuika
The fraternity should feel stupid. Not extending someone a bid because they wore the letters GDI?
Ha, talk about idiotic.
People really need to get off the high horses, everyone was a GDI at one time or another. If you were born wearing letters, I'd seek counseling.

Good point, but there's more to it than simply wearing letters. I know that he was very adamant about how anti-Greek he was. He was an RA and would flat-out say "I'm going to write you up because you're Greek" when the Greek guys in his dorm would violate a rule, whereas he wouldn't write non-Greek guys up for doing the same thing. Just little things like that. He also was in student government and tried to ban Greeks from being able to hang signs or post fliers advertising recruitment events or philanthropy events or even signs simply stating they support the football or basketball teams before a big game...but it was still okay for other clubs/organizations to post fliers and signs around campus.

However, I was not in the room when they voted whether or not to extend him a bid. But why would you want someone in your organization that had exhibited such a hatred toward members of your community before? I'm sure people can change, but maybe they didn't felt like he had. Perhaps a semester or two of trying to get to know the brothers and genuinely proving he was interested would have helped secure him a place in the brotherhood.

deuika 04-08-2004 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by AXiD670
Good point, but there's more to it than simply wearing letters. I know that he was very adamant about how anti-Greek he was. He was an RA and would flat-out say "I'm going to write you up because you're Greek" when the Greek guys in his dorm would violate a rule, whereas he wouldn't write non-Greek guys up for doing the same thing. Just little things like that. He also was in student government and tried to ban Greeks from being able to hang signs or post fliers advertising recruitment events or philanthropy events or even signs simply stating they support the football or basketball teams before a big game...but it was still okay for other clubs/organizations to post fliers and signs around campus.

However, I was not in the room when they voted whether or not to extend him a bid. But why would you want someone in your organization that had exhibited such a hatred toward members of your community before? I'm sure people can change, but maybe they didn't felt like he had. Perhaps a semester or two of trying to get to know the brothers and genuinely proving he was interested would have helped secure him a place in the brotherhood.

Thanks for the clarification, I was under the ASSumption that he just wore the letters GDI, which a lot of people do.

I heard of a situation like this at a school in CA, the guy was so against Greeks, then tried to become one. Needless to say he was dismissed.

squashfly3 04-08-2004 01:17 PM

i have sort of a random question for you all....
what does GDI actually mean? i feel like some of us may think that it has different meanings, so i just wanted to see what you all thought of it. thanks!