GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Homage to your GLO (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=44133)

MiAngel711 12-18-2003 08:46 PM

Homage to your GLO

I know most of you are familiar with the SNL skit that had the valley girlish "Delta Delta Delta, can I help ya, help ya, help ya". Its funny when I tell them I'm a tri-delta and they immediately need to quote said skit...well maybe not so funny after the millionth time.:rolleyes:

I was just wondering if how many movies, songs, or books pay some sort of homage to a GLO????

PKTKKG 12-18-2003 09:06 PM

There are many movies/tv shows that mention Kappa Kappa Gamma. Here are some I can think of right away:

Legally Blonde 2

Hello Again (Shelly Long sings "I'm so happy that I am a Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma")

Newhart (Julia Duffy tells one of the Daryls that she is a Kappa Kappa Gamma)

Sex and the City (Meanwhile...Charlotte was having lunch with the Kappa Kappa Gammas)

The Young and the Restless (they made two of the characters Kappas - one was a new girl on the show and the regular cast member saw her gold bar with K K G on it and said "oh and you're a Kappa"). This was right after I finished school in 1990.

Those are the only ones I can think of right off hand, but there may be more shows where Kappa is mentioned specifically.

Unregistered- 12-18-2003 09:16 PM

Most of us know that Rue McLanahan from the Golden Girls is a Kappa Alpha Theta. :)

But there's an episode of the GG where Blanche Devereaux goes on and on about her wonderful sorority years in Alpha Gamma Delta. :D

I'm guessing one of the writers at that time was an AGD?

MSKKG 12-18-2003 10:32 PM

Kate Jackson (a Kappa from my chapter!) said something about being a Kappa towards the end of an episode of "Scarecrow & Mrs. King." She didn't say "Kappa Kappa Gamma" but just "Kappa" to Lee.

The play "Vanities" is about 3 friends who are Kappas.

In addition to a couple PKTKKG mentioned, these are the only ones I can think of right now, too.

carnation 12-18-2003 10:44 PM

And in the play "Vanities", the girls sing a Pi Phi song, "The Girls of the Pi Beta Phi"!

PhiPsiRuss 12-18-2003 10:55 PM

Phi Kappa Psi

The Wizard of Oz uses Phi Kappa Psi ritual throughout the movie, but you'll never figure out how or where! ;)

Any documentary on JFK Jr. mentions the Phi Psis at Brown, where he was (re)colony president.

Breaking Away was written by a Phi Psi, and is based on a Phi Psi team that won the Little 500.

In the movie Animal House, the Omega house is the Phi Psi house at the University of Oregon.

OUlioness01 12-18-2003 10:57 PM

the movie and play Steel Magnolias was written about a Phi Mu...thus showing why pink and pink were the colors for "Shelby's" wedding

hannahgirl 12-18-2003 11:03 PM

On Happy Days....I believe that it was Potsie that pinned his Delta Gamma girlfriend ;)

Kevin 12-18-2003 11:51 PM

If you watch the background in the movie "Necessary Roughness" (a football movie based in a small Texas college), you'll see some Sigma Nu letters in the background during the final game.

Taualumna 12-19-2003 12:02 AM

A little off topic: Weren't a couple of scenes from the movie "Good Will Hunting" filmed outside one of U of T's frat houses? If so, which frat was it?

KillarneyRose 12-19-2003 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by OUlioness01
the movie and play Steel Magnolias was written about a Phi Mu...thus showing why pink and pink were the colors for "Shelby's" wedding
Don't you mean "bashful" and "blush"? ;) I love that movie :)

sugar and spice 12-19-2003 12:06 AM

Re: Homage to your GLO

Quote:

Originally posted by MiAngel711
I know most of you are familiar with the SNL skit that had the valley girlish "Delta Delta Delta, can I help ya, help ya, help ya". Its funny when I tell them I'm a tri-delta and they immediately need to quote said skit...well maybe not so funny after the millionth time.:rolleyes:

I was just wondering if how many movies, songs, or books pay some sort of homage to a GLO????

There's also the not-so-positive depiction of our Alabama chapter in the book "Eating the Chesire Cat."

Anne Rivers Siddons refers to Pi Phis and Kappas and KAs in "Heartbreak Hotel" (there are fleeting mentions in her other novels, too) -- although she never references KKG in particular; she always refers to them as simply "Kappas."

Senusret I 12-19-2003 12:50 AM

Alpha Phi Alpha was featured in the step show scene of "School Daze."

Apparently, Tim Reid's character on "Sister, Sister" was an Alpha, though I have never seen the episode in question. (I have seen no proof that he is a member, but his son definitely is.)

People wearing Alpha shirts were frequently seen in the backgound on "A Different World."

There was a short story called "Pledging Alpha" in the anthology Brotherman.

honeychile 12-19-2003 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by hannahgirl
On Happy Days....I believe that it was Potsie that pinned his Delta Gamma girlfriend ;)
Wasn't it Ritchie's Lori Beth?

The scariest book I ever read was called "Let's Go Play At The Adam's" and the main character was a Kappa Kappa Gamma. I think there are more references to Kappa than any other sorority I've ever heard of!

It's a very rare day when you see an Alpha Delta Pi reference. Our IO is terribly strict about the use of the name! In fact, the only time I can think of is when Alpha Delta Pi Jean Smart, playing Charlene on Designing Women, talks about some adorable coed, with her little Alpha Delta Pi pin...

Sometimes it's frustrating, but at the same time, I certainly understand!

suzipiphi 12-19-2003 12:59 AM

In a book by Fannie Flagg(she wrote fried green tomatoes) the main character is a Kappa. I think it was that book that made me decide to seek greek.