GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Delta Sigma Theta (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Merlin Santana's Killer Convicted (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=26096)

Gina1201 11-10-2002 08:51 PM

Another Tragic Loss

Taken from cnn.com

Actor Merlin Santana killed in shooting in Los Angeles

Sunday, November 10, 2002 Posted: 8:25 PM EST (0125 GMT)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Merlin Santana, a television and film actor who appeared in this year's Eddie Murphy movie "Showtime," was shot to death while sitting in a parked car, authorities said Sunday.

Santana, 26, was killed early Saturday in South Los Angeles, police spokeswoman Lucy Diaz said.

He was sitting in the passenger seat shortly after 2:30 a.m. when at least one person approached the car and fired, Lt. Clay Farrell said.

The driver escaped injury, drove off and flagged down police. Paramedics responded but Santana was pronounced dead at the scene, Farrell said.

No arrests were immediately made and investigators had not determined a motive for the attack.

The New York-born Santana had a recurring role on "The Steve Harvey Show," playing Romeo Santana. The role won him nominations for NAACP Image Awards and ALMA Awards, which honor Hispanic performers.

One of his earliest roles was as Stanley, the faithful admirer of Rudy Huxtable on the hit series "The Cosby Show."

He also had guest appearances on several television shows, including "Major Dad," "Moesha" and "Sister, Sister."

He later joined the casts of "Getting By" and the short-lived James Earl Jones drama "Under One Roof".

D.COM 11-10-2002 10:02 PM

THAT IS SO MESSED UP!

He is Dominican (like me) and I watched him on TV all the time... and liked the roles he played! This makes me SO angry!

First Tupac and Biggie, then Aaliyah, then Left Eye, J Master J, and now this! If it's not GUNS, it's a car or plane accident. What is going on!!???

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet...77/moduleid-38

http://www.wbnx.com/show_stuff/Steve...IO-SHromeo.htm

Afrochic 11-10-2002 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by D.COM
First Tupac and Biggie, then Aaliyah, then Left Eye, J Master J, and now this! If it's not GUNS, it's a car or plane accident. What is going on!!???
[

No matter how we feel about these individuals, the guns, car, plane accidents are harsh realities of life. People feel strongly about celebrities because sometimes there's a tendency to think they are invincible or not human because we see them larger than life on tv. They are like you and me with the exception of publicity in the light of tragedy. What I would like to know is when will the senseless killings stop? Merlin was a talented and handsome young man. He was on Half & Half a few weeks ago for those who view the show. He will be missed in the industry.

korkscru 11-11-2002 01:37 PM

WHAT???!!! :eek: :eek: Oh my goodness!!! I loved this young actor. I never watched the Steve Harvey Show before it became syndicated. However, now that it is, I watch it almost faithfully and I love the actors/actresses (including Merlin Santana). I've also watched him in several other television specials and movies. I can't believe this. It's a sad loss. He was a very handsome fellow and a rather good actor, but it just goes to show that NO ONE is IMMORTAL and when your time comes, it comes.

My sympathy goes out to his family and friends.

OOhsoflyDELTA#9 11-11-2002 09:53 PM

Not good at all.......

I 've always liked the "Steve Harvey" show and especially the character "Romeo". Its tragic anytime we lose a talented young man of color to senseless violence. My prayers and condolences go out to his family and friends.:(

Dancerella1908 11-12-2002 04:43 AM

Another life lose to violence! :mad: My condolences and prayers go out to his family,friends, and fans.

NOWorNEVER 11-12-2002 09:43 AM

Oh wow. *Shaking my head* He was so fine.

nikki1920 11-13-2002 05:15 AM

Did anyone else see the tribute to him at the end of the Steve Harvey Show? That is just too sad.

What was your favorite Romeo episode? Mine was when Rosetta wanted him to "make her a woman" on Prom night, and he told her that she should wait for the right person. I thought that was so sweet. :) (Then Lydia came in and freaked out at his chest! :)

FeeFee 11-13-2002 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by nikki1920
Did anyone else see the tribute to him at the end of the Steve Harvey Show? That is just too sad.

What was your favorite Romeo episode? Mine was when Rosetta wanted him to "make her a woman" on Prom night, and he told her that she should wait for the right person. I thought that was so sweet. :) (Then Lydia came in and freaked out at his chest! :)

When did they show the tribute to him? It is indeed a sad situation we have here. I still remember the first time I saw Merlin on TV. He played Stanley on the Cosby Show where he was one of the kids at the community center that Theo was working in. In the first epsiode he appeared, Theo found out that Stanley was suffering with dyslexia. He was funny then, and was funnier on the Steve Harvey Show. He will be missed. :( :(

nikki1920 11-13-2002 11:49 AM

At the end of the show, they show a few clips of him, and do the We'll miss you, Romeo
Merlin Santana
1975 - 2002

thing.
I remember him when he was Stanley, how he and BUD were fighting for Rudy's affections. I thought he was cute then. :)

kiml122 11-13-2002 12:21 PM

I have been out of the news loop for the last few days. I just heard about this today on GC. This is really so sad. I definitely remember him as Stanley on the Cosby show. I was watching it the other day, and the episode that was on was one that had him in it.

This is really so sad.

lil_sunshine 11-16-2002 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by D.COM
THAT IS SO MESSED UP!

You also have to remember Freaky Tah from the Lost Boyz. He was also gunned down in a random senseless act of violence. All of this is too sad. I don't know when this violence will ever end, but I do know for sure that America is surely going to Hell in a pail full of lit-up gasoline soaked rags. JMHO...

ykimber 11-17-2002 02:44 PM

Teen Charged With Actor's Murder
Nov 15, 2:43 AM EST

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A 15-year-old girl has been charged with murder in the shooting death of television and film actor Merlin Santana, authorities said.

The teen, who was being held in juvenile custody, was also charged with the attempted murder of a man who was with Santana, district attorney's spokeswoman Sandi Gibbons said Thursday. Her identity was not released because she is a minor.

She was ordered to return to court Dec. 10 when a judge will determine if she will be tried as a juvenile or adult.

Santana, who recently appeared in the Eddie Murphy and Robert De Niro movie "Showtime," was shot to death early Saturday while sitting in the passenger seat of a car parked in south Los Angeles.

Police said at least one person approached the car and opened fire, striking the 26-year-old actor. Santana's companion, who was not hit, drove off and flagged down police.

The shooting is still under investigation and police are looking for additional suspects, said Officer Don Cox, a police spokesman. No motive has been given.

The New York-born Santana earned nominations for the National Association of Colored People's Image Awards and the ALMA Awards, which honor Hispanic performers, for his recurring role as Romeo Santana on "The Steve Harvey Show."

ChaosDST 11-17-2002 10:02 PM

Marlin Brando from Sporty Thieves (kind of a "celebrity perhaps) was killed a few years ago when he was walking down the sidewalk and a van jumped the curb, hit, and killed him.

Many people don't mention Big L...especially when they're thinking of "celebrities" who's deaths were untimely and shocking.

Quote:

Originally posted by lil_sunshine
You also have to remember Freaky Tah from the Lost Boyz. He was also gunned down in a random senseless act of violence. All of this is too sad. I don't know when this violence will ever end, but I do know for sure that America is surely going to Hell in a pail full of lit-up gasoline soaked rags. JMHO...

lil_sunshine 11-20-2002 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by ChaosDST
Marlin Brando from Sporty Thieves (kind of a "celebrity perhaps) was killed a few years ago when he was walking down the sidewalk and a van jumped the curb, hit, and killed him.

Many people don't mention Big L...especially when they're thinking of "celebrities" who's deaths were untimely and shocking.

I remember both incidents, and I don't know how I forgot to mention Big L, being that his posthumous CD was released on my birthday in 2000. :eek: